BoatBanter.com

-   -   What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/240-what-qualitity-differences-sea-ray-regal.html)

Bryan July 19th 03 11:44 PM

What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

I understand the Sea Ray is a better qualitty boat. I am trying to
find a starter cuddy for under 20k. i found a 99 19 foot Sea Ray and a
1996 22 foot Regal, both 19k. The regal has a sink and porta potty
(which my wife really wants.) How much difference in qualitity are the
boats thesmselves? I am looking for something to take to Catalina and
to the river.
WIll the 22 foot Regal be better for the ocean trips? I believe there
is only a 1 inch difference in the beam. 8'2" for the Yau and 8'3" for
the Regal.

Thanks for your replies.

Tony Thomas July 20th 03 02:45 AM

What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

I assume these two boats are the ones at Inland Auto, Boat, RV in San
Bernardino, CA.
No real comparison in these two boats. Completely different. Don't get
hung up on brand in this size boat.
Now both boats sound overpriced to me. Both boats should sell for $17k out
the door based on what I saw at www.boattraderonline.com
Check www.boattraderonline.com for other options. Check out the one in Tx.
It even has A/C and is a lot cheaper.

Remember, there are not a lot of people walking around wanting to spend
money on a boat right now. You are in the drivers seat. Stick to a price
of $17k and walk out if he won't take it and tell him to call you when he
decides to. Also demand a 90 day warrenty. That way you don't have to
worry about the engine or anything not working this season. Of course this
assumes you are not going to blow the engine up on purpose to get a new one
for free.

Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

J K July 20th 03 03:44 AM

What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

I have a Searay 22. I can't imagine two adults overnight aboard anything
smaller. Of course, my previous was a 30' Newport sailboat. If you're
planning to overnight with two or more people on board, go with larger
boat. Of course, there are many areas of concern in buying a used boat.
One very significant factor is the (...wife really wants.) factor!

J K

Larry July 31st 03 05:35 AM

What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

Your perceptions of Sea Ray from the slick brochures and extensive
marketing are not quite correct......

Look INSIDE a Sea Ray hull he
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

Think Bayliner......Brunswick owns them both.
I own one......my last one.

The pictures don't lie.......ONE woven layer just so the surveyors
THINK it 's fiberglass....which, obviously from the pictures, it's
not!

Don't know about the Regal......I think most new boats are built this
way now to be made so cheap with so much profit. Those dealers riding
around with the Rolex in a Lexus are part of the problem.

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:44:09 -0700, Bryan
wrote:

I understand the Sea Ray is a better qualitty boat. I am trying to
find a starter cuddy for under 20k. i found a 99 19 foot Sea Ray and a
1996 22 foot Regal, both 19k. The regal has a sink and porta potty
(which my wife really wants.) How much difference in qualitity are the
boats thesmselves? I am looking for something to take to Catalina and
to the river.
WIll the 22 foot Regal be better for the ocean trips? I believe there
is only a 1 inch difference in the beam. 8'2" for the Yau and 8'3" for
the Regal.

Thanks for your replies.

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"

Gould 0738 July 31st 03 07:30 AM

What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

The pictures don't lie......

No. So why pick Sea Ray out for special crucifixion?

Take a look at the pictures you link to.

See that one in the upper left?

Looks like the "chunks" of stuff are labeled by brand name. I can clearly see
Chapparal and Formula labels, along with the Sea Ray. Neither Chapparal or
Formula are Brunswick products.

Don't know about the Regal......I think most new boats are built this
way now to be made so cheap with so much profit. Those dealers riding
around with the Rolex in a Lexus are part of the problem.

Here's a real shocker for you: The dealers don't build the boats!

Larry July 31st 03 02:13 PM

On 31 Jul 2003 06:30:39 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

The pictures don't lie......

No. So why pick Sea Ray out for special crucifixion?

A) I own one that's made of cheap crap all mildewed and falling apart
so I have first hand experience losing $12,000 in the process....

B) He asked about Sea Ray and Regal and I know about Sea Ray.

Good enough?

Take a look at the pictures you link to.

See that one in the upper left?

Looks like the "chunks" of stuff are labeled by brand name. I can clearly see
Chapparal and Formula labels, along with the Sea Ray. Neither Chapparal or
Formula are Brunswick products.

Oh, yes. Pascoe always opens himself up to litigation from Brunswick
by lies and false statements. Get real....THEY SUCK!

