MyBoatSank.com

Default Boston Whaler or Grady White?

Believe me go with the Boston Whaler. I almost lost my life and father
while fishing on my Grady White Marlin 28' which I purchased in Seattle
at Jacobsen's Marine. Take a look at the disaster photos:

http://www.MyBoatSank.com

The photos on this website are of my Grady White Marlin 28. She is a
1990 model and is equipped with twin Yamaha 250 Sal****er Series
outboard engines. She also has a four stroke 9.9hp Yamaha kicker motor
and all of the fishing gear that you could ever dream of. I purchased
the boat at the Seattle Boat Show in late January of 2004 from a local
Grady White dealer, Jacobsen's Marine in the Ballard area of Seattle,
Washington. She sank seven months later on September 3, 2004 while
fishing with my father at the mouth of the Columbia River. Within
eight minutes of leaving the safety of the harbor in Ilwaco, Washington
the boat had slipped enough water through a cracked open seam in our
splash well to fatally condemn our trip. The experience was absolutely
terrifying as my father who is in his eighties and I crossed the
Columbia Bar, the "Graveyard of the Pacific", in a sinking boat. Worse
yet was not knowing why the boat was sinking. Even worse than that was
the response I received from both the dealer, Jacobsen's Marine and the
company, Grady White of North Carolina. In the near future, this
website will provide more photos, details on how My Grady White Sank
and marine safety considerations that will certainly make your boat
safer.

Thanks for letting me know what you think.

K. Smith

Well of course commiserations on your misfortune & at the same time
congrats that all lives are safe.

So expect some of the NG spammers & dealer lackies will run a spirited
defense of this dealer. In this regard I'll warn you of Gould a blatant
deliverer of NG spam here.

Don't be discouraged when they attack you personally & spin this so
it's all your fault.

The internet & these types of groups, if we could get rid of the off
topic simpletons:-), are a new experience for sellers who think they can
still get away with their time honoured don't care attitude.

OMC a huge Co, was sent under because unhappy boater-campers; who were
lied to by dealers & bought their defective engines quickly found out
they weren't alone & didn't have to take being BS'd to by dealers.

Also a member of this NG called Madcow had good success against
Brunswick a few years ago by not accepting BS & telling the world what
was going on, she got her Mercruiser repaired when at first they didn't
want to know her.

I'm skeptical that the manufacturer will care much about a 1990 boat
nor a dealer after your cheque has cleared, so I don't hold out false hope.

However you can & should let the world know of your experience, could
have cost your Dad his life & yours:-)

So good luck & thanks for letting the world know:-)

Gee it seems that part of the world produces a certain type of boat
seller, when does it become a pattern???

MyBoatSank.com wrote:
[...]

Gould 0738

So expect some of the NG spammers & dealer lackies will run a spirited
defense of this dealer. In this regard I'll warn you of Gould a blatant
deliverer of NG spam here.

This is about the third unprovoked attack this week,

What set you off, again, Karen Smith?

Do you have any remarks that might help this party, or is merely using his
misfortune as an opportunity to lash out at
other people a sufficient reason for your post?

The very good news is that there was no loss of life. To split a very tiny
hair, the boat capsized, rather than sank, but that's no less a disaster.

The Columbia Bar is one of the most treacherous places to take a small boat on
the west coast. Conditions there can get so severe, that the CG runs a
"surfman" school at the location. In surfman school, trainees are taught to
broach 40-foot patrol boats until they roll. All aboard are strapped in place,
and can be under water for several seconds before the self-righting design
turns un-turtle.

Lots of people get in trouble there with inadequate or unseaworthy vessels or
inexperienced seamanship. Sometimes people with adequate skill and proper boats
will simply encounter some terrible luck. If the boat in question were
manufactured with the defect noted in the complaint, then its a miracle it
didn't sink sometime during the first decade.

K. Smith

Gould 0738 wrote:
So expect some of the NG spammers & dealer lackies will run a spirited
defense of this dealer. In this regard I'll warn you of Gould a blatant
deliverer of NG spam here.

& this would be the spammer I warned you about & below is what you're
up against, Chinese whispers.

This is about the third unprovoked attack this week,

What set you off, again, Karen Smith?

Your endless OT political posts!!!

Do you have any remarks that might help this party, or is merely using his
misfortune as an opportunity to lash out at
other people a sufficient reason for your post?

I'm encouraging this person to stick with it.

The very good news is that there was no loss of life. To split a very tiny
hair, the boat capsized, rather than sank, but that's no less a disaster.

If you actually knew anything about boats of that type, you'd know they
nearly always roll over once there's some real water aboard. I guess you
think if you can spin it to a capsize on a dangerous bar you can spam
the dealer's post sinking behaviour away??? Nice try though.

