Backyard Renegade

Default Boating on the Suwannee river Fla.???

Thinking about a piece of property in north Florida and I see what
looks to be a larger river (shows up on map) nearby called the
Suwannee. It seems to run to the gulf, can anyone tell me about
boating or recreation on this river?
Scotty
Harry Krause

Backyard Renegade wrote:

Thinking about a piece of property in north Florida and I see what
looks to be a larger river (shows up on map) nearby called the
Suwannee. It seems to run to the gulf, can anyone tell me about
boating or recreation on this river?
Scotty

You're talking about the famous "Way down upon the Suwannee River"
Suwannee. The river begins in Georgia, flows through north central
Florida and empties in the Gulf of Mexico. If you start at the Gulf and
work your way upstream, it isn't really navigable by substantial boats
for much distance. I used to know how far, but I've forgotten. However,
the river in many places is perfectly suitable for canoes and kayaks.
There's a lovely park along I-10 in north central Florida where you can
launch small craft.

North of where the Suwannee empties into the Gulf the Steinhatchee
area.It's called the Big Bend area. There's some fabulous fishing in
that area, and some very active fishing clubs.

If you are interested in fishing and boating in that area, try this folks:

http://www.gofc.us/

Gainesville Offshore Fishing Club

Look for Panacea out on the Florida panhandle, south of Tallahassee.
Great fishing, and a fabulous restaurant that hopefully is still
around...Angelo's Seafood Restaurant, right in Panacea near a big bend
in the road and almost under a bridge. No trolls, though.

Ate there many times when part of my family was in Tallahassee.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Scotty,
The Suwannee is a very unique river. From the flats at the gulf it winds
its way through north Florida and south Georgia. The wife and I were
looking at vacation property in the town of Suwannee. There are some
very "interesting" regulations about septic systems and other utilities.
Before you buy, check the local codes. Also the river has a MAJOR flood
crest during rainy season. Some 35' vertical. Make sure the property is
well above the flood crest, or at least your house is on piers and you
have a bridge to dry land.

Some homes in the area actually float on massive foam blocks laid under
the foundations when the river rises, and, the occupants commute to
shore in jon boats.

The homes are required to have "holding tanks" much like a boat. These
are pumped out by local companies and the waste is hauled away to
treatment plants. It is expensive!

I did notice a lot of fiberglass hull pontoon boats in use, and many
"skiff" boats but few large cruisers. When I asked the locals about
this, I was told there are many moving sandbars and submerged "snags"
that the pontoon boats handle well, but larger vessels tend to call tow
boat a lot.

Otherwise, it is a beautiful river and abounds with fish. Toss in your
bait and come up with lunch. There are ample ramps and plenty of bait
shops. Depending on which area of the river you are in you can catch
everything from Red Bass and Tarpon to Black Bass and Pan FIsh.
Yellowmouth trout are in immense schools at the mouth of the river at
spawning time. With a cane pole you can catch the bag limit in an hour!

There are a few fine dining establishments and many "Huck Finn"
eateries. The area hosts several music festivals and an art show or two.
All of which attract tourists in droves.

Lots of very friendly people. My New York raised wife almost didn't know
how to react to strangers saying hello, and even starting a conversation.

Regards,

Capt. Frank

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Backyard Renegade wrote:

Thinking about a piece of property in north Florida and I see what
looks to be a larger river (shows up on map) nearby called the
Suwannee. It seems to run to the gulf, can anyone tell me about
boating or recreation on this river?
Scotty

Ok to anchor/moor in a river? Scott Downey General 10 October 17th 03 03:45 AM
To Anyone & Everyone New To Boating Capt. Frank Hopkins General 8 August 23rd 03 12:28 AM
**FINALLY** went boating today! YEAH!!!! frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:36 PM
Boating Classes NRUSPS General 0 August 8th 03 06:27 PM
Your favorite boating moment. noah General 4 July 20th 03 05:05 PM