Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
noah

Default Another try: rec.boats ON-topic

There has been some additional discussion lately about the amount of
off-topic posting in this group.

When I first approached this issue, I received about 12 emails from
"lurkers", 4 from names I recognized, and 1 from a person I considered
a "Regular". All these emails supported some control in rec.boats.

The problem for me was that any change to the Usenet hierarchy,
outside of "alt", requires a lengthy proposal, debate, and voting
process. A lot of work.

rec.boats is one of the oldest "living" groups in Usenet. The
unofficial FAQ is probably one of the best collections of sailing
information to be found online.

The problem enters in because the founders of this group had no idea
that Usenet (newsgroups) could, and would, become battlegrounds. From
reading years of the original posts, I can tell you that there was
little controversy (check it yourself, with Google) about the focus of
the group. I can also say, with confidence, that there was no
intention to incorporate political or offensive posts into this group.

I view the founders of this group with respect, but they made a
mistake. There is no "newgroup" message, and no "official" FAQ. That
far back, I'm sure that they didn't see this as "necessary".

Today, an FAQ is "necessary', and IMO, some basic ground rules will
help this group survive as a "boating" group. What those rules are,
and what the FAQ says, are entirely up to you, and "us".. More
importantly, they will not exist without you, and "us".

I invite every person who visits this group to express their opinion.
If you disagree with me, tell me.
If you are trolling, go away for a while. I'll be happy to butt heads
later.
If you agree, or disagree, then please say so.
An FAQ will not exist without user support.
rec.boats.lounge (or "community", yuck) will not exist without
support. And you can't dump the OT without an FAQ.

Had fish for dinner, deep fried, with corn meal and spices, )
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from wrecked.ot-boats.noah.
....as you were. )

The truth about the Off Topic Posts Gene Kearns General 46 November 17th 03 03:35 PM
Obit: rec.boats Joe Parsons General 36 November 9th 03 07:30 PM
the boats of rec.boats - site update Lee Yeaton General 1 October 14th 03 03:03 AM
On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ noah General 11 September 29th 03 02:38 AM
Virus Alert- email from rec.boats Harry Krause General 22 September 22nd 03 12:44 AM