Rich Stern

Default What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

One of life's little comedies: Many people who drive run-of-the-mill mass
produced automobiles, live in pre fab houses in cul-de-sacs, buy their
clothes
and furnishings from Sears, drink cheap beer, and go "out to dinner" at Pizza
Palace will insist they wouldn't be caught in anything except the world's
most
perfect and pristine boat.

Clothes are too expensive at Sears. I have better luck at Marshalls.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Gould 0738

Hmm....How many people would have to die from the hull splitting open
before it would be a "bad product"?

One.

Please relate a single incident where somebody died from the hull "splitting
open".

He pulled the outer hull away from the "putty" with his bare hands.

The putty was from a repair. For gawds sake, take a look at the picture!!

Harry Krause

Rich Stern wrote:

One of life's little comedies: Many people who drive run-of-the-mill mass
produced automobiles, live in pre fab houses in cul-de-sacs, buy their
clothes
and furnishings from Sears, drink cheap beer, and go "out to dinner" at Pizza
Palace will insist they wouldn't be caught in anything except the world's
most
perfect and pristine boat.

Clothes are too expensive at Sears. I have better luck at Marshalls.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

I have some really expensive suits that I wear on those few occasions
where I *have* to wear a suit, These occasions include business meetings
with stuffy people, some fancy dinner in the evening, and the occasional
funeral. Fortunately, all of the occasions I've mentioned are fairly rare.

For any other meeting, I wear plain cotton dress pants from Penney's,
and, usually, a decent dress shirt sans tie.

But I prefer shorts and tee-shirts.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

Larry, many more people boat today than in the days of yesteryear. One of
the
reasons that is true is because boat prices, relatiely speaking, are
reasonable
in comparison to income. If all that were available was the Hatt-level
quality
you swoon over, far fewer people would be boating.

Is a "crappy" Sea Ray that gives twenty years of useful service before it's
ready to be scrap really that bad of a product? It certainly isn't a
Hattaras,
but a comparable Hattaras might cost twice as much, if Hattaras made a
competing product to traditional Hattaras standards. And far fewer people
would buy it.

Sometimes the mark of a good product is not that it lasts forever. A product
can also be good for delivering functionaliy for less money.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

One of life's little comedies: Many people who drive run-of-the-mill mass
produced automobiles, live in pre fab houses in cul-de-sacs, buy their clothes
and furnishings from Sears, drink cheap beer, and go "out to dinner" at Pizza
Palace will insist they wouldn't be caught in anything except the world's most
perfect and pristine boat.

This group is an exception, since most folks here have a boat, but all too
often the
guy who won't consider anything except
the top boat from the top layer in the top drawer uses that as an excuse for
not actually having a boat at all. "You've got a boat, and I don't. But your
boat is a POS!
My boat doesn't exist, (and years have gone by while I've putzed around with
the economics of trying to afford one), but when (and if) I finally get one,
it will be a fine, handcrafted work of art, not some mass produced hunka junk
like that major brand name you own (and enjoy). Even though I'm only going to
boat in the summer months, on a medium size freshwater lake, and the highest
wind ever recorded in the months of June, July, and August in my area was 20
knots, you can bet your bottom dollar I won't settle for a boat that won't
stand up to a hurricane well offshore in the Atlantic! Anything less is a POS!"

A lot or "Brand X is always crap" comments are like that old song "row, row,
row your boat." It hangs around from generation to generation, and nobody takes
it too seriously. It's easy to learn and quickly repeated, and gives you
something to vocalize over if you haven't got any idea how to actually sing.

Aside from issues of taste or style, your boat purchase decision should
be a result of an examination of your financial condition, your intended
use, and the waters where you intend to use the boat.

If you're an inland lake boater and the waters you frequent are not
large or challenging, almost any boat will do. You certainly don't need
an ocean-capable salt water boat to ply the waters of Lake Lanier. Even
a small Bayliner will serve you well there. If you're a skinny water
fisherman working the ICW and its creeks between the Georgia border and
down the east coast of Florida, your best choice might well be a flat
bottomed skiff with not much freeboard. You don't want your boat blown
around on the creeks while you're trying to sneak up on some finned
critters...

