Cindy Spottock

Default Bayliner Reputation?

I am currently looking to buy a larger boat, in particular a 1989 Bayliner
2655. I have been told that Bayliner boats are NOT the greatest. Can anyone
tell me what to look out for?

Gould 0738

Bayliner boats are *not* the greatest.
They build a boat sort of like GM builds a Chevy.....

For many people in many applications the boats are extremely adequate, and
Bayliner enjoys one of the best owner loyalty numbers of any trademark
(detractors will tell you that's because all other dealers throw you off the
premises if you even suggest you'd like to trade in a Bayliner......but that's
patently false).

On a 15 year old Bayliner, you'll notice some sloppy fit and finish issues.
Many of these will be fairly obvious but not really consequential. (Two
adjoining panels of interior upholstery that don't meet up very well may look
bad, but won't compromise the safety of the boat). Other issues will require an
experienced surveyor to detect.

Some Bayliners (and some other boats as well) from that era will have issues
with stringers. Have your surveyor check for deck or hull delamination, (as he
would with any brand of boat).

Don't let anybody even begin to suggest that you can judge the relative
condition, quality, or value of an older boat based upon brand name alone. That
exercise can be pretty arbitrary when a boat is new, but toss in the vagaries
or owner maintenance over 10-15 years and all bets are off.

Selecting the right boat depends a lot on the local conditions and intended
usage.
Spend an afternoon at the marina or boat ramp and ask owners of medium sized
Bayliners how they use their boats and whether they are pleased with the way
the boats handle the local conditions.

*********

CaptMP

Cindy wrote "I am currently looking to buy a larger boat, in particular a 1989
Bayliner
2655. I have been told that Bayliner boats are NOT the greatest. Can anyone
tell me what to look out for?"

Cindy, Almost all boats have shortcomings, at least in the price range most
folks are looking at. I'm 90% happy with my '99 2052 Trophy (Bayliner). Good
boat for the bucks but I bought it new and take good care of it. As others
have mensioned with a used boat (car, truck,airplane,house) the previous owners
care is the deciding factor. Having a surveyor look at it really isn't that
expensive and would provide piece of mind.
Happy times!
Mike

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
I am currently looking to buy a larger boat, in particular a 1989 Bayliner
2655. I have been told that Bayliner boats are NOT the greatest.

Bayliners do not have a great reputation. That does not mean that all
Bayliners are bad. Some are.

What it DOES mean is that you should by all means have the boat
inspected by a surveyor. This is VERY important for a 15 year old boat.

There should be an agreement by you and the seller. IF you don't buy
the boat, you pay for the survey. If you DO buy the boat, the seller
pays for the survey.

What it also means is that Bayliners generally sell for less used. I'd
be afraid to buy one becasue of the perception of poor quality by many
future buyers.

OTOH, if you plan on keeping the boat until the wheels fall off, you
might get a bargain.

Bayliner 185 [email protected] General 14 June 19th 04 10:20 PM
First boat choices - Glastron or Bayliner or ? ccg General 1 June 7th 04 04:17 AM
BAYLINER BASHERS.. Maxx1676 General 75 June 5th 04 12:37 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM