Default Flying on a Boeing jet?

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 15:30:46 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 10:22:46 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 2/22/21 9:58 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 09:13:56 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Good luck and don't forget your parachute. Sheesh.

Since Boeing doesn't make engines and the Pratt and Whitney PW4000 is
used on Airbus, and McDonald Douglas planes too, maybe you better take
the train.

Right...the loonytarian response...Boeing doesn't make the engines, so
it isn't responsible.

What failed? Boeing didn't make that engine, they come in assembled
and installed as a FRU
Perhaps you should be blaming United airlines for sloppy inspections.

===

The engine was made by Pratt and Whitney, as are about 9% of the other
Boeing 777s. The other engines are made by Rolls Royce and GE, and
are not known to have any issues. Supposedly the FAA sactioned Pratt
and Whitney a few years back for not providing their engine inspectors
with sufficient training.

The good news is that the plane landed OK and no one on the ground was
injured. There were some pretty big chunks that fell on those houses.

Many years ago (back in the early 80's) I was involved with the design
of a vacuum deposition system that deposited thin film strain gauges and
thermocouples on P&W jet engine turbine blades. It was for real time
testing of turbine blade designs.

I visited the P&W facility in Florida after the system was delivered
and installed and was given a plant tour. One room had a number of
people seated at tables who were physically handling turbine blades
from bins at each table.

My host explained that they were all visually handicapped or blind and
were using their sensitized sense of feel to inspect the blades, feeling
them for inclusions or other irregularities in the blade surfaces.

I suspect these defects developed many thousands of hours after the
engine left Florida. It was a United inspector (or their contractor)
who missed it. I am sure the NTSB will be looking at inspection logs
and procedures. The real question is why wasn't that casualty
contained. They were just lucky that it didn't come through a window
and depressurize the plane.

===

Or sever one or more hydraulic lines.

Apparently there's still a mystery about why the engine continued to
burn after its fuel was shut off. Depressurizing the plane shortly
after takeoff would probably not be that big a deal - not like it
would be at 35,000 ft.

We were once on a flight from RSW to LGA that lost cabin pressure
while still climbing around 20,000 ft or so. Our ears popped and the
pilot made a really steep descent to lower altitude. The oxygen masks
never dropped and we made an emergency landing at FLL a short time
later. There were a large number of emergency vehicles on a parallel
runway following our rollout after touchdown. They found a new plane
for us fairly quickly and we were back on our way.

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I was on a plane from LGA to DCA that had a pressurization problem
(made a helluva sound) and the captain said they were just going to go
for it low and slow.
We flew to DC at about 7,000-8,000 feet but we made a straight in
landing, not stacked up
We got in a little late but any flight to or from LGA is going to be
late. It was sooner than I expected.

Wayne B Wrote in message:r
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 10:22:46 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote: On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500, wrote: On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote: On 2/22/21 9:58 AM, wrote: On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 09:13:56 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote: Good luck and don't forget your parachute. Sheesh. Since Boeing doesn't make engines and the Pratt and Whitney PW4000 is used on Airbus, and McDonald Douglas planes too, maybe you better take the train. Right...the loonytarian response...Boeing doesn't make the engines, so it isn't responsible. What failed? Boeing didn't make that engine, they come in assembled and installed as a FRU Perhaps you should be blaming United airlines for sloppy inspections. === The engine was made by Pratt and Whitney, as are about 9% of the other Boeing 777s. The other engines are made by Rolls Royce and GE, and are not known to have any issues. Supposedly the FAA sactioned Pratt and Whitney a few years back for not providing their engine inspectors with sufficient training. The good news is that the plane landed OK and no one on the ground was injured. There were some pretty big chunks that fell on those houses. Many years ago (back in the early 80's) I was involved with the design of a vacuum deposition system that deposited thin film strain gauges andthermocouples on P&W jet engine turbine blades. It was for real timetesting of turbine blade designs.I visited the P&W facility in Florida after the system was deliveredand installed and was given a plant tour. One room had a number ofpeople seated at tables who were physically handling turbine bladesfrom bins at each table.My host explained that they were all visually handicapped or blind and were using their sensitized sense of feel to inspect the blades, feeling them for inclusions or other irregularities in the blade surfaces.===Interesting, and a bit counter intuitive. How do you get anelectrical connection to a strain gauge that is rotating at highspeed?

