Eisboch

Default OT (sorta of).... A lesson learned.

I've driven the New England to South Florida (and back) route several times
in the past four years, but never at the December Holiday Season.

Never again.

We arrived back in Florida today, surviving three major, and I mean MAJOR
traffic jams along the way down route 95.

The first involved a 18 wheeler accident - no injuries- but we spent 2 and
a half hours crawling along at 0 to 15 miles an hour to clear the accident
scene, without exaggeration. When we finally arrived at the scene, there
were about half a dozen state troupers standing around, sipping coffee and
none of them where attempting to control the traffic flow from three lanes
down to one. All the drivers were on their own, to snarl, beep, single
finger communicate, etc. It would have been very effective to have one or
more of these cops coordinating the traffic flow, rather than standing
around shooting the whatever. This was in CT.

Happened again in North Carolina, although not as bad. Then again, just
south of Jacksonville, FL, although I was able to exit onto RT 1 south and
bypass all the delays.

In the future, I'll forgo the white Christmas crap in New England, and just
stay in sunny, 74 degree south Florida.

Eisboch

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I95 is a horrific drive...the highway is overloaded with cars and
trucks, it hasn't enough lanes, and, as you point out, when there's any
sort of accident, there are hours of delays. The section I like least is
between DC and Richmond.

I'd agree with that although south of Richmond it usually is a breeze all
the way to Florida.
I used to really dislike the New Haven, Stratford, Bridgeport and Stamford
CT areas, but they have been much improved over the past couple of years.

I still refuse to go over the George Washington Bridge, no-man's land. I
take 287 over the Tappan Zee bridge, then the Garden State Parkway back to
Rt 95 (Jersey Turnpike).

Eisboch

Paul Schilter

Harry,
Have you read where some Texans want to built a 1/4 mile WIDE super
highway. Something like 6 car lanes, two truck lanes, a train track,
utilities including fiber optic cable. From what the article said the
Republicans (party in control) weren't even supporting the idea. Of course
most of those that would have to give up land for it are against it. It's
supposed to parallel route 35 if I remember correctly. I don't think it will
come to fruitation but they sure do have an imagination down there.
Paul

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

snipped

I95 is a horrific drive...the highway is overloaded with cars and trucks,
it hasn't enough lanes, and, as you point out, when there's any sort of
accident, there are hours of delays. The section I like least is between
DC and Richmond.

We need another major N-S highway from NY to Florida, but, of course, this
country no longer has the resources or the will to undertake major
infrastructure improvement.

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:1104535771.b204b937edc35ff86f406bee539954cf@t eranews...

Seems like a good way to concentrate infrastructure....I-95 should be
four or six lanes the whole way.

I've often wondered how the road surface leading up to the toll booths at
the George Washington Bridge could ever be scheduled for repair and
resurfacing. There are ruts sunk into the pavement that millions of car and
truck tires have created over the years. Imagine trying to shut down that
section of the road for a week or more in order to properly repair the
roads. The traffic backups would become a national disaster.

Eisboch

JohnH

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:33:51 -0500, "Paul Schilter"
paulschilter@comcast dot net wrote:

[...]

Land's cheap in west Texas!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes

Paul Schilter

JohnH,
As I remember it was to run a ways to the east of route 35. It was
envisioned to be a toll route.
Paul

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

RGrew176

From: "Eisboch"

I've driven the New England to South Florida (and back) route several times
in the past four years, but never at the December Holiday Season.

Never again.

Heck, I have driven to Florida from Michigan 4 out of the last 5 years. I use
I-75 then cut over to Kissimmee where my time share is and have not, to date,
experienced your difficulties.

This past holiday season I stayed in Michigan using my time share up in
Traverse City because it cost me fewer points and I have enough left over to go
to Toronto in march for another week.

Basicly, I just did not feel like the drive south this year.
NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

The road is old and overutilized.

Kind of like the vaginal orifice on an old whore, eh?

basskisser

NOYB wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

The road is old and overutilized.

Kind of like the vaginal orifice on an old whore, eh?

What an intelligent post.....as usual.

basskisser

NOYB wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

The road is old and overutilized.

Kind of like the vaginal orifice on an old whore, eh?

Kind of like all of Florida, eh?