Matt Lang

Default How much oil do you use? (4 stroke)

Guys,

I am trying to find out how much more (or less) oil a 2 stroke uses
compared to a 4 stroke.

Thus, I need to know about your 4 stroke motor (inboard or outboard):

- Horsepower, brand
- amount of oil it takes for an oil change (incl filter)
- how often do you change your oil (how many hours)
- how often does the manufacturer recommend you change the oil?
- Does your motor burn or lose oil? Do you have to top up in between
oil changes?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Greg

I have a 4 stroke merc 60, uses no oil between changes @ 100 hrs.
Be sure to tilt motor all the way up and then back down before you check it or
change it so you drain out all the nooks and crannies.
Doug Kanter

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
Guys,

I am trying to find out how much more (or less) oil a 2 stroke uses
compared to a 4 stroke.

Thus, I need to know about your 4 stroke motor (inboard or outboard):

- Horsepower, brand
- amount of oil it takes for an oil change (incl filter)
- how often do you change your oil (how many hours)
- how often does the manufacturer recommend you change the oil?
- Does your motor burn or lose oil? Do you have to top up in between
oil changes?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Don't have specs in front of me, so I can only answer the last question
regarding my Johnson 1996 15 hp 4 stroke (model J15FREDR). It consumes NO
oil between April and November. Zero. I change it twice during that time
period, and based on memory, that's about twice as often as OMC recommends.

K. Smith

Matt Lang wrote:
Guys,

I am trying to find out how much more (or less) oil a 2 stroke uses
compared to a 4 stroke.

Thus, I need to know about your 4 stroke motor (inboard or outboard):

- Horsepower, brand

80/na

- amount of oil it takes for an oil change (incl filter)

6 ltrs (9-10 pints)

- how often do you change your oil (how many hours)

50 hrs (oops sometimes a "little" longer:-)) At lease every 6 mths in
time regardless of hours & always new filter(s)

- how often does the manufacturer recommend you change the oil?

NA

- Does your motor burn or lose oil? Do you have to top up in between
oil changes?

no/no

Thanks for your help!

welcome:-)

Matt

Matt Lang

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"Matt Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Ok How much oil do you need for an oil change?

Matt
Matt Lang

"K. Smith" wrote in message ...
Matt Lang wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you guys for the data! Keep 'em coming!

I think its safe to say that if you do run your motor only few hours a
year, like 10-20, a 2 stroke may actually consume less oil. It will
change the more you run it ... Still more data needs to be collected.

A 4 stroke that burns oil, and I was told for cars 1l per 1000 km is
considered no defect (by the manufacturer of course! The owner sees it
differently) will use quiet a bit of oil.

Matt
K. Smith

Matt Lang wrote:
"K. Smith" wrote in message ...

Matt Lang wrote:

[...]

Save you do huge hours per season I doubt a 4 stroke would "use" less
oil than one of the new epa compliant 2 strokes but you might also consider;

(i) The 4 stroke doesn't put oil out into the air or the water, it gets
"changed". Hopefully the used oil gets disposed of correctly, here
that's mostly take it to a garage for their recycle tanks.

(ii) You should at least once a season clean out the oil reservoir on
the 2 strokes (new or old type), the oil in a vented tank absorbs
moisture which creates a sludge in the bottom of the tank.

(iii) The "new" 2 strokes use or at least recommend special dealer only
oils; can be expensive.

Greg

I am probably a heavy user here, about 300-350 hours a year in a 12 month
boating season.
I change my oil 4 times a year, using 3 quarts a change and none between. At
that rate I am using a lot less oil than I did with a 2 stroke. It also gets
recycled.
Figure your oil goes in at 50:1 in a 2 stroke, my 60 uses 3 quarts so I could
burn 37.5 gallons of mix but since you usually use a pint per 6 gallon can it
is really 36.125 gallons. That would only last me about 10 hours at a moderate
cruise speed. The oil saving for me is 90% over a 2 stroke. I could even save
more if I used auto oil instead of Merc brand.. If you also add in the actual
fuel efficiency it is greater than that.
I bet the saving is even greater when you get up into the big Vs. His 6 quart
oil change would "mix" about 72 gallons of gas. A 250 2 stroke could easily
burn that on one day's offshore fishing trip.
Doug Kanter

om...

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
[...]

What's the difference? :-) I mean, are you collecting this information in
order to make a purchase decision? Or, what?

What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
2004 9.9 Mercury - 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Donald MacQueen General 6 July 27th 04 04:28 AM
Need a new 2-4 hp outboard - must be 2 stroke - what's available outside California Tom Cruising 26 April 27th 04 04:05 AM
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke?? jeffo General 7 February 14th 04 11:20 PM
4 stroke produces more "thrust"???? RG General 24 December 10th 03 03:14 AM