I told you he's smart.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
On 2/24/21 3:52 PM, wrote: On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 11:57:38 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote: On 2/24/21 10:22 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote: On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote: On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500, wrote: On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote: On 2/22/21 9:58 AM, wrote: On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 09:13:56 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote: Good luck and don't forget your parachute. Sheesh. Since Boeing doesn't make engines and the Pratt and Whitney PW4000 is used on Airbus, and McDonald Douglas planes too, maybe you better take the train. Right...the loonytarian response...Boeing doesn't make the engines, so it isn't responsible. What failed? Boeing didn't make that engine, they come in assembled and installed as a FRU Perhaps you should be blaming United airlines for sloppy inspections. === The engine was made by Pratt and Whitney, as are about 9% of the other Boeing 777s. The other engines are made by Rolls Royce and GE, and are not known to have any issues. Supposedly the FAA sactioned Pratt and Whitney a few years back for not providing their engine inspectors with sufficient training. The good news is that the plane landed OK and no one on the ground was injured. There were some pretty big chunks that fell on those houses. Many years ago (back in the early 80's) I was involved with the design of a vacuum deposition system that deposited thin film strain gauges and thermocouples on P&W jet engine turbine blades. It was for real time testing of turbine blade designs. I visited the P&W facility in Florida after the system was delivered and installed and was given a plant tour. One room had a number of people seated at tables who were physically handling turbine blades from bins at each table. My host explained that they were all visually handicapped or blind and were using their sensitized sense of feel to inspect the blades, feeling them for inclusions or other irregularities in the blade surfaces. Wow! How cool was that? Most of the linotype operators at the KC Star when I worked there were deaf and grads of the School for the Deaf. The clackity-clack of the machines didn't bother them. Good union jobs, too, with top drawer bennies. Linotype? You are showing your age now ;-) Our school paper (early 60s) was done in a Linotype shop out New York Avenue near the DC line. It was quite an operation. We switched printers a few months before I graduated, bringing in the juniors and got a glossy offset tabloid+ size for less money from a printer out around Clarksburg where one of those guys lived. It was a nicer product but it didn't have that newspaper feel. The pictures were actually almost photo quality and being offset, didn't cost anything extra. The pictures in the old paper were molded plates on 3/4" wood. I still have the plate for a cartoon I drew almost 60 years ago. I used to do the layout and it was different when you can use all the pictures you want. I think it made them lazy tho because they didn't need to write as much to fill 8 (or 12 pages, what the last issue in 64 was). I had copies of all the papers I worked on but they didn't make it in a move. When I worked at The Star, we put out 13 editions a day, seven for the morning KC Times, six for the afternoon-evening KC Star. They were the same paper but with different nameplates, plus a Sunday roto section with feature material. I worked on the morning paper, and was "A Member of The Star's Staff." That was always a kick. -- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Yawn. Not cool. :-)

wrote:

On 2/24/21 10:22 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

Good luck and don't forget your parachute. Sheesh.

Since Boeing doesn't make engines and the Pratt and Whitney PW4000 is
used on Airbus, and McDonald Douglas planes too, maybe you better take
the train.

Right...the loonytarian response...Boeing doesn't make the engines, so
it isn't responsible.

What failed? Boeing didn't make that engine, they come in assembled
and installed as a FRU
Perhaps you should be blaming United airlines for sloppy inspections.

===

The engine was made by Pratt and Whitney, as are about 9% of the other
Boeing 777s.Â* The other engines are made by Rolls Royce and GE, and
are not known to have any issues.Â* Supposedly the FAA sactioned Pratt
and Whitney a few years back for not providing their engine inspectors
with sufficient training.

The good news is that the plane landed OK and no one on the ground was
injured.Â* There were some pretty big chunks that fell on those houses.

Many years ago (back in the early 80's)Â* I was involved with the design
of a vacuum deposition system that deposited thin film strain gauges and
thermocouples on P&W jet engine turbine blades.Â* It was for real time
testing of turbine blade designs.

I visited the P&W facility in Florida after the system was delivered
and installed and was given a plant tour.Â* One room had a number of
[...]

Linotype was actually better in some ways. We had the computer system in
Commerce Clearing House. The people who print all those tax code and law
books you see lawyers offices. They said when lots did not change, was
overall quicker and easier to reset a paragraph in Linotype than photo
typesetting complete pages In lots of the books.

justan wrote:
[...]

Typical newspaper person today. Show the bias.

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 00:18:38 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

On 2/24/21 10:22 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When the computer is generating the offset plate, I am not sure how
linotype could possibly be cheaper. It sounds more like they were just
stuck in the 19th century. The whole linotype process is much more
expensive to start with. That was what they said in 1964 and that
labor certainly didn't get cheaper. The plates this guy as making were
developed photos from a physical page layout. Now the whole thing is
on the computer. The pressman gets the plate and the rest is the same.

wrote:

On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The "leads" from the sensors were also thin film deposited connections
to the shaft through the "root" of the turbine blade. The root is
the mechanical connection to the shaft. I assume (don't know for sure)
that some sort of slip rings were used to send TC and strain gauge
data to the instrumentation.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Curious minds always want to know. :-)

So how are things in the great state of Massachussets?

wrote:

On 2/22/2021 7:54 PM, Wayne B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:08:43 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:08:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Same, same. Like most Mrs.E. and I have been hibernating, partly due
to cold, snowy weather but mostly due to the covid thing. If we
remain healthy and this virus crap is behind us, we have decided
to start looking southward again .... maybe just for a winter place
and spend the summers back up here. Seems like we've been through
this before though ....

https://www.avg.com