John Cadella

Default Is the first frost when a inboard needs winterizing?

This is my first season with my 1987 Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin and it has
been running great with the 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0L 4cyl.
We trailer it and launch in both a local fresh water river and a salt water
marina in Connecticut. We are also taking it to Lake George, NY soon too.

I'd like to use the boat at least til the end of October - When should I
start winterizing the engine and outdrive? Is the first frost when it needs
to be done or do we need to get sustained low 30's evenings?
Thanks,
John

M-Tech

Why would you post a boat question in a political ng? :-)

Here's some help....looks like you just need to drain the water from
block/engine and you're fine until you get a few solid nights of sub 30
weather. Rarely will a LITTLE water freezing be a problem..but it IS a
risk. It's when blocks/pumps/fittings are full and freeze solid that
expansion is a problem.
http://www.boatshop.com/winteriz.htm

How about swapping the car for the boat in the garage on possible cold
nights just to safe guard?

Otherwise, I wish I could help more....but I'm "new" myself. Maybe some of
these Bush/Kerry supporters might bend their rules and answer your post.

Good luck!!
Don

"John Cadella" wrote in message
. net...
This is my first season with my 1987 Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin and it has
been running great with the 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0L 4cyl.
We trailer it and launch in both a local fresh water river and a salt
water marina in Connecticut. We are also taking it to Lake George, NY
soon too.

I'd like to use the boat at least til the end of October - When should I
start winterizing the engine and outdrive? Is the first frost when it
needs to be done or do we need to get sustained low 30's evenings?
Thanks,
John

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:12:25 GMT, "John Cadella"
wrote:

This is my first season with my 1987 Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin and it has
been running great with the 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0L 4cyl.
We trailer it and launch in both a local fresh water river and a salt water
marina in Connecticut. We are also taking it to Lake George, NY soon too.

I'd like to use the boat at least til the end of October - When should I
start winterizing the engine and outdrive? Is the first frost when it needs
to be done or do we need to get sustained low 30's evenings?

You don't really need to worry about frost as much as a hard freeze.
And even then, there are some variables.

A little more information would be nice - fresh water or raw water
cooled? And how big is the boat - can you put the boat under cover
like in a garage or carport to help extend your time a little?

I also live in CT and don't see a lot of inboards being winterized
until later in the month - usually at a shop that I hang around if I
don't have anything else to do, the inboards start coming in from the
middle to the end of October.

I'm not much of a inboard guy, so I'm relying on anecdotal evidence
rather than cold, hard knowledge. I'm sure somebody with a better
background will pop up with an answer.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
tony thomas

You will need temperatures below 32 degrees before winterizing. If it is
going to get down to 30 or so I would just put it in the garage overnight
and you won't have a problem. You can also hang a light bulb in the engine
compartment overnight to keep it from freezing.

When you finish with it for the year you will want to:
1. Change lower unit oil to ensure no water.
2. Change engine oil to ensure no water.
3. Remove water drains from block and exhaust manifold and allow engine to
drain (leave them out).
4. Remove hoses and allow to drain.
5. Put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

It takes a sustained temperature below freezing to freeze the water in the
block. Getting down to 30 for an hour or so will not do it. And as I said,
a light bulb in the engine compartment is extra insurance. Just make sure
it is not touching anything that will burn.

Also, look for the drain plugs. Should be very easy to remove and reinstall
if you are concerned about it.

--
Tony
My Boats and Cars
"John Cadella" wrote in message
. net...
This is my first season with my 1987 Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin and it has
been running great with the 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0L 4cyl.
We trailer it and launch in both a local fresh water river and a salt
water marina in Connecticut. We are also taking it to Lake George, NY
soon too.

