Gould 0738

Default From some old archives........

Our regional boating magazine is about to observe its 40th year of publication,
so I'm digging through issues from each of the first few decades to choose
material for an article to lauch the anniversay year.

Here's a couple of chucklers:

From a display ad in the November 1965 issue:

Robinson Marina (now long gone from 19th and Norton in Everett WA) was the
authorized dealer for Owens boats. A new 24-foot "Express" is advertised as
follows: "Minimum maintenance vinyl-covered foredeck...teak toe rail...complete
cabin interior...private marine lavatory with basin...sleeps four...vinyl
covered polyfoam cushions...dish and glass racks...food locker. Available with
standard 185HP Flagship or optional 150 HP MerCruiser stern drive...canopy top
optional.
With all standard equipment, $5,590

A subsequent issue ran a headline that would hardly fly today. Noting that a
local marina had put up some festive lights for the holidays, the article read
"Shilshole Marina Gay for Christmas"

T&G Electronics was advertising some VHF radios. (Remember, these are 1965
prices...) The 75-watt, six channel model was available for $299. A 110-watt
model, also six channel, was priced at $399. The top of the line, very deluxe
150-watt unit with *8* Channels (!) was a mere $549. (A lot of middle-class
jobs only paid about $500/month back then. Imagine taking out an 18-month
installment loan to buy a VHF)

Marine sanitation was a bit more primitive in the mid-60's, judging from this
partial description of,,,,,"Luxury Boat offered by Fairliner" Among the
intriguing new boats to be unveiled at the boat show is an entirely new
Fairliner which incorporates possibly more new and watned features than any
other productin boat offered today. ......Other features include: hot and cold
pressure water, a full-sized marine shower, electric push button toilet that
also serves as a garbage dispoal unit" (!) .........{sounds like grind it
and dump it, to me}

What fun! I'm looking at the "conceptual drawings" for two of our prominent
civic marinas, (Des Moines and Kingston) as the original construction on these
two projects was about to begin. I'll bet if the current environmental laws
were in place, facilities like that would *still* be in the discussion stages
after 40 years.

K. Smith

Gould 0738 wrote:
Our regional boating magazine is about to observe its 40th year of publication,
so I'm digging through issues from each of the first few decades to choose
material for an article to lauch the anniversay year.

Here's a couple of chucklers:

From a display ad in the November 1965 issue:

[...]

Thanks Chuck, reminds me of those early SSB radios they cost literally
thousands here, used huge amounts of battery even on standby & you
needed to be Marconi to drive them & their aerial tuners. Always fell to
us, we read the instructions whereas you blokes won't:-)

Garth Almgren

Around 11/18/2004 5:39 PM, Gould 0738 wrote:

Our regional boating magazine is about to observe its 40th year of publication,
so I'm digging through issues from each of the first few decades to choose
material for an article to lauch the anniversay year.

Here's a couple of chucklers:

From a display ad in the November 1965 issue:

Robinson Marina (now long gone from 19th and Norton in Everett WA) was the
authorized dealer for Owens boats.

Hmm. That explains all the old Owens around us at the Port of Everett...

snip

Marine sanitation was a bit more primitive in the mid-60's, judging from this
partial description of,,,,,"Luxury Boat offered by Fairliner" Among the
intriguing new boats to be unveiled at the boat show is an entirely new
Fairliner which incorporates possibly more new and watned features than any
other productin boat offered today. ......Other features include: hot and cold
pressure water, a full-sized marine shower,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Isn't that an oxymoron?

electric push button toilet that
also serves as a garbage dispoal unit" (!) .........{sounds like grind it
and dump it, to me}

Better than what ours was, which skipped the "grind" step.

What fun! I'm looking at the "conceptual drawings" for two of our prominent
civic marinas, (Des Moines and Kingston) as the original construction on these
two projects was about to begin. I'll bet if the current environmental laws
were in place, facilities like that would *still* be in the discussion stages
after 40 years.

No kidding! Can you imagine the hassle in trying to get permits for
building something like the Everett Jetty or the Chittenden locks in
modern days? Yikes!

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Gould 0738

Hmm. That explains all the old Owens around us at the Port of Everett...

If you pick up a free (no spamn) copy after December 15, it's likely you'll see
the old Owens ad. Depends slightly on pagination and other factors, but the
Owens ad is definitely in the mix as of now.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:31:30 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 19 Nov 2004 01:39:52 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Our regional boating magazine is about to observe its 40th year of publication,
so I'm digging through issues from each of the first few decades to choose
material for an article to lauch the anniversay year.

~~ snippage ~~

T&G Electronics was advertising some VHF radios. (Remember, these are 1965
prices...) The 75-watt, six channel model was available for $299. A 110-watt
model, also six channel, was priced at $399. The top of the line, very deluxe
150-watt unit with *8* Channels (!) was a mere $549. (A lot of middle-class
jobs only paid about $500/month back then. Imagine taking out an 18-month
installment loan to buy a VHF)

And those were crystal controlled with flibberdejibbet tune controls.

I have one in my collection of antique radios - I'll take a picture
today and post it.

Gosh...from the days when Radio Shack was a real electronics hobbyist
store.

First store ever - right across from BU on Commonwealth Avenue in
Boston. I had a Radio Shack short wave receiver from that my Uncle
sent me one Christmas. I was living in WI at the time (before we
moved east) and heard the BBC for the first time when I was around ten
sitting in my room with wire strung all over the place hooked up to
the little transistor "Shortwave" receiver. Sparked my interest in
electronics actually.

