Wayne.B

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:40:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Remember the NCR line of transceivers?

=================================

The Signal/One CX7. Never actually saw one but I know it was
supposed to be the marvel of its' day. Any idea how many were
actually built? When I was a kid in the 50s and early 60s, I always
aspired to a Collins KWS-1 and 75A-4. They were built like the
proverbial brick house. By the early 70s I could actually afford
something of that quality, but was living in a Manhattan apartment
that was none too big for even the essentials. I ended up with a nice
little R L Drake rig that tucked into the corner of the living room.

Any experience with the Icom M-802 as a ham rig? I'm thinking of
getting one for the Grand Banks.

Eisboch

wrote:

Remember the NCR line of transceivers?

=================================

The Signal/One CX7. Never actually saw one but I know it was
supposed to be the marvel of its' day. Any idea how many were
actually built? When I was a kid in the 50s and early 60s, I always
aspired to a Collins KWS-1 and 75A-4. They were built like the
proverbial brick house. By the early 70s I could actually afford
something of that quality, but was living in a Manhattan apartment
that was none too big for even the essentials. I ended up with a nice
little R L Drake rig that tucked into the corner of the living room.

Any experience with the Icom M-802 as a ham rig? I'm thinking of
getting one for the Grand Banks.

You guys are obviously up to speed on these radios, so I might be bugging
you with a few questions. The SSB in our (oops) Mrs.E's soon to be Grand
Banks is an Icom M-710, which I assume must be an older or less expensive
version of the M-802. Unfortunately, the last SSB transmitter or
transciever I ever tuned up or operated had tubes in it. I found some specs
on the M-710 at:

http://www.northeastmarineelectronic...M710-21-SSB.HT
ML

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Actually, they are pretty much identical radios except that the 802
has a remote mounted control head and speaker. The 710 is an all in
one deal. You are correct in that the 802 is a newer version of the
710. Don't try to make sense of the number scheme - none of it makes
sense. :)

The major difference is that the 802 is almost a completely digital
product - there isn't a lot of A-to-D technology in that radio. It
also has built-in Digital Signal Processing which is a plus. I think
the 710 has mechanical filters, but I'm not sure of that. You might
want to check and see if the 710 has all the filters installed.

I believe that the 710 tuner is installed. Those are a must on a boat
- otherwise you get some odd results with unbalanced antennas. I can
give you some grounding pointers when it comes 'round to it to improve
tuning and transmit performance. Same with the 802.

Icom is a great radio company and I know a lot of hams who use Icom
products almost exclusively. I didn't care for the Icom front panel
control scheme so my modern ham gear is all Yaesu.

Personally, I like the remote control panel deal - I have a Yaesu
FT-900 with that scheme and I like it a lot when I'm operating mobile
- hides the main radio and you can disconnect the control head and put
that in a glove compartment.

Ask away - always up for a radio discussion. :)

Later,

Tom
Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message

I believe that the 710 tuner is installed. Those are a must on a boat
- otherwise you get some odd results with unbalanced antennas. I can
give you some grounding pointers when it comes 'round to it to improve
tuning and transmit performance. Same with the 802.

Icom is a great radio company and I know a lot of hams who use Icom
products almost exclusively. I didn't care for the Icom front panel
control scheme so my modern ham gear is all Yaesu.

Personally, I like the remote control panel deal - I have a Yaesu
FT-900 with that scheme and I like it a lot when I'm operating mobile
- hides the main radio and you can disconnect the control head and put
that in a glove compartment.

Ask away - always up for a radio discussion. :)

Later,

Tom

It does have the automatic matching network or antenna tuner as they call
it. When we officially close on the boat deal, which should be early next
week, I am going to pull the radio and antenna out of the boat and play with
it in the garage. We just have to finish the hull survey and get the results
of the oil analysis.

Of course, I will check into the license, I will, I will. I used to stand
MARS watches for a while in the Navy, and that's the last time I played with
these things. I used to fix 'em but I didn't know anything about using 'em.
I am sure I'll have some dumb questions.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:35:56 GMT, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Just remember to keep the antenna in the clear when you are tinkering
with the radio. Closeted in the garage can produce some interesting
results with the house electrical system, not to mention the cars,
trucks, tractors and other odds and ends like TV.

Later,

Tom

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message

Just remember to keep the antenna in the clear when you are tinkering
with the radio. Closeted in the garage can produce some interesting
results with the house electrical system, not to mention the cars,
trucks, tractors and other odds and ends like TV.

Later,

Tom

Ya mean I can't use Mrs. E's Lincoln Navigator as a ground plane?

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:44:31 GMT, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message
.. .

Just remember to keep the antenna in the clear when you are tinkering
with the radio. Closeted in the garage can produce some interesting
results with the house electrical system, not to mention the cars,
trucks, tractors and other odds and ends like TV.

Ya mean I can't use Mrs. E's Lincoln Navigator as a ground plane?

That's pretty much the point.

Later,

Tom

Eisboch

Dan Krueger wrote in message
ink.net...
I thought you were a beemer guy. I've seen you over there a few times.

Dan

Seen me? Where?

Used to have a beemer, but got rid of it a year ago.

Eisboch