I'd like to use the boat at least til the end of October - When should I
start winterizing the engine and outdrive? Is the first frost when it
needs to be done or do we need to get sustained low 30's evenings?
Thanks,
John

Bowgus

To me, winterizing and draining the water just in case the temp might dip
below freezing for a few days are two different things. And this happens for
me more in the early spring than in the fall. My boat's on a trailer in the
laneway. If the temp is gonna drop, I just drain the block/risers ... remove
the drain cocks and disconnect water lines here and there e.g. at the oil
cooler. And then reconnect to go out again.

Winterizing for my boat involves topping up the tank, adding stabil, running
then draining/changing the engine oil, running then shutting off the fuel
(carburated) so there's no fuel in carb (4bbl) over winter,
removing/checking/replacing the plugs and squirting fogging oil in the
cylinders and turning the engone over a few times, spraying DW40 here and
there, and most important draining the block/risers. And taking everything
in that might disappear over winter (the prop, battery, ...).

And on top of that, there's some preventive maintenance required that could
be done fall or spring ... e.g. every 2 seasons or so pull the outdrive (ok,
I have the outdrive pulled), lube the universal, crack the outdrive (alpha)
and replace the impeller, change the outdrive lube, grease the grease
points.

There's a few more little things ... but that's my 2 cents worth :-)

"John Cadella" wrote in message
. net...
This is my first season with my 1987 Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin and it has
been running great with the 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0L 4cyl.
We trailer it and launch in both a local fresh water river and a salt

water
marina in Connecticut. We are also taking it to Lake George, NY soon too.

I'd like to use the boat at least til the end of October - When should I
start winterizing the engine and outdrive? Is the first frost when it

needs
to be done or do we need to get sustained low 30's evenings?
Thanks,
John

Bowgus

And while the outdrive's apartl, I think I'll have the skeg repaired ...
fortunately I was just idling along (although I might have cleared it on
plane). You'd think that with all those people aware that that rock was
there, someone would put a marker on on it ... instead I got .... "Oh yeah,
you musta been in "the inlet" ... yeah, there's a big rock there".

"Bowgus" wrote in message
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:58:17 -0400, "Bowgus" wrote:

And while the outdrive's apartl, I think I'll have the skeg repaired ...
fortunately I was just idling along (although I might have cleared it on
plane). You'd think that with all those people aware that that rock was
there, someone would put a marker on on it ... instead I got .... "Oh yeah,
you musta been in "the inlet" ... yeah, there's a big rock there"

Down at Barn Island launch ramp there was "The Rock". The legendary
"Rock". Right off the launch ramp - broke many a prop, dented some
skegs, bent more than one prop shaft.

"The Rock" was marked every year by some kind soul who would put an
old lobster bouy on it, but "The Rock" was much smarter than those who
would help. Old timer's knew "The Rock" moved. Sometimes to the
right, sometimes to the left. Sometimes a little out from the ramp,
sometimes a little closer in. "The Rock" was smarter than almost
everybody. Even an old timer or two who knew "The Rock" and it's ways
were caught by "The Rock" if they weren't paying attention. "The
Rock" was wiley.

Sadly, "The Rock" came to an end. The ramp was rebuilt and "The
"Rock" now resides in a place of honor next to the information board.
A small plaque now adorns the "The Rock" stating simply and plainly
"The Rock".

A proud warrior in it's final resting place.

Later,

Tom

John Cadella

Hi,
the engine is sea water cooled, the boat is a 21 footer, and I wish I had a
garage or carport!
Would it make any sense to use a low wattage block heater?
How about the outdrive - does water sit in that lower unit?
john
..

wrote:

[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:03:32 GMT, "John Cadella"
wrote:

Hi,
the engine is sea water cooled, the boat is a 21 footer, and I wish I had a
garage or carport!
Would it make any sense to use a low wattage block heater?
How about the outdrive - does water sit in that lower unit?

Tony and others have some good advice, but in this case, if you set
the outdrive so it's in the down position, water will drain out of the
drive unit. To keep water out of it, just use a plastic bag and some
electrical tape around the prop.

A magnetic block heater would work fine also.

All the best,

Tom

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004