Remember Lafayette Electronics? My first FM receiver was a Lafayette
- I'll never forget putting that kit together - took me almost a month
working after homework was finished late into the night. Got it
together and had to tune it and bought my first piece of test
equipment - a signal generator - which was also a kit. :) I
remember my father saying "FM - it will never catch on - all they play
is classical music". WTMG in Milwaukee in fact had the only FM
transmitter in the mid-west at the time. WGN in Chicago was a couple
of years behind them.

Heathkit was also high on my list of stuff every Christmas when they
were still around. At one time I had a ton of Heath amateur radio and
test equipment. My Dad's first color TV was a Heath. That was fun.

Oh - gosh - how could I forget Allied Electronics on Michigan Avenue
in Milwaukee. I used to beg my Dad to take me to work with him at the
Milwaukee Sentinel on vacations so I could hang at the Allied store in
the afternoon and just look at "stuff".

Ah yes - the gud ole' daze...

Later,

Tom
Eisboch

wrote:

[...]

I certainly do remember Lafayette and Heathkit.

We had a wonderful Radio Shack in downtown New Haven. It had some
displays of "manufactured" goodies, but most of the store consisted of
aisles and aisles of red plastic and painted wood parts bins, with every
electronic piece and part known to mankind, or, at least, all that a kid
could imagine. I think the store was that good because it was in walking
distance of Yale's engineering college.

I remember in the 7th grade finding a brand-new Model A Ford spark coil
there, if not OEM, then one built to Model A specs. Well, I really
needed one badly, because my Science Project for that year was to build
a cloud chamber. Which I did...and the damned thing worked. I still
remember exactly how I built it, too...after all these years.

--

Man, talk about flashbacks ...

Back in the late 50's or very early 60's when "HiFi" was the rage my father
and a group of his friends got into building speaker cabinets for their
"systems". They all met 1 or 2 times a week after work at one of the
friend's garage because he had a well equipped wood working shop. I still
remember the cabinet design - V shaped with a tunable slot along the rear
for bass reinforcement. They took me along to the Radio Shack in Boston to
get the speakers and crossover components and I can still remember the
building and the original Radio Shack sign.

A few years later when we moved to CT, there was a Lafayette Electronics
store at a strip mall on the Merritt Parkway. I saved all my lawn mowing
money one summer because I just *had* to have a Lafayette audio amplifier
kit. I built it and it was the center of my music system for years. I think
the kit was $18.95 and my mother, who drove me to the store when I finally
had the money, just couldn't understand why a box of tubes, resistors and
capacitors meant so much to me.

Little did she know, it was the beginning of what ultimately led to a career
and still remains as an enjoyable hobby.

Eisboch

(sorry 'bout the email Harry. I accidentally hit "reply to sender" instead
of "reply to group"

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

My mother understood this was a good thing even though she didn't
understand it much. My Dad was happy with the hobby as it parallel
his interests in at least one sense.

Talk about sound, though. I found a design in Popular Mechanics for a
set of floor speakers in the early '70s and decided to build them in
the company fab shop. Bought the crossovers and such from a place
called Sterling Electronics in Metarie, LA.

The piece 'de resistance of this system were four bi-amped Dynaco
Stereo-80 power amps, PAT-4 preamp, and a FM-5 receiver - all in kit
form and all built by me. Later on I added a QD-1Quadapter which for
it's time, was 'da bomb! :)

Minor claim to fame - I took a picture of the setup, along with the
Tektronics oscilloscope set up as a signal/audio monitor and sent it
to Ed Laurent who was Dynaco's chief designer for many years. Dynaco
used the picture in one of their advertisements. :)

Ultimately, and the stereo system I currently have, is a set of Bozak
Concert Grands (from the late '70s) powered by six McInsosh 50s (with
the Gold Lion 6L6s - now Svetlana 6L6s), a PAT5 preamp and some solid
state Marantz stuff inbetween. I still have my Garrad Z-100 changer,
but don't use it all that much. Had to build a solid state preamp for
the cd changer.

Damn - I'm getting old. :)

Later,

Tom
Wayne.B

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:01:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
Ultimately, and the stereo system I currently have, is a set of Bozak
Concert Grands (from the late '70s) powered by six McInsosh 50s (with
the Gold Lion 6L6s - now Svetlana 6L6s), a PAT5 preamp and some solid
state Marantz stuff inbetween. I still have my Garrad Z-100 changer,
but don't use it all that much. Had to build a solid state preamp for
the cd changer.

Those 6L6s were some versatile tubes. My first ever novice ham rig
had one as the final amp, circa 1957. There was a metal version of
the 6L6 that was supposedly built to withstand the rigors of being
launched in an antiaircraft shell. The function of the 6L6 was to act
as a proximity fuse which would detonate the shell when the circuit
detected that it was near a metalic object.

What do they cost these days and where do you get them?

Dave Hall

wrote:

[...]

WARNING! Flashback alert! Hide the beanbags and the lava lamps.....

My engineering career was sparked by those "100-in-1" electronic
project kits that Radio Shack used to sell. This led to an interest in
radio, which I cultivated with CB and then Ham radio.

I used to practically live in Radio Shack and Lafayette.

It distresses me to see what Radio Shack has "evolved" into. The have
few parts anymore and are little more than a small time consumer
electronics/toy store. It saddens me to see it that way, but I
understand the market pressures which brought it on. There aren't many
"experimenters" out there anymore who actually use discrete parts.
Most new techies, are into software driven circuits.

Another reason to long for the good old days.....

Dave