Harry Krause

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Excuse me while a vent a bit here...

Last June, I bought a brand-new 2005-model Merc 4-stroke 9.9. This is the
"ultralight" model: around 80lb. Turns out it's a rebadged Tohashu,
apparently.

This was the first brand-new outboard I've ever owned. Until now, I've
been running 20-30 yr old clunker 2-strokes.

First, it doesn't start as easily as I would expect. After going through
the rather complex Starting Procedure (including pushing the button on the
side and bringing the throttle above idle in neutral: recommended by the
Dealer but NOT IN THE MANUAL), it will start after 3-4 pulls. I've had
30-yr-old clunkers that start better than that!

No offense, Lloyd, but I wouldn't buy any new outboard engine without
first test-running a demo. And I wouldn't settle for the answers you are
getting from the dealer. Return it for a refund.

--
A passing thought:

So what if it rains or freezes?