BoatBanter.com

-   -   Off the Topic. I'm waiting to see... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2357-off-topic-im-waiting-see.html)

JohnH December 14th 03 01:13 PM

Off the Topic. I'm waiting to see...

all the congratulatory messages from Harry, jps, basskisser, gould, et al.
our capture of Saddam. Harry, I could imagine the glee in your eyes when you
came across the video of the Iraqi getting (supposedly) murdered by a Marine
after being wounded. Yes, I would call it murder, if it occurred. I have doubts
about the authenticity of the video. For one thing, why has it not been shown on
any of the networks? Surely, if it were substantiatable, NBC, ABC, CNN, etc.
would showing it every five minutes.

The US just fined a soldier about $5000 for shooting a pistol near a man's head.
The officer is undoubtedly being forced to retire early. How do you reconcile
this action with the "inaction" for the shooting depicted in your little video.

Well guys, how do you turn this into a negative for the administration? This
should be cute.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

DSK December 14th 03 03:30 PM

JohnH wrote:

all the congratulatory messages from Harry, jps, basskisser, gould, et al.
our capture of Saddam.

I don't know if I'm included in "et al" but I say congrats and job well done. I
really hope the attacks in Iraq drop off now. If he was captured with $3/4 mill in
cash then he was probably financing a lot of trouble (or perhaps it was merely his
kitty for bribing people to help him hide). In any event, it's a big success.

Harry, I could imagine the glee in your eyes when you
came across the video of the Iraqi getting (supposedly) murdered by a Marine
after being wounded. Yes, I would call it murder, if it occurred. I have doubts
about the authenticity of the video. For one thing, why has it not been shown on
any of the networks? Surely, if it were substantiatable, NBC, ABC, CNN, etc.
would showing it every five minutes.

The US just fined a soldier about $5000 for shooting a pistol near a man's head.
The officer is undoubtedly being forced to retire early. How do you reconcile
this action with the "inaction" for the shooting depicted in your little video.

Same way I reconcile the My Lai massacre or the Phoenix program with the Memorial
Wall. There are some bad people in every big organization. There are some good
people who occasionally do bad things. Not everything that denigrates BushCo or the
Army _has_ to be a fake just because you wish it to be so.

What do you think about the blockbuster bomb they dropped to try and get Saddam at
the war's opening? They bragged plenty about it for two or three days, then shut up
quickly and haven't heard a word since. Does that mean it suddenly didn't happen,
it's become un-history? The US murdered a whole block in downtown Baghdad to get one
man. And didn't get that man until now. Let's see more denials about 'collateral
damage.'

Well guys, how do you turn this into a negative for the administration? This
should be cute.

That's already too long of a list.

DSK

JohnH December 14th 03 03:48 PM

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:30:32 -0500, DSK wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

You miss the point, I think. If the Uniform Code of Military Justice is applied
to a Colonel who fires a pistol to scare someone, then I would expect the UCMJ
to be applied to a Marine who shoots a wounded, unarmed (if that be the case)
Iraqi. That would not be collateral damage. It would, if it occurred as
depicted, be murder. Collateral damage is, by definition, unintended. The
shooting of the Iraqi, as depicted, was intended. I see no comparison.

DSK December 14th 03 04:12 PM

Off the Topic. I'm waiting to see...

JohnH wrote:

You miss the point, I think.

Not at all. Why so quick to jump to that conclusion? Did you read all of my post?

If the Uniform Code of Military Justice is applied
to a Colonel who fires a pistol to scare someone, then I would expect the UCMJ
to be applied to a Marine who shoots a wounded, unarmed (if that be the case)
Iraqi.

I would expect so too, but it doesn't always happen that way. All it would take is for
the people who were there at the scene to be unwilling to step forward and put up
charges.

That would not be collateral damage. It would, if it occurred as
depicted, be murder.

Agreed. And it has happened many many times.

Collateral damage is, by definition, unintended. The
shooting of the Iraqi, as depicted, was intended. I see no comparison.

My mention of collateral damage was referring to a different case entirely.

DSK

Gould 0738 December 14th 03 04:30 PM

John H wrote:

all the congratulatory messages from Harry, jps, basskisser, gould, et al.

our capture of Saddam.

You're not very patient. It's just after 8 AM on the W coast, on a Sunday
morning.

Go and fornicate yourself, John.

Don't you ever dare to post an implication that I don't wish the best for this
country and our 300 million fellow citizens. Your screwed up perspective is
that you, only you, and those who think exactly like you have the only valid
opinions about how our society should run and what direction national policies
should take.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear on Rush Limbaugh. The high percentage
of Americans who disagree with your views are not traitors or national enemies.

Yes, I'm damn glad he's caught.
With the billions of dollars spent on an ill-advised war and the toll the
entire adventure has taken on US credibility throughout the world, it's
gratifiying to see that we have *something* tangible to show for it.

