Messing In Boats

Default 28-32' cruiser with flybridge?

Two other names to consider:

Marinette sold 28 and 32' flybridge cruisers, aluminum hulls, pretty
well made, almost always twin gas Crusaders or Chrysler. They quit
making them in 10990, but there are a fair amount of them around,
especially in the Great lakes.

Cooper, the Canadian company that is now Queenship, made some nice ones
in the 1980's (I have the 8M Prowler). Very well made, nicely appointed,
not many around. They also made a 9M.

Capt. Jeff

Peggie Hall

Messing In Boats wrote:
Two other names to consider:

Marinette sold 28 and 32' flybridge cruisers, aluminum hulls, pretty
well made, almost always twin gas Crusaders or Chrysler. They quit
making them in 10990, but there are a fair amount of them around,
especially in the Great lakes.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Trojan F32 yet..the most
popular 32' flybridge sedan ever built. Trojan built it from 1973-1991
and never changed a thing except the decor color scheme, so there are a
bunch of 'em out there, and many of the older ones have been completely
restored and updated...to the extent that there's little left of the
original boat except the "shell." Mine was a project boat I bought from
an estate and restored. By the time I was finished, I had 1-3 yr old
boat (it took me 3 years to do all the work) in a 20 yr old hull, with
all the bells and whistles anyone could ask for on a boat.

The F32 has a 13' beam, which makes it very comfortable, with loads of
storage, and economical to cruise. However, it's not a blue water
boat...the design of the hull doesn't like heavy seas at all. But an
ideal cruiser for inland waters and protected waters like the Chesapeake
Bay.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Capt. Frank Hopkins

A note on the Bayliner 28 & 32 with command bridge. Certain year models,
I am not sure which would "nose dive" during high speed turns and bury
the bow. This brought the boat to an abrupt stop and tossed anyone on
the bridge into the water. The bow would surface, and the props dig in.
Away would go your Bayliner without a coxswain.

Bayliner's "fix" for this problem was to put 500 pounds of ballast in
the stern. Make sure your boat is retrofitted before purchase.

Regards,

Capt. Frank

Wannacat wrote:
Hello,

We're shopping for a 28-32' cruiser and are really attracted to a
flybridge style. To our dismay, neither Sea Ray nor Chaparral make
cruiser of this type/size. We've seen only one boat with the right
design so far - Bayliner 288 (formerly 2858), but average quality of
its construction makes us wish to have more than one boat to choose
from.

Can anyone suggest other flybridge cruisers of this size? Any tips
will be greatly appreciated!

WC

Harry Krause

Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:

A note on the Bayliner 28 & 32 with command bridge. Certain year models,
I am not sure which would "nose dive" during high speed turns and bury
the bow. This brought the boat to an abrupt stop and tossed anyone on
the bridge into the water. The bow would surface, and the props dig in.
Away would go your Bayliner without a coxswain.

Bayliner's "fix" for this problem was to put 500 pounds of ballast in
the stern. Make sure your boat is retrofitted before purchase.

Regards,

Capt. Frank

A design feature to be envied...

--
Email sent to is never read.
Wayne.B

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:49:52 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

Bayliner's "fix" for this problem was to put 500 pounds of ballast in
the stern. Make sure your boat is retrofitted before purchase.

Yes, true story but that was only half the fix as I recall. The other
half was to put a warning plaque on the flybridge about carrying
excessive numbers of people on the bridge. With too much weight up
high (maybe 4 people) the boat would capsize to the outside of a
tight turn.

Another nifty design feature from today's volume and pricing leader.

Harry Krause

wrote:

Bayliner's "fix" for this problem was to put 500 pounds of ballast in
the stern. Make sure your boat is retrofitted before purchase.

Yes, true story but that was only half the fix as I recall. The other
half was to put a warning plaque on the flybridge about carrying
excessive numbers of people on the bridge. With too much weight up
high (maybe 4 people) the boat would capsize to the outside of a
tight turn.

Another nifty design feature from today's volume and pricing leader.

Hehehe. I love it. Bayliner; the Wal-Mart of boats.

--
Email sent to is never read.
NOYB

wrote:

Bayliner's "fix" for this problem was to put 500 pounds of ballast in
the stern. Make sure your boat is retrofitted before purchase.

Yes, true story but that was only half the fix as I recall. The other
half was to put a warning plaque on the flybridge about carrying
excessive numbers of people on the bridge. With too much weight up
high (maybe 4 people) the boat would capsize to the outside of a
tight turn.

Another nifty design feature from today's volume and pricing leader.

Hehehe. I love it. Bayliner; the Wal-Mart of boats.

Actually, I believe Wal-Mart was selling Gen-Mar products in some test
markets.

Nevertheless, you're comparing a manufacturer to a retailer. Wal-Mart
provides the same things you buy in other stores, but for less money. Hey,
if you don't mind purchasing Yo-Zuri's, Penn SS's, and Sabiki's for 50% more
elsewhere, then have at it. I spend plenty at my local bait shop. However,
if I'm buying in bulk (Sabiki's, etc), I shop WalMart.

BTW--Sam's Choice bottled water is not only the cheapest and best-testing,
it freezes very well without exploding the bottle...which is very convenient
for icing the cooler.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

That is true. The store with its own zip code, Wal-vania's Tampa store
on Dale Mabry Drive is selling smaller Sea Ray and Boston Whaler units.
I have taken note they ARE NOT selling Bay liners. Costco is selling
several brands of boats too.

How many Bayliners does it take to line a bay?

Is a Bayliner anything like a swimming pool liner?

Will both work underwater?

It is a good thing Bayliner doesn't make an inflatable. You would need
to buy stock in fix-a-flat.

feel free to add to the list! grin

CF

wrote:

[...]

Gould 0738

That is true. The store with its own zip code, Wal-vania's Tampa store
on Dale Mabry Drive is selling smaller Sea Ray and Boston Whaler units.
I have taken note they ARE NOT selling Bay liners. Costco is selling
several brands of boats too.

How many Bayliners does it take to line a bay?

Is a Bayliner anything like a swimming pool liner?

Will both work underwater?

It is a good thing Bayliner doesn't make an inflatable. You would need
to buy stock in fix-a-flat.

feel free to add to the list! grin

CF

Bayliner: the issue that always evokes
the ridiculous comments from people who are supposed to know better.

Clams Canino

We can't help ourselves. EG

Bayliner: The only boat that comes standard with a free ski rope. And
printed instructions for attaching it to the bow cleat.

-W