Harry Krause

Default Boating on the Suwannee river Fla.???

Backyard Renegade wrote:

Thinking about a piece of property in north Florida and I see what
looks to be a larger river (shows up on map) nearby called the
Suwannee. It seems to run to the gulf, can anyone tell me about
boating or recreation on this river?
Scotty

You're talking about the famous "Way down upon the Suwannee River"
Suwannee. The river begins in Georgia, flows through north central
Florida and empties in the Gulf of Mexico. If you start at the Gulf and
work your way upstream, it isn't really navigable by substantial boats
for much distance. I used to know how far, but I've forgotten. However,
the river in many places is perfectly suitable for canoes and kayaks.
There's a lovely park along I-10 in north central Florida where you can
launch small craft.

North of where the Suwannee empties into the Gulf the Steinhatchee
area.It's called the Big Bend area. There's some fabulous fishing in
that area, and some very active fishing clubs.

If you are interested in fishing and boating in that area, try this folks:

http://www.gofc.us/

Gainesville Offshore Fishing Club

Look for Panacea out on the Florida panhandle, south of Tallahassee.
Great fishing, and a fabulous restaurant that hopefully is still
around...Angelo's Seafood Restaurant, right in Panacea near a big bend
in the road and almost under a bridge. No trolls, though.

Ate there many times when part of my family was in Tallahassee.

--
Email sent to is never read.