JAXAshby

Default More incredible things learned usenet

Incredible, this usenet stuff!!

Just yesterday I learned that a wet exhaust needs an antisiphon valve. [sound
of hand coming sharply to side of head] Why didn't I know THAT? Forever more,
now I am better informed.

who the hell was the stupid cluck who said a wet exhaust needs an antisiphon
valve? who the hell were the stupid clucks who agreed with him/her? Next, we
will hear that bronze screening should be placed over every commode to stop
radiation exposure of the genitals.
katysails

Jax posed: Next, we
will hear that bronze screening should be placed over every commode to stop
radiation exposure of the genitals.

It might help cut down on the surplus population.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Jeff Morris

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Incredible, this usenet stuff!!

Just yesterday I learned that a wet exhaust needs an antisiphon valve. [sound
of hand coming sharply to side of head] Why didn't I know THAT? Forever

more,
now I am better informed.

who the hell was the stupid cluck who said a wet exhaust needs an antisiphon
valve?

Maybe it was the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) in its "Standards and
Recommended Practices for Small Craft":

"The waterlift system shall be designed to prevent siphoning through the raw
water pump when the engine is stopped. If this is accomplished through the use
of a siphon break device, it shall be installed at the top of a loop which shall
rise high enough to assure that the high point where the siphon break device is
installed will always be above the water level surrounding the boat. Depending
on the design of the boat, the condition of its loading, and the sea conditions
encountered, this loop may be 30 to 45 cm (12 to 18 inches) above the waterline
at repose. The loop shall be between the water pump outlet and the point of
injection of cooling water into the exhaust system."

Or maybe it was Calder:
"On any engine that is below the waterline, both the water injection line and
the exhaust pipe create the potential for water to siphon back into the exhaust,
fill it and flow into the engine via open exhaust valves. The injection line
must have an effective siphon break."

who the hell were the stupid clucks who agreed with him/her?

Pretty much everyone, except you. Have you been right about anything in the
last few years?

You can backpedal and nitpick that the water injection line is not part of the
direct path of the exhaust gases, but its pretty clear that everyone considers
it part of the exhaust system.

DSK

"JAXAshby" wrote

Jeff Morris wrote:
Maybe it was the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council)

Yeah, but Jax is *much* smarter than them. I bet none of the ABYC
Technical Committee are in MENSA!

DSK

JAXAshby

oxxy, it is forbidden to have the water injection point below the waterline,
except the rare case when it must be. But that rare case was not the boat
under discussion.

"Jeff Morris"
scribbled thusly:

You can backpedal and nitpick that the water injection line is not part of

the
direct path of the exhaust gases, but its pretty clear that everyone

considers
it part of the exhaust system.

You're learning Jeff.
This is where Jocks will claim victory.
He'll be wrong as usual calling it the raw water system or some such
other but hey. that's Jocks.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Jeff Morris

This is total nonsense. It is quite common, even likely, that the injection
point will be at or near the waterline. Even if its nominally above, one must
add the result of heeling, and possible overloading.

The distance between the injection (with the elbow that raises the injection up)
on the new Yanmar YM series is 16 inches above the prop shaft. While this may
work out on a newer small, fin keel boat, this will very likely be well below
the waterline on a more tradition full keel design where the engine sits deeper.
And, if you subtract some for heeling and overloading, its actually hard to
imagine a setup (other than very small boat) where the injection point isn't
potentially at the waterline.

BTW, my boat, and my previous boat, has a siphon break. I was on a 43 foot
cruising boat today with a Perkins 4-108 where we determined the injection point
was just about at the waterline.

Once again, jax proves he knows about as much about boats as the Tidy Bowl Man.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
oxxy, it is forbidden to have the water injection point below the waterline,
except the rare case when it must be. But that rare case was not the boat
under discussion.

"Jeff Morris"
scribbled thusly:

You can backpedal and nitpick that the water injection line is not part of

the
direct path of the exhaust gases, but its pretty clear that everyone

considers
it part of the exhaust system.

You're learning Jeff.
This is where Jocks will claim victory.
He'll be wrong as usual calling it the raw water system or some such
other but hey. that's Jocks.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

JAXAshby

kriste almighty, jeffies, the very first sentence clearly states "raw water
cooling". That ain't exhaust, dude.

btw, jeffies, it is forbidden practise to install the exhaust water injection
point below the waterline, unless there is absolutely no way that can be done
(unusual, even in cases of the engine mounted in the salon).

now, jeffies, go back to watching TV.