Don't know about the Regal......I think most new boats are built this
way now to be made so cheap with so much profit. Those dealers riding
around with the Rolex in a Lexus are part of the problem.

Here's a real shocker for you: The dealers don't build the boats!

No, they don't....But a BIG portion of the price is DEALER
MARKUP....but, you being a dealer, you already know that.

Gould 0738 July 31st 03 04:42 PM

What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

Here's a real shocker for you Chuckie - the dealers do sell them, and they
either do or should know how they're built.

Karlie- Are the dealers *responsible* for the construction of the product? Do
they design and construct the boats? Of course not. There's a difference
between knowing how a boat is built and being responsible for building it that
way.

So what have 100's of dealers done over the years when the quality of the
product they are buying from the builder drops below the standard they would
like to offer to their customers? Usually, they will voice their opinion and
try to lobby for upgrades.
If that doesn't happen, dealers will often change franchises rather than sell a
produt that doesn't meet their company or personal standards.

There's a reason I have an older Hatteras - it doesn't have that kind of
crap in the hull bottom. It is nice, thick, SOLID fiberglass.

Keep that Hatt in good repair, because if you ever have to buy a new one it
will be built by Brunswick. :-)

Harry Krause August 1st 03 12:25 AM

Larry wrote:

On 31 Jul 2003 15:42:22 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Here's a real shocker for you Chuckie - the dealers do sell them, and they
either do or should know how they're built.

Karlie- Are the dealers *responsible* for the construction of the product? Do
they design and construct the boats? Of course not. There's a difference
between knowing how a boat is built and being responsible for building it that
way.

Yes, they are. The FTC manual on warranties specifies that the DEALER
is responsible for seeing that any product he sells is ready to be
sold and does what he promotes to the customers it will do.....It's
called "Implied warranty of Merchantability" and "Implied warranty of
suitability for a particular purpose".

Larry the Lawyer. What a giggle.

--
* * *
email sent to

Rich Stern August 1st 03 02:22 PM

What are the qualitity differences. Sea Ray-Regal

Idiots....the customers are leaving in droves, including me. That old
Hatteras with the layer after layer of fine fiberglass so thick you
can't hear the waves outside is a much better boat than any of the
crap bubbleboats on the lot made of putty.....

Larry, many more people boat today than in the days of yesteryear. One of the
reasons that is true is because boat prices, relatiely speaking, are reasonable
in comparison to income. If all that were available was the Hatt-level quality
you swoon over, far fewer people would be boating.

Is a "crappy" Sea Ray that gives twenty years of useful service before it's
ready to be scrap really that bad of a product? It certainly isn't a Hattaras,
but a comparable Hattaras might cost twice as much, if Hattaras made a
competing product to traditional Hattaras standards. And far fewer people
would buy it.

Sometimes the mark of a good product is not that it lasts forever. A product
can also be good for delivering functionaliy for less money.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Gould 0738 August 1st 03 04:16 PM

[...]

One of life's little comedies: Many people who drive run-of-the-mill mass
produced automobiles, live in pre fab houses in cul-de-sacs, buy their clothes
and furnishings from Sears, drink cheap beer, and go "out to dinner" at Pizza
Palace will insist they wouldn't be caught in anything except the world's most
perfect and pristine boat.

This group is an exception, since most folks here have a boat, but all too
often the
guy who won't consider anything except
the top boat from the top layer in the top drawer uses that as an excuse for
not actually having a boat at all. "You've got a boat, and I don't. But your
boat is a POS!
My boat doesn't exist, (and years have gone by while I've putzed around with
the economics of trying to afford one), but when (and if) I finally get one,
it will be a fine, handcrafted work of art, not some mass produced hunka junk
like that major brand name you own (and enjoy). Even though I'm only going to
boat in the summer months, on a medium size freshwater lake, and the highest
wind ever recorded in the months of June, July, and August in my area was 20
knots, you can bet your bottom dollar I won't settle for a boat that won't
stand up to a hurricane well offshore in the Atlantic! Anything less is a POS!"

A lot or "Brand X is always crap" comments are like that old song "row, row,
row your boat." It hangs around from generation to generation, and nobody takes
it too seriously. It's easy to learn and quickly repeated, and gives you
something to vocalize over if you haven't got any idea how to actually sing.