I see some odd choices of boat out on Chesapeake Bay, including some
huge sportfishers that never see the ocean and some little aluminum
punts that look as if a wake from a jetski might swamp them. I can't
figure out why anyone would go out on the Bay in boats as small as some
I see.

Heck, if you live in Greater Wichita, Kansas, and do most of your
boating vicariously from whatever magazines you pick out at the barber
shop, you don't need any boat.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Rich Stern

He pulled the outer hull away from the "putty" with his bare hands. I
agree with Pascoe, someone with a hammer could easily put this piece
of **** on the bottom.....so couldn't any tree limb hit when it was
planed at 40.

You don't even know what you are looking at. I challenge you to find such
material in any new Sea Ray. Or Maxum. Or Bayliner.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Paul

Hmm....How many people would have to die from the hull splitting open
before it would be a "bad product"? Is a boat so weak it came apart
in these pictures SAFE to ride into heavy weather which may pop up,
for instance? How cheap is not safe?

If Pascoe mentions that 42 Bertram that took out the pilings again I'm going
to scream. Enough with the Bertram already. For the amount of money it cost
it bloody well better take out some pilings and I think it should be able to
phone me while it's doing that and tell me a bedtime story.

Yes, they have the capability of building a boat that will survive crashing
into pilings during a hurricane. Can any of us afford that? No we can't.

So we have two choices, either stop boating or buy boats that cannot
withstand smashing into pilings.

Everyone who intends to stop boating raise your hand.

I thought so.

So again we have two choices, we can go boating and continually freak out
about our hulls, or we can go boating and enjoy it.

Everyone who intends to spend their precious boating hours freaking out
about their hulls raise your hand.

Larry, put your hand down. Stop freaking out, go boating, enjoy yourself.

Harry Krause

Karl Denninger wrote:

Buy your boats used.

You can indeed afford boats that are built well.

--

Sorry, but I don't like tired old boats...or tired old women, either.
But I do own a nice 1959-1960 car that isn't too tired.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Paul

Buy your boats used.
You can indeed afford boats that are built well.

I am very new to boating and I realize I may be starting an argument which
is very much not my intention, I'm just trying to learn here.

Would there be a difference between being built well and being able to
survive being smashed into pilings by 74 mph winds in a hurricane?

I swear to god that's not intended as flamebait, I honestly thought a well
built boat could still fare badly if loose in a hurricane.

Rural Knight

"Paul" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Buy your boats used.
You can indeed afford boats that are built well.

I am very new to boating and I realize I may be starting an argument which
is very much not my intention, I'm just trying to learn here.

Would there be a difference between being built well and being able to
survive being smashed into pilings by 74 mph winds in a hurricane?

I swear to god that's not intended as flamebait, I honestly thought a well
built boat could still fare badly if loose in a hurricane.

Built well is a combination of form, fit and function - which pretty
much basically describes all manufactured or crafted products.

One can assume that a boat built to survive being smashed into
pilings by 74 mph winds is built well, but does it serve it's intended
function and is it recognizable as a boat? A steel reinforced
concrete block can be designed to float and most likely survive 74
mph winds and probably do some damage to the pilings, but can
you water ski behind it?

I've always been of the opinion that if it suits you and you are
happy with what you have, then it is doing it's job despite what
others say about it's relative merits in comparison.

It's as simple as that.

Later,

Tom

Harry Krause

Paul wrote:
Buy your boats used.
You can indeed afford boats that are built well.

I am very new to boating and I realize I may be starting an argument which
is very much not my intention, I'm just trying to learn here.

Would there be a difference between being built well and being able to
survive being smashed into pilings by 74 mph winds in a hurricane?

I swear to god that's not intended as flamebait, I honestly thought a well
built boat could still fare badly if loose in a hurricane.

Loose, maybe, slammed into pilings? Too many variables.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.