Steve Lomax

Default Alpha 1 gen 2 speedo question

My speedo has stopped working. If a remove the tube at the leg and blow down
it, I can get the needle to over 10mph. Connect the tube to the leg I get
nothing. Anyone have ideas? Where is the water pickup on the leg?
TIA
Steve

Steve Lomax

You mean like a 'V' cut in the leading edge of the leg?... I'm going for a
poke.....and maybe a suck.....

"bomar" wrote in message
Little teeny hole in front of lower unit.
Most likely has sand, mud, whatever in it.
I carefully probe mine clean with a length of flexible wire.

"Steve Lomax" wrote in message
My speedo has stopped working. If a remove the tube at the leg and blow

down
it, I can get the needle to over 10mph. Connect the tube to the leg I

get
nothing. Anyone have ideas? Where is the water pickup on the leg?
TIA
Steve

Tony Thomas

Please don't take a drill to it. You will drill right thru to the inside
and destroy a gearcase. I take a drill bit in my hand and clean it out.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"bomar" wrote in message
Little teeny hole in front of lower unit.
Most likely has sand, mud, whatever in it.
I carefully probe mine clean with a length of flexible wire.

"Steve Lomax" wrote in message
My speedo has stopped working. If a remove the tube at the leg and

blow
down
it, I can get the needle to over 10mph. Connect the tube to the leg I

get
nothing. Anyone have ideas? Where is the water pickup on the leg?
TIA
Steve

Steve Lomax

OK done it. It had bits of polyprop rope in it.I managed to clean it out by
gradually easing out the 'pulp' with bits of copper wire. I then passed
about 9" of thin insulated multi-strand wire through the channel to the
hose connector. Will try it in lake Windemere tomorrow. Thanks for your
speedy replies. From 1st enquiry to finished job in about an hour with
advice from the other side of the atlantic!

Cheers

Steve

"bomar" wrote in message
Little teeny hole in front of lower unit.
Most likely has sand, mud, whatever in it.
I carefully probe mine clean with a length of flexible wire.

"Steve Lomax" wrote in message
My speedo has stopped working. If a remove the tube at the leg and

blow
down
it, I can get the needle to over 10mph. Connect the tube to the leg

get
nothing. Anyone have ideas? Where is the water pickup on the leg?
TIA
Steve

MIDEMETZ

Consider not conecting the hose where ever you disconected it to blow throu it,
untill you run it first and let it flush out any bits and pieces left.

Mike
Bill Andersen

The pitot opening is on the leading edge of the outdrive.
You should be able to make the speedometer indicate more than 10 MPH when
you blow through the hose; keep the hose off the pick up end, remove the
hose at the speedometer and try blowing the tube clear.
"Steve Lomax" wrote in message
Good Idea, Thanks

Steve

Sea Ray 260DA question RG General 0 July 16th 03 10:07 PM
Need help Properller size Mercruiser Alpha One minhxn General 6 July 16th 03 01:43 PM
1989 alpha one outdive needed. used gatt General 0 July 16th 03 07:00 AM
Question about Four Winns Liberator and insurance Deborah J Violette Pierce General 0 July 14th 03 05:15 PM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM