JAXAshby

Default Incredible learning experience

It is incredible what one can learn on a usenet group. Why, just today, I
learned wet exhausts need an anti-siphon valve installed. I bet tomorrow I
learn that sails move a boat forward "because they are curved on one side".
Navigator

Read it and learn:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...iftmuffler.pdf
(note the bit about the anti-spihon valve)

Cheers

JAXAshby wrote:

It is incredible what one can learn on a usenet group. Why, just today, I
learned wet exhausts need an anti-siphon valve installed. I bet tomorrow I
learn that sails move a boat forward "because they are curved on one side".

Thom Stewart

Jax,

I hope this doesn't surprise you to much but look again at any sail
working. You will see that both sides are curved

Ole Thom

Navigator

Yes they are, and they are curved on the other side too!

Cheers

JAXAshby wrote:

I bet tomorrow I
learn that sails move a boat forward "because they are curved on one side".

JAXAshby

dum-dum, *that* antisiphon valve is NOT in the exhaust.

what a dumb cluck.

Also, it refers to a *cooling* water hose -- before the exhaust -- said outlet
of which is ------ lower than the waterline ------- a forbidden practise, and
in most engine installations damned difficult to install incorrectly.

what a dumb cluck.

JAXAshby wrote:

It is incredible what one can learn on a usenet group. Why, just today, I
learned wet exhausts need an anti-siphon valve installed. I bet tomorrow I
learn that sails move a boat forward "because they are curved on one side".

JAXAshby

Jax,

I hope this doesn't surprise you to much but look again at any sail
working. You will see that both sides are curved

Ole Thom

No kidding, Thom?? Gee, you mean all those sailing that say a sail works
"because it is curved on one side" are wrong? But, but, but, it is printed on
paper and if it were wrong they wouldn't print it, would them.

JAXAshby

Just a quick note, Sails are curved on both sides and yes that curve
has a great deal to do with moving the boat.

oxxy, give it up. you make any first year aero eng student choke and gag with
your silliness. you are dumber than his sister, and she is still in high
school.

Thom Stewart

Jax,

The description of the operations of a sail say they work because the
air flows over a curved sail. A CURVED SAIL.

The Jax description of the action is sail is the only one I've seen that
says;"One side of the sail is curved.

Jax, there is a difference between a Sail and a Wing. A Wing can have
one curved side. A Sail, by it's nature, must curve both side.

Now that we understand that, you can continue on with your Troll of
"Newton's Laws" for the action of a Sail's power generation.

While you're at it, why not explain Jax's Method of up wind motion with
bare poles! ( That was a good one) Maybe Horse-Fat will understand.

Ole Thom