But let me ask you this- does capturing a tyrant suddenly mean that all the
statements Bush made to get us into Iraq
in the firtst place are suddenly any more true than they were this time
yesterday?

Let's hope the insurgency tapers off in Iraq.
If it does not, people will begin questioning the war more than ever - once the
capture of SH is old news.

JohnH December 14th 03 04:46 PM

On 14 Dec 2003 16:30:58 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

John H wrote:

[...]

Jeees. Where did I make this implication to which you refer? How much do I
listen to Rush? I disagree with about 75% of Rush's statements. Catching Saddam
has nothing to do with the truth of the statements Bush made. I believe Bush
made his statements in good faith. You, et al, don't. Or at least you say you
don't to maintain the party line.

Your bud, Harry, has made several posts without comment on the capture of
Saddam. As yet, jps has had no comment. Wonder why? Could it be because they
can't come up wit a way to put a negative spin on it?

Harry Krause December 14th 03 05:02 PM

JohnH wrote:

Your bud, Harry, has made several posts without comment on the capture of
Saddam. As yet, jps has had no comment. Wonder why? Could it be because they
can't come up wit a way to put a negative spin on it?

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

I've commented on the capture of Saddam. It's good that he's been
captured and will be the subject of a showy trial, but I don't think it
is a big deal. He hasn't been the head of state in Iraq for what, seven
months? And it took all of Bush's horses and all of Bush's men to find him?

Our invasion of Iraq wasn't the equivalent of the liberation of Belgium
or even the siege and relief of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge.
In Iraq, we took on a fifth-rate power whose uniformed military forces
collapsed shortly after we arrived.

I know you Conservatives want to make the toppling of Saddam the
greatest thing since sliced bread, but, in reality, all it is is a minor
positive blip in a sadly mistaken U.S. misadventure, one aimed at
propping up a failed US president in the popularity polls.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Gould 0738 December 14th 03 05:55 PM

Off the Topic. I'm waiting to see...

Jeees. Where did I make this implication to which you refer?

With your comment that you're "still waiting".... (and the implication that you
are likely waiting in vain)....for any comment from several people, myself
specifically named in the group, expressing any satisfaction that Saddam
Hussein has been brought to ground.

Your bud, Harry, has made several posts without comment on the capture of
Saddam.

Nobody is responsible for Harry except Harry.

As yet, jps has had no comment. Wonder why

Could be because he's still asleep? Or, unlike some of us, doesn't respond to
momentous news by making a bee line for rec.boats?

http://www.tomorrowsbestseller.com/w...State/book.asp

JohnH December 14th 03 06:02 PM

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:02:51 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

JohnH wrote:

Your bud, Harry, has made several posts without comment on the capture of
Saddam. As yet, jps has had no comment. Wonder why? Could it be because they
can't come up wit a way to put a negative spin on it?

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

I've commented on the capture of Saddam. It's good that he's been
captured and will be the subject of a showy trial, but I don't think it
is a big deal. He hasn't been the head of state in Iraq for what, seven
months? And it took all of Bush's horses and all of Bush's men to find him?

I doubt if a trial will be held soon. I think he will undergo some interrogation
first. Of course, many libs will say he's being mistreated, but we'll have to
live with that. I'm sure there's a bunch already complaining about his 'lice
check' being televised.

Our invasion of Iraq wasn't the equivalent of the liberation of Belgium
or even the siege and relief of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge.
In Iraq, we took on a fifth-rate power whose uniformed military forces
collapsed shortly after we arrived.

Tell that to the next hundred thousand about to go into mass graves.

I know you Conservatives want to make the toppling of Saddam the
greatest thing since sliced bread, but, in reality, all it is is a minor
positive blip in a sadly mistaken U.S. misadventure, one aimed at
propping up a failed US president in the popularity polls.

Well I'll be double-damned! You used the phrase "positive blip". That's the
first positive thing I've heard from you about the military, the administration,
or the USA. Times are indeed a'changing.

Gould 0738 December 14th 03 06:19 PM

Off the Topic. I'm waiting to see...

Wally, on the list of right wing people who seldom post anything except hate
mail to the NG, you're running a distant second to some broad from "down under"
something.

But keep it up. Practice makes perfect.
You too can become a puking fountain of stinking negativity if you put whatever
it is you use instead of a mind to it.

The difference between your perspective and mine is very simple. I believe you
have every right in the world to hold your opinions, (wrong as they are), and I
do not consider your obviously defective opinion (insert grin here) any sort of
threat to my own.

When was the last time you heard anybody on the left call you right-wingers
"traitors" or anti- American?

. Your screwed up perspective is
that you, only you, and those who think exactly like you have the only valid
opinions about how our society should run and what direction national

policies
should take.

LOL

You leftists are the only "true word", we all know that by now.