Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:18:25 -0400, "Gary Warner"

On one side you have, as Harry describes, a doofus who looks like
Alfred E. Newman and on the other, a doofus who looks like Lurch after
a Botox party. One may be technically a deserter and the other may be
technically a war criminal. One is a priviledged son of a prominent
political family and the other is a priviledged son of a prominent
political family. Both went to Yale and both are Bonesers. One makes
up his mind and doesn't change, the other changes his every other
hour.

This is the best my generation can produce?

No, I don't think it is the best your generation or this county can produce.
I think
the best tend to realize the working for the fickle public for pay that is,
at best, 10%
of what a person of the caliber mind can make elsewhere is just not worth
it. It's not
probably the money so much as the rewards. Even if you get to be president
it must
be awefully frustrating to have to fight tooth-and-nail to get your ideas
out. And then
have the public tear not only your ideas but you, your wife, kids, extended
family, and
friends to pieces of the smallest of offences. Not to mention that once you
are
president or even a senator you are almost certainly in the mind of some nut
who
would like to shoot you. ~ No. It's very sad that the situation is what it
is, but I
think the best minds tend to want to do anything but be president. Some
musicians
are brilliant and genius - not only at their art but how they see and
present the world.
The same goes for some writers, artists, actors, owners of small businesses,
captains
of industry, etc. etc. For many super brilliant people raising kids and
creating
a family is the most rewarding and challenging thing and the only challenge
they need or
want. ~ This isn't to detract form the people the do run. Some of them are,
I think, in
it for sketchy reasons. But many could probably have saner, easier lives out
of politics
yet stay in for love of country and the hope that some little good can come
of their being
there. *** By the way: I pretty much disagree with President Bush on most
of
the things he's done. And I do believe there are some pretty sketchy types
around him
But I do believe that *he believes* in what he is doing. And even if I
disagree with
him I think there is value added to the process by his presence. I still
hope he looses
in November - I think it will be better for the country.

Good points.

Later,

Tom