Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lloyd Sumpter

Default New Merc 9.9

Excuse me while a vent a bit here...

Last June, I bought a brand-new 2005-model Merc 4-stroke 9.9. This is the
"ultralight" model: around 80lb. Turns out it's a rebadged Tohashu,
apparently.

This was the first brand-new outboard I've ever owned. Until now, I've
been running 20-30 yr old clunker 2-strokes.

First, it doesn't start as easily as I would expect. After going through
the rather complex Starting Procedure (including pushing the button on the
side and bringing the throttle above idle in neutral: recommended by the
Dealer but NOT IN THE MANUAL), it will start after 3-4 pulls. I've had
30-yr-old clunkers that start better than that!

Second, it doesn't idle at all when cold, and once warm, it vibrates so
much in gear that I cannot use it for trolling. Again, my 30-yr-old
Johnson Seahorse idled way smoother.

Third, there's a big "lag" as I go up the throttle. It ALMOST stalls, and
it's very disconcerting. I know the problem - it's right where it's
changing from the idle cct to the power cct in the carb.

Finally, I just got a notice for a recall concerning the reverse hooks and
the throttle/shift function.

I've had the motor into the Dealer three times to try to correct the first
three problems: Their solution was: 1. Showing me how to start it
(including the "throttle=up" not described in the manual), 2. increasing
the idle speed until going into gear gives a loud THUMP, and 3. telling me
"that's normal for that engine".

I'm taking it to another Dealer next week to deal with the recall - I
prefer to have the Dealer I bought it from deal with any warranty issues,
but those guys are CRAP!

Other than that, I DO like the engine. It's quiet, NO SMOKE, lots of
power, and basically the same weight as a 2-stroke. I'm slowly getting
confidence in it's reliability, but that lag keeps scaring me...

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12