Don White

Default What's with jumbo ballots?

Was watching CBC Newsworld and they said the people in certain areas of Ohio
had 34 different catagories to vote on. No freakin wonder it takes 5-10
minutes for each voter to complete his ballot and jamb up the lines. We
keep it simple up here. In federal elections, you vote for one candidate to
be a member of parliament from 3-5 choices. One voter...one X.
We know who has won by 2100 hrs Atlantic time each election.

Karl Denninger

In article ,
Don White wrote:

Was watching CBC Newsworld and they said the people in certain areas of Ohio
had 34 different catagories to vote on. No freakin wonder it takes 5-10
minutes for each voter to complete his ballot and jamb up the lines. We
keep it simple up here. In federal elections, you vote for one candidate to
be a member of parliament from 3-5 choices. One voter...one X.
We know who has won by 2100 hrs Atlantic time each election.

Presidential election years have, potentially...

1. The Presidental race
2. Your US House Race.
3. (Maybe) one of your two Senate races.
4. State house and senate races (maybe)
5. State governor's race (maybe)
6. Any local races, referrendum issues, etc.

We had about 20 categories on our ballot in my county in Florida, of which
about half were State Constitutional Amendments.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind

Don White

--

An outsider might think an election process so important to the entire free
world would be kept simple. I believe one of the options on an Ohio ballot

JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
Was watching CBC Newsworld and they said the people in certain areas of
Ohio
had 34 different catagories to vote on. No freakin wonder it takes 5-10
minutes for each voter to complete his ballot and jamb up the lines. We
keep it simple up here.

Hmmmm.....pretty evident why you keep it *simple*. ;-)

Don White

"JimH" wrote in message

Hmmmm.....pretty evident why you keep it *simple*. ;-)

We could be livin' the 'simple life' up here, but don't forget...we have a
10th of the population spread over a bigger area and only a small fraction
of the resources to support our system. We very seldom have 'counting'
problems, except for the yahoo in my province who tossed the ballot box in
a local river a while back

Karl Denninger

In article ,
Harry Krause wrote:
I'm not sure what to do with absentee ballots. They're a mess...and we
need a uniform plan to handle them.

I don't feel as if our eleciton procedures and tabulations are honest.

You can't solve this without consolidated federal voter registration, so
that a person CANNOT vote more than once.

In Ohio you did not need to present ANY identification whatsoever. You
could thus easily register in multiple precincts and vote in ALL OF THEM!
While this is a felony, you'll never get caught.

Chicago was famous for this, and likewise, when I lived there, I was never
asked for positive identification before being given a ballot. Same deal.
I could have registered and vote in 10 different precincts - nothing to
stop me.

Here in Florida I am required to either present a positive photo ID, or
swear out an affidavit to get a ballot. That leaves a nice paper trail by
which they can come to my door and arrest me on the felony if I vote more
than once in the state.

We also need to prevent voting in more than one state. That is a trick used
by over 10,000 people in 2000 to vote in both Florida and somewhere else.
That's a felony too, but there's no good way to stop it other than to ban
absentee ballots unless you can prove good cause (e.g. for the military)
to issue them.

IMHO, getting rid of absentee ballots for all except the military or those
out of the country on election day (meaning the postmark has to come from
somewhere outside the US) isn't a bad idea.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind
JimH

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:49:21 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
Was watching CBC Newsworld and they said the people in certain areas of
Ohio
had 34 different catagories to vote on. No freakin wonder it takes 5-10
minutes for each voter to complete his ballot and jamb up the lines. We
keep it simple up here.

Hmmmm.....pretty evident why you keep it *simple*. ;-)

I voted via punch card as most of Ohio does. There were four people on
the ballot for President, the first two I never heard of.

It certainly took 5-10 minutes and I mostly knew the issues.

There were a few Ohio Supreme Court justice races, but it takes a while
to vote for all the local stuff like "Do you want the mayor to have the
ability to appoint a person to the Planning Commission?" and there
were a lot of those where I live.

We had the same ballot if in fact you live in Avon Lake. Yep, it was a
lengthy ballot but it was not confusing for me. It took about the same time
for me.

Dr. Dr. Smithers

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I don't feel as if our eleciton procedures and tabulations are honest.

That is why the democrats will never vote for a change. Kennedy would never
have been elected if there was an honest tally of the votes.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:49:17 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

[...]

Would you believe that this great bastion of Democratic Puritan angst,
the great Nutmeg State, land of the Charter Oak Connecticut that you
will can't sell alcohol on Sunday?

Amazing. :)

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:44:46 GMT, "Dr. Dr. Smithers"
wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I don't feel as if our eleciton procedures and tabulations are honest.

That is why the democrats will never vote for a change. Kennedy would never
have been elected if there was an honest tally of the votes.

Think Nixon of all people who did the right thing for the country even
though he could have been President much sooner.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717