Default Using Sunbrella fabric for pontoon boat seats

I'm planning on reupholstering my pontoon boat this year and I'm
starting to research what fabric to use.

It'd be cool to get away from vinyl. Something more clothlike would be
nicer to sit on.

I need something that'll stand up to the water and also the Arizona
sun. Sun is my biggest concern. There will be wet butts on the seats,
but somehow I think the Sun will be my worst enemy.

I was checking out some of the Sunbrella fabrics used for outdoor
furniture. Has anyone tried using this on a boat?

Any other recommendations for upholstery?

Buster

SandyVigor

Buster,
Hello, I am a Trimmer/Upholstery man. Marine Grade Vynal is best. Be
certain to use a UV Procted Thread when sewing. Then you can treat the
Vynal with a UV Proctetant, (will not name any brands here) but there are
some good and some bad. Armor All is BAD! Do not use that becuase it
contains Silicone and other ingrediants that will make Vynal appear nice,
but after 1 year will ruin it.

SandyVigor

Also, there are alot of Tweeds, and some very nice mixed textiles that are
clothlike, and hold up very well in all weather. Thing to take in mind
about outdoor upholstery is that it lasts about 5 years.

Rich

I used sunbrella to reupholster the seatbacks on my sailboat. Works great,
the stuff is nearly indestructable. Sat in the direct sun every day, washed
down with TSP and bleach regularly, and didn't seem to fade at all. Just
make sure you pick a patern you like, it will be around for a long time.

Rich

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning on reupholstering my pontoon boat this year and I'm
starting to research what fabric to use.

It'd be cool to get away from vinyl. Something more clothlike would be
nicer to sit on.

I need something that'll stand up to the water and also the Arizona
sun. Sun is my biggest concern. There will be wet butts on the seats,
but somehow I think the Sun will be my worst enemy.

I was checking out some of the Sunbrella fabrics used for outdoor
furniture. Has anyone tried using this on a boat?

Any other recommendations for upholstery?

Buster

Clams Canino

Ya Sandy , Name the good stuff. We all know Armor All is the run of the
mill crap. Now tell us what's good.??

-W

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:58:26 -0500, "SandyVigor"
wrote:

Buster,
Hello, I am a Trimmer/Upholstery man. Marine Grade Vynal is best. Be
certain to use a UV Procted Thread when sewing. Then you can treat the
Vynal with a UV Proctetant, (will not name any brands here) but there are
some good and some bad. Armor All is BAD! Do not use that becuase it
contains Silicone and other ingrediants that will make Vynal appear nice,
but after 1 year will ruin it.

Sandy, you named a "bad" name brand.

C'mon, help us out here.. what should we use on our vinyl, if anything?

Rich wrote:
I used sunbrella to reupholster the seatbacks on my sailboat. Works

great,
the stuff is nearly indestructable. Sat in the direct sun every day,

washed
down with TSP and bleach regularly, and didn't seem to fade at all.

Just
make sure you pick a patern you like, it will be around for a long

time.

Rich

Did you use the sunbrella fabric for furniture or the marine/awnings
stuff.

BTW. On spray protectants. I've heard only glowing recommendations
for 303 Aerospace protectant. You can get it at most marine supply and
upholstery shops.

Buster

Rich

wrote in message

Did you use the sunbrella fabric for furniture or the marine/awnings
stuff.

Buster

I didn't know there was a difference. But it was pretty heavy stuff,
probably for awnings.

Rich

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
Dictionary of Paddling Terms :-) Mike McCrea General 3 June 30th 04 11:52 PM