Ishrat Zahid

Default Beginner

Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

/I

Steven Shelikoff

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:27:23 -0500, Ishrat Zahid
wrote:

Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

Around here, there are all sorts of places where you can rent boats.
From rowboats and canoes on lakes, ski boats on rivers, sailboats on the
bay, etc. Look for them in your area after the thaw. You could also
take a Power Squadron course. Sometimes they'll have an outing on a
boat as part of the course. http://www.usps.org/ and for the classes
http://www.usps.org/d_stuff/classes.html

That should get you started.

Steve
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

Steve had a good answer - take a USCG Aux or US Power Squadron course
and get to know some of the folks there. Usually they can point you
in a direction or perhaps take you for a ride.

However, it also depends on what kind of boating you want to do. If
you are looking into fishing, join a local club, get active and you'll
have plenty of opportunities. If it's sailing, join a sailing club.
Look around.

As to renting boats, take a ride along the shoreline where you want to
boat and look at bait shops and marinas. East of the River here in
CT, there are a bunch of places along Route One that rent boats - not
power boats, but small skiffs, sail boats and the like.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
Backyard Renegade

Ishrat Zahid wrote in message ...
Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

/I

Try "boat rentals" in the yellow pages or go to the shoreline and stop
in at a marina
John H

wrote:

Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

/I

Do what Steve and Short Wave said, especially the Coast Guard
Auxiliary boat course.

Also, determine what your major use will be, how much your budget will
allow (unless you don't worry about money), and where and how you will
store the boat. Once you've done that, come back here and let us know.
We will all have many suggestions about boats to fit your
requirements.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi. There a number of clubs that rent boats. Since you are a beginner, I
strongly recommend you take the United States Coast Guard Safe Boating
Class Or Power Squadron Safety Class. There is a lot to know before you
hit the water. Remember, the sea is very unforgiving of ignorance and
incapacity. Find below a URL listing of classes. Just look up the area
you are in.

http://www.cgaux.org/cgauxweb/classes/master.shtml

Feel free to visit my personal website, especially the "Abandon Ship &
Children's and Pet Life Jackets" page" I think you will find some
interesting information there.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks/

Capt. Frank Hopkins
la Dolce Vita

Ishrat Zahid wrote:
Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

/I

Don White

As one who bought a boat first...waited a few years and then started my
Power Squadron courses, I recommend the opposite. Do the courses first...
at least the 'Boating Course' and then think about sailing the high seas.
It would be great if you had a knowledgeable boating friend to come along on
your first few sails.

Ishrat Zahid wrote in message
Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

/I

Rod McInnis

"Ishrat Zahid" wrote in message
Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?

Yep, perfect spot!

I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try out.

What type of boating did you have in mind?

The answer you need would be different if you wanted a sailboat versus a
power boat, or wanted a cruiser versus a day use boat.

If you are interested in sailing there is probably a sailing club or charter
company that will teach you to sail and then rent you boats.

For power boats, you can generally rent a runabout or houseboat on many
lakes. These tend to be rather expensive, however. The usual way people
get into power boating is to jump right in, buy a boat and go for it! Like
others have suggested, taking one of the (almost) free boating safety
courses can be a real good idea before you hit the water for the first time.
Be aware that these courses will NOT teach you how to handle a boat, but it
will teach you some of the rules, regulations and safety issues.

If you are not sure of what type of boat you want, then buy used, as you
will most likely be trading it in once you are sure of what type of boat
works best for you.

Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

Go boating with a friend who has a boat that is similar to what you think
you want!

Rod McInnis

Jack Redington

Ishrat Zahid wrote:
Hi all:

I'm new to the group. Just wondering if this the right forum to rais
this question?
I want to get started with boats, ('ve never done that), want to find
out a cheaper way to start/try
out. Any clubs who would rent boats for members in northeast US (NH,
MA)? Any other tips/things
I should know? Thanks for spending few minutes of yours on me!

/I

I would take a Safe Boating course, Look around for Coast Guard Aux or
Power Squadron classes. They cover more them just boating safety and you
will have folks with all kinds of experiance both in the class and
instructing it.

Also you will find what types are boats are popular for the waters in
your area. If you can't find a class check with your insurance agent.
They should know who provides them in your area.

Good Luck:

Capt Jack R..