Lloyd Sumpter

Default Operator's Card: What's a "motor"?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:53:23 +0000, BinaryBillTheSailo wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:21:04 GMT, Rick
wrote:

SNIP

An outboard motor is not an engine

Both contain engines.

The people who work with them are Engineers, not Motorers.

Actually, the term "Engineer" comes from the latin "ingenieur", which
is the same root as the work "ingenious" . However, after I looked this
up in my Funk'n'Dictionary, I found that it's also the root for the word
"engine" so you're kinda right after all.

Oh, and most "Engineers" don't work on engines - mechanics do.

Amazing the arkane trivia you learn from reading rec.boats! (Is this
considered "Off-Topic"?)

Lloyd Sumpter, P.Eng.

Don Dando

If anyone really cares....

I collect and restore outboard motors. But I think "motor" has become a
misused word as has engine. Here's my cut at it: A motor is powered buy
electricity and an engine is the result of combustion.

Hence my 220 volt powered table saw has a motor on it rather than an engine.
Also It may be more accurate to say I collect outboard engines. However,
since my auto is not propelled with a battery powered motor, I don't have a
car motor I have a car engine. Locomotives used to have steam engines (ever
hear of a "Steam Motor"), hummm now they have diesel powered electric
motors! Commercial airliners don't seem to contain jet motors, they seem to
contain jet engines. Etc-ad inifinitum, ad nausaum.

But who cares? (I do, I've wanted to correct the world on that for over 50
years! That's my position and I'm stickin' by it ) !

Don Dando

news

wrote:

SNIP

An outboard motor is not an engine

Both contain engines.

The people who work with them are Engineers, not Motorers.

Actually, the term "Engineer" comes from the latin "ingenieur", which
is the same root as the work "ingenious" . However, after I looked this
up in my Funk'n'Dictionary, I found that it's also the root for the word
"engine" so you're kinda right after all.

Oh, and most "Engineers" don't work on engines - mechanics do.

Amazing the arkane trivia you learn from reading rec.boats! (Is this
considered "Off-Topic"?)

Lloyd Sumpter, P.Eng.

surfnturf

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
snip
Oh, and most "Engineers" don't work on engines - mechanics do.

And thank your stars for that! (sorry Lloyd)

surfnturf

surfnturf

Been motoring around in a number of ways (bus, car, cycle, boat); but have
yet to encounter engine used in that context.

Have heard of engine used in somewhat archaic terms to describe a mechanical
device used to perform some sort of task. Which is what engineers do (hi
Lloyd!). :-))

surfnturf

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

If you want to get picky, internal or external combustion "motors" are
correctly called engines, not motors.

Don't get too picky, because that is not correct. A "motor" is a
device that imparts motion. And engine can just about any mechanical
device. An motor could part of an engine. Or a motor itself can be
called an engine. So while it's normal to refer to your powerplant as
an engine, it no less correct to call it a motor.

Jack Dale

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:14:05 GMT, wrote:

If you want to get picky, internal or external combustion "motors" are
correctly called engines, not motors.

The definitions can be found at Bartleby.vom

engine

SYLLABICATION: en·gine

1a. A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion. b.
Such a machine distinguished from an electric, spring-driven, or
hydraulic motor by its use of a fuel. 2a. A mechanical appliance,
instrument, or tool: engines of war. b. An agent, instrument, or means
of accomplishment. 3. A locomotive. 4. A fire engine. 5. Computer
Science A search engine.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/51/E0145100.html

motor

SYLLABICATION: mo·tor

1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts
motion. 2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical
energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of
coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical
power. 3. A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: “It was a night
of lovers. All along the highway … motors were parked and dim figures
were clasped in revery” (Sinclair Lewis, Babbitt 1922).

http://www.bartleby.com/61/24/M0442400.html

An engine, it would seem, is a type of motor.

Jack (retired teacher - some Language Arts and English)

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)

Bryan Vranes

Hey Clams!
Get back to the inline newsgroup- theres no room for hooligans like us
in here where all these fine mariners do is argue the finer points of what
to call that thing that pushes you around in the water, or is that H2O, errr
perhaps agua.... or maybe.... (lol so hard I'm keel-ing over)

C-ya back at bigweek
Bryan

Bryan Vranes

Moot points,
D-day is 2009, then TC says "everyone" operating any vessel in coastal
waterways will have to have one. They seem to think this will keep all the
idiots off the water. The license test is a joke and a cashgrab. So, we'll
have the same problems only they will be licensed then.

2centsworth

Bryan

Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:58:40 +0000, Bryan Vranes wrote:

Moot points,
D-day is 2009, then TC says "everyone" operating any vessel in coastal
waterways will have to have one.

Not quite. Everyone operating a MOTORIZED vessel. Hence the question...

Lloyd