Matt Lang

Default How much oil do you use? (4 stroke)

Guys,

I am trying to find out how much more (or less) oil a 2 stroke uses
compared to a 4 stroke.

Thus, I need to know about your 4 stroke motor (inboard or outboard):

- Horsepower, brand
- amount of oil it takes for an oil change (incl filter)
- how often do you change your oil (how many hours)
- how often does the manufacturer recommend you change the oil?
- Does your motor burn or lose oil? Do you have to top up in between
oil changes?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Greg

I have a 4 stroke merc 60, uses no oil between changes @ 100 hrs.
Be sure to tilt motor all the way up and then back down before you check it or
change it so you drain out all the nooks and crannies.
Doug Kanter

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
Guys,

I am trying to find out how much more (or less) oil a 2 stroke uses
compared to a 4 stroke.

Thus, I need to know about your 4 stroke motor (inboard or outboard):

- Horsepower, brand
- amount of oil it takes for an oil change (incl filter)
- how often do you change your oil (how many hours)
- how often does the manufacturer recommend you change the oil?
- Does your motor burn or lose oil? Do you have to top up in between
oil changes?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Don't have specs in front of me, so I can only answer the last question
regarding my Johnson 1996 15 hp 4 stroke (model J15FREDR). It consumes NO
oil between April and November. Zero. I change it twice during that time
period, and based on memory, that's about twice as often as OMC recommends.

Matt Lang

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"Matt Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Ok How much oil do you need for an oil change?

Matt
Doug Kanter

om...

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
[...]

What's the difference? :-) I mean, are you collecting this information in
order to make a purchase decision? Or, what?

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:07:33 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

. com...

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Matt is a spy for Halliburton.

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Matt Lang

What's the difference? :-) I mean, are you collecting this information in
order to make a purchase decision? Or, what?

Matt is a spy for Halliburton.

Later,

Tom

Dont tell them! Not everybody needs to know
Matt Lang

Ok How much oil do you need for an oil change?

Matt

What's the difference? :-) I mean, are you collecting this information in
order to make a purchase decision? Or, what?

I have 200 HP 2 stroke and just want to feel better by knowing how
much oil a 4stroke uses

Matt

Look here for a chart 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/2093/oil.jpg
K. Smith

Matt Lang wrote:
Ok How much oil do you need for an oil change?

Matt

What's the difference? :-) I mean, are you collecting this information in
order to make a purchase decision? Or, what?

I have 200 HP 2 stroke and just want to feel better by knowing how
much oil a 4stroke uses

Matt

Look here for a chart 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/2093/oil.jpg

Had a look at the chart, what's the issue???

It confirms that the modern 2 strokes use less oil than the older ones,
but this is an allusion really when you take into account the extra
costs & while the dealers won't admit it you "should" clean the holding
tank every year. Once in there oil subject to heat & moisture
deteriorates into sludge with even the smallest amounts of water.

Again "all" the oil in a 2 stroke (by your graph the same or more than
a 4 stroke) still goes somewhere, either burnt or out the exhaust as raw
oil, I accept what you say about oily rags etc but we're talking the
entirety of the oil, not just sundry cleanup wipes.

There is another issue with the dfi 2 strokes & their oil, it's related
to raw oil injected into the crankcase, the oil builds up till excess is
"transferred", it either then gets burnt or goes straight through the
exhaust as raw oil. The system injects very small amounts at idle or
even low revs, however the oil is subject to considerable heat buildup,
unlike 4 strokes oil or even an old tech 2 stroke when it was diluted
with fuel & traveled through the engine relatively quickly. This is why
they've promoted special oils, because the oil can get hot enough to
bake behind the rings & it's all down hill from there.

Harry is a liar & has never actually owned a boat much less an optimax
engine. As for his old "hundreds of hours" lie, when he fabricated that
phantom boat in 98 he claimed here after a few mths use he had 200 hours
on it, it's just more evidence of a total lie.

What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
2004 9.9 Mercury - 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Donald MacQueen General 6 July 27th 04 04:28 AM
Need a new 2-4 hp outboard - must be 2 stroke - what's available outside California Tom Cruising 26 April 27th 04 04:05 AM
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke?? jeffo General 7 February 14th 04 11:20 PM
4 stroke produces more "thrust"???? RG General 24 December 10th 03 03:14 AM