The Columbia Bar is one of the most treacherous places to take a small boat on
the west coast. Conditions there can get so severe, that the CG runs a
"surfman" school at the location. In surfman school, trainees are taught to
broach 40-foot patrol boats until they roll. All aboard are strapped in place,
and can be under water for several seconds before the self-righting design
turns un-turtle.

Yeah yeah you blokes are all the same, all so brave, give it up Chuck
if it was rough then it was rough but it sank!!!! It didn't seem rough
in the rescue pics.

Lots of people get in trouble there with inadequate or unseaworthy vessels or
inexperienced seamanship. Sometimes people with adequate skill and proper boats
will simply encounter some terrible luck. If the boat in question were
manufactured with the defect noted in the complaint, then its a miracle it
didn't sink sometime during the first decade.

The owner bought it comparatively recently from one of your mates, when
he got into trouble for whatever reason(s) your dealers just dumped him,
that's the complaint & good on him for telling us about it.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 7 Dec 2004 00:32:07 -0800, "MyBoatSank.com"
wrote:

Believe me go with the Boston Whaler. I almost lost my life and father
while fishing on my Grady White Marlin 28' which I purchased in Seattle
at Jacobsen's Marine. Take a look at the disaster photos:

http://www.MyBoatSank.com

Out of curiosity, did you have the boat surveyed before you bought it?

Later,

Tom
NOYB

"MyBoatSank.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've owned (in order) a 13' Whaler, a 22' Whaler, and a 23' Grady-White. I
currently own a 17' Whaler and 25' Whaler. My dad owns a 15' Whaler, and my
brother owns an 18' Whaler. For the exact reason that you give, I prefer the
Whaler. I loved the lay-out of the Grady (easier to fish), but the ride was
worse than the 22 or 25 Whaler, it was wetter, and it wasn't unsinkable.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:50:20 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

I've owned (in order) a 13' Whaler, a 22' Whaler, and a 23' Grady-White. I
currently own a 17' Whaler and 25' Whaler. My dad owns a 15' Whaler, and my
brother owns an 18' Whaler. For the exact reason that you give, I prefer the
Whaler. I loved the lay-out of the Grady (easier to fish), but the ride was
worse than the 22 or 25 Whaler, it was wetter, and it wasn't unsinkable.

Prior to the Contender, I was looking for a new, larger boat for
longer offshore trips and trips outside of the islands. Boston Whaler
was high on my list of boats, but the pricing was outrageous compared
to other boats I looked at. I could certainly afford one - it just
went against my natural reluctance to pay the biggest bucks for
something. That and Whaler didn't really make a boat similar to the
Fountain/Contender/Regulator/Mako type of center consoles with the
enclosed cuddy in the bow (although they did once). I also didn't
care for the lack of room in the Outrage series - the cockpit seemed
very cramped.

But they are good boats - no doubt about it.

I still wouldn't trade my Contender for one. :)

Later,

Tom

NOYB

[...]

That's the one that I have. 25' Boston Whaler Outrage Cuddy. It's great
with the kids because they can escape the sun or bad weather and take a nap.
To be honest though, I'd rather have Whaler's 28' Outrage from 1999-2002.
It's a center console...but the console is really just a big cabin plunked
down in the middle of the boat. It provides true 360 degree fishability
without having to step up onto a narrow walkaround platform like a Grady
requires. Contender makes a 31' and a 36' with this same configuration...but
Contender's cabins are sleeker, thus providing more fishability above decks.
Tarpon, Kings, and Permit are three fish that will circle your boat several
times while fighting them. If you happen to be anchored, you better be able
to pass that rod under the anchor line when the fish goes under it.

I prefer fishing for tarpon from the 17' for that very reason. The biggest
one I caught weighed about 100 lbs. I fought him on spinning gear (Penn
7500 SS and 30 lb test) for 45 minutes...and he passed under the anchor line
7 times.

I also didn't
care for the lack of room in the Outrage series - the cockpit seemed
very cramped.

Yes, the new ones are tight. I believe that Whaler has mislabeled them, by
counting the added length from the pulpit and Euro transom. The 24' has the
cockpit and walkaround room of a 21-footer. The 27' has the room of a
24-footer, and the 32' has the room of a 29-footer. When you take that into
account, then the Whaler *really* looks expensive when you compare it to
boats with equal room. Nevertheless, I'd buy one...but I'd wait until it was
4 or 5 years old and a little bit cheaper. Once the initial depreciation is
out of a new Whaler, you can sell it several years later for almost the same
price that you paid for it.

But they are good boats - no doubt about it.

I still wouldn't trade my Contender for one. :)

Even in 8 foot confused seas, with two dead batteries, and a leaky live-well
thru-hull? ;-)

Wayne.B

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:27:29 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

I prefer fishing for tarpon from the 17' for that very reason. The biggest
one I caught weighed about 100 lbs. I fought him on spinning gear (Penn
7500 SS and 30 lb test) for 45 minutes...and he passed under the anchor line
7 times.

Where did you catch it, and what kind of bait?