Don White

Default Operator's Card: What's a "motor"?

She should have one anyway...unless you plan to retire from boating by 2009.
I would bet money that your electric outboard is considered a motor for the
'cards' purpose.
If I could find my phamplet, I'd look it up.

Lloyd Sumpter wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:14:05 +0000, BinaryBillTheSailo wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:13:43 GMT, Pat Fusk "
wrote:

According to Transport Canada, a boat is a boat, take it from there.

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

For the Operator's Card requirement, does an electric

trolling-motor
count as a "motor"? The reason I ask is that Near Cove (8ft Walker

Bay) is
often fitted with a Minn Kota 30-lb electric, but never a gas

outboard.
Does my Lady have to have an Operator's Card to run it? ( I have a

card,
but she doesn't) I've looked at the CG website, even the actual
regulations, but can't find a definition of "motor".

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Motor=Mechanical Propulsion

If you want to get picky, internal or external combustion "motors" are
correctly called engines, not motors.

BB

Actually, I didn't want to get picky, or know the "definition" of motor
(vs Engine, etc). I need to know what Transport Canada regards a "motor"
because that's the cornerstone of the Operator's Card requirement: that
the boat have a "motor". And as we all know, the LEGAL definition of a
word is not necessarily the "common" definition (eg "consideration").

I'd like to get my Lady to get her Card anyway, so she can legally operate
the Tin Boat, or Far Cove. But she LIKES running Near Cove with the
electric, so she's more likely to get one if it's required for that. She
clearly does NOT need one to paddle Miss Lily.

Lloyd Sumpter - Operator Card #0150026627