Short Wave Sportfishing

Default OT Confusion on how to vote

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:58:42 +0200, Max Mustermann
wrote:

I'm trying to get all this political stuff straightened out in my
head so I'll know how to vote come November. Right now, we have one
guy saying one thing. Then the other guy says something else. Who to
believe. Lemme see; have I got this straight?

No.

On one side you have, as Harry describes, a doofus who looks like
Alfred E. Newman and on the other, a doofus who looks like Lurch after
a Botox party. One may be technically a deserter and the other may be
technically a war criminal. One is a priviledged son of a prominent
political family and the other is a priviledged son of a prominent
political family. Both went to Yale and both are Bonesers. One makes
up his mind and doesn't change, the other changes his every other
hour.

This is the best my generation can produce?

I'm ashamed to vote for either one.

And the sad thing is I still can't make up my mind.

Later,

Tom
Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Consider this:

A lot of awful things have happened to this country as a result of Bush
presuming office.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Heh - perhaps - I have a more universal outlook with respect to who
caused what and when. Every one of the bozos on both sides of the
Senatorial cloak room had the opportunity to rally and say no - and
they failed. Some of the more clued in of the Senatorial Cloak Room,
including Senator Clinton, had the oppotunity to say - "Hey, wait a
minute - something doesn't jive here". And while they all SAID that,
the majority still voted for the war - they are, both sides,
responsible as well as the current President.

Even though he stood for everything I didn't, I miss Senator
Wellstone. There was a man who stood up and was counted, billy be
damned what anybody else thought and at the same time, could cut a
deal and get something done. I like people like that. Not the idiot
nuanced thought police constraints most current politicians practice.
I could do business with Senator Wellstone and that's important to me
- if I think I can do business with somebody and not have to watch my
back at the same time. I feel the same way about Senators McCain and
Kennedy. There are a few others.

I don't feel that way about the President or the Junior Senator from
Massachuetts.

However, the first candidate who gives me five sentences each
consisting of 25 words simply explaining what they are going to do for
the country will get my vote.

Like that will ever happen. Guess it's a closed eye and throw a dart
against the wall election for me.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

If I honestly thought, just a little bit, that Senator Kerry would be
a better choice than President Bush, I would vote for him in a heart
beat.

You know what? Senator Kerry isn't going to change anything.

Nothing.

Zero.

Nada.

Zip.

Why? He's already said he will continue to prosecute the "peace" with
weapons of war. Sound familiar?

The economy? Let's see, the last time we had a Democrat President, he
was so up to his eyebrows in contributions that he had to lay off his
contributers with hands off policies which gave us, TA-DA , Enron and
other interesting tidbits like EBIDA which the SEC never challenged.

Both sides will tax the crap out of the middle class as they always
do, so what is the practical difference?

The simple truth is that our generation, assuming you are about the
same age as me, has failed our country and our society. We cannot
produce a strong leader who either isn't a used car salesman or a
clown who is so "nuanced" that nobody can understand what the hell
he's talking about.

And I'm sorry for the rant and apologise in advance to any and all.

I will now go back to posting about boats.

~~ mutter ~~

Later,

Tom
thunder

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:59:07 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Even though he stood for everything I didn't, I miss Senator Wellstone.
There was a man who stood up and was counted, billy be damned what anybody
else thought and at the same time, could cut a deal and get something
done. I like people like that. Not the idiot nuanced thought police
constraints most current politicians practice. I could do business with
Senator Wellstone and that's important to me - if I think I can do
business with somebody and not have to watch my back at the same time. I
feel the same way about Senators McCain and Kennedy. There are a few
others.

It's sad, isn't it? Before I even consider issues, I try to determine if
a candidate is competent and honorable. It is rare to find a candidate
that has one of those qualities, extremely rare if they have both. To get
to issues, I find, is wishful thinking. 250 million people, and these are
our best?

Personally, I had always liked the other Sen. Kerry (Robert).
Gary Warner

On one side you have, as Harry describes, a doofus who looks like
Alfred E. Newman and on the other, a doofus who looks like Lurch after
a Botox party. One may be technically a deserter and the other may be
technically a war criminal. One is a priviledged son of a prominent
political family and the other is a priviledged son of a prominent
political family. Both went to Yale and both are Bonesers. One makes
up his mind and doesn't change, the other changes his every other
hour.

This is the best my generation can produce?

No, I don't think it is the best your generation or this county can produce.
I think
the best tend to realize the working for the fickle public for pay that is,
at best, 10%
of what a person of the caliber mind can make elsewhere is just not worth
it. It's not
probably the money so much as the rewards. Even if you get to be president
it must
be awefully frustrating to have to fight tooth-and-nail to get your ideas
out. And then
have the public tear not only your ideas but you, your wife, kids, extended
family, and
friends to pieces of the smallest of offences. Not to mention that once you
are
president or even a senator you are almost certainly in the mind of some nut
who
would like to shoot you. ~ No. It's very sad that the situation is what it
is, but I
think the best minds tend to want to do anything but be president. Some
musicians
are brilliant and genius - not only at their art but how they see and
present the world.
The same goes for some writers, artists, actors, owners of small businesses,
captains
of industry, etc. etc. For many super brilliant people raising kids and
creating
a family is the most rewarding and challenging thing and the only challenge
they need or
want. ~ This isn't to detract form the people the do run. Some of them are,
I think, in
it for sketchy reasons. But many could probably have saner, easier lives out
of politics
yet stay in for love of country and the hope that some little good can come
of their being
there. *** By the way: I pretty much disagree with President Bush on most
of
the things he's done. And I do believe there are some pretty sketchy types
around him
But I do believe that *he believes* in what he is doing. And even if I
disagree with
him I think there is value added to the process by his presence. I still
hope he looses
in November - I think it will be better for the country.

I'm ashamed to vote for either one.

And the sad thing is I still can't make up my mind.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:18:25 -0400, "Gary Warner"

Good points.

Later,

Tom