Richard Malcolm

Default going nowhere slow

a month ago I lost foward gera. had some "cone" in the lower end
worked on by my mechanic and all was fine
now I have foward only at a really slow spped. when I give it more gas
it just revs. sometimes it catches foward at this high idle with a
thump. reverse seems to work fine
I think that it is either
1 related to what the mechanic did earlier
2 a cable adjustment issue
3 trannie fluid issue
4 some weird prop issue

any ideas why I would lose foward except at really slow speeds, while
reverse seems fine?
Gary Warner

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
a month ago I lost foward gera. had some "cone" in the lower end
worked on by my mechanic and all was fine
now I have foward only at a really slow spped. when I give it more gas
it just revs. sometimes it catches foward at this high idle with a
thump. reverse seems to work fine
I think that it is either
1 related to what the mechanic did earlier
2 a cable adjustment issue
3 trannie fluid issue
4 some weird prop issue

any ideas why I would lose foward except at really slow speeds, while
reverse seems fine?

Hey Rich.

Sorry to hear you're having problems - hope you have 'em fixed by the
20th....that's when I'm hoping to bring Delilah out

You should probably post the brand of boat as well as engine & outdrive
makes & models. That will help with responses.

I know next to nothing about how inboard/outboard transmissions work.
But some transmissions (like mine) work by having plates or cones that
spin next to each other. When out of gear the spinning one(s) spin past the
stopped ones - which are connected to the prop shaft - so no movement.
When in gear pressure is applied that pushes the plates together. Then the
one(s) spun by the engine are pushed tight against the one(s) connected
to the prop shaft - and then the prop turnes.

Then if the adjustment is not correct these plates (cones?) may not be
presses hard enough together. They continue to slip past each other
and there is no prop movement. At slow speeds they might hold but
at higher engine RPMs there is more power there and they slip past
each other. ~ Also, the plates involved and adjustments are different
for forward and reverse so that can be why you have one direction but
not the other.

But, as I said, I really don't know how I/Os work....

gary

Richard Malcolm

"as gary suggested, I am adding the make of the boat which is a Four
Winns 245 Vista I/O with a OMC Ford engine (I think) with a King Cobra
transmition

thanks gary
hope to see you soon up here
IBNFSHN

Have your prop checked. It sounds like it is slipping on the hub. This is
common especially after hitting something or getting something wrapped
around the prop.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
a month ago I lost foward gera. had some "cone" in the lower end
worked on by my mechanic and all was fine
now I have foward only at a really slow spped. when I give it more gas
it just revs. sometimes it catches foward at this high idle with a
thump. reverse seems to work fine
I think that it is either
1 related to what the mechanic did earlier
2 a cable adjustment issue
3 trannie fluid issue
4 some weird prop issue

any ideas why I would lose foward except at really slow speeds, while
reverse seems fine?

Richard Malcolm

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message news:U6aSc.26603$Jo1.23049@lakeread01...
Have your prop checked. It sounds like it is slipping on the hub. This is
common especially after hitting something or getting something wrapped
around the prop.

--

thanks
I did take the prop off tonight and looked at it. It seemed OK to me,
nothing look all that different than I thought it would. What should I
be looking for?

IBNFSHN

You won't be able to see anything, either take it to a prop shop and have
them check it or try Calif Bill's suggestion.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
m...
"IBNFSHN" wrote in message

Have your prop checked. It sounds like it is slipping on the hub. This

is
common especially after hitting something or getting something wrapped
around the prop.

--

thanks
I did take the prop off tonight and looked at it. It seemed OK to me,
nothing look all that different than I thought it would. What should I
be looking for?

Bob D.

I concur with the others, it's probably a spun prop hub, but will go one
better. If you don't have a spare prop, buy one (you should have a spare
anyway), and put it on. Problem go away? Then it was a spun prop.