Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:12:25 GMT, "John Cadella"
wrote:

This is my first season with my 1987 Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin and it has
been running great with the 1998 Volvo Penta 3.0L 4cyl.
We trailer it and launch in both a local fresh water river and a salt water
marina in Connecticut. We are also taking it to Lake George, NY soon too.

I'd like to use the boat at least til the end of October - When should I
start winterizing the engine and outdrive? Is the first frost when it needs
to be done or do we need to get sustained low 30's evenings?

You don't really need to worry about frost as much as a hard freeze.
And even then, there are some variables.

A little more information would be nice - fresh water or raw water
cooled? And how big is the boat - can you put the boat under cover
like in a garage or carport to help extend your time a little?

I also live in CT and don't see a lot of inboards being winterized
until later in the month - usually at a shop that I hang around if I
don't have anything else to do, the inboards start coming in from the
middle to the end of October.

I'm not much of a inboard guy, so I'm relying on anecdotal evidence
rather than cold, hard knowledge. I'm sure somebody with a better
background will pop up with an answer.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717