Default Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router?

On 12/25/20 1:53 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:12:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/24/20 8:04 PM,
wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but my iPhone can
act as an LTE internet connection for other devices.

That is a hot spot, this is a regular LAN attached router with a SIM
card, just like your cable modem except LTE connected.

Ah, ok. We have really crappy cell signals in this area unless you are
on Route 4. I bought a "booster" to enable us to use our cell phones
reliably in the house. It's LTE, 4G? Anyway, the local Verizon store is
pushing 5G and when I visited the store, the signal strength there was
really no better than it is here, and the store is using a booster, too.
The other providers also have crappy signal strength around here. Cable
TV and internet service has strong signals -wired, of course- but it is
outrageously expensive.

--
Bozo Binned: Herring, Bert Robbins, JackGoff 452471atgmail.com,
Just-AN-Asshole, Tim, and Gunboy Alex, aka the Gang of Dull, Witless,

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 14:07:05 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/25/20 1:53 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:12:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/24/20 8:04 PM,
wrote:
[...]

You can't just cheat 'em out of a few years?
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Friday, December 25, 2020 at 1:59:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 21:00:42 -0500, Alex wrote:

wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

Check the fine print. My friend had to use one until Comcast ran cable
to his house and at first he was limited and had to pay for more data.
When he complained they waived that but throttled his connection after a
few GB of data to a slower speed. It was a few years ago and I think he
was using Verizon.

I doubt I will ever use that much data. The bogie for me is 300GB. (I
think) before it goes to 3G and when it is 5G, that will downshift to
4G. Total is still unlimited.
I think it is going back anyway. I am not happy with the spotty speed.
It seems to swing between 25+mb and less than 8mb. Sometimes it won't
connect at all. It may be a signal strength thing and there is a port
for an external antenna but I will discuss that with the disconnect
agent and whoever they sent me to.

Do a little reading on 5G. It's not all the same. If you are in a urban area with line of sight and little in the way of trees/building it can be really fast. Get out of the city (or even out of close proximity to a 5G transmitter) and the speed and method of delivery changes. It may be a long time before your area gets fast, meaningful 5G service. Reliable LTE/4G service is pretty snappy, but if you aren't getting it reliably I wouldn't be expecting 5G anytime soon.

wrote:

On 12/25/20 1:53 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:12:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/24/20 8:04 PM,
wrote:
[...]

They don't even have SW Florida on the 5G schedule yet. This is not
anything like 3G and 4G tho. It is micro cells that pretty much
require that you are a few hundred yards from the transmitter. They
are not towers, they are boxes on utility poles. There are some
municipalities fighting the design of those boxes and the placing of
additional poles. They really want to get rid of the utility poles
they have and put everything underground. One of my trade rags had an
article about it the other day.

wrote:
[...]

I actually don't expect 5G for years. If the 4G was more reliable I
would be happy with it. I am still not sure if maybe I just got a bad
router since it is so spotty and a reboot seems to get it going again.
Taking the router out in the yard didn't really help much. I get the
same 25 I get in the house.

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 02:04:01 -0000 (UTC), "Justan O."
wrote:

On 12/25/20 2:00 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 22:33:49 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:04:06 -0500,
wrote:

I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

===

I've been using an LTE router on the boat for a long time. More
recently I've just configured my T-Mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot
which effectively does the same thing.

That is cool as long as you have your phone where you want the data
all the time and all of your devices WiFi. I like my data on my LAN.

All you need is a hot spot with a travel router connected to it. the hot
spot is $50 a month and the router cost $20

This is a base price of $40 with a discount off that for paperless
billing and some other thing. My wife bought it on her cell account so
I am not sure what the bottom line price really is.
This thing does seem to be tied to a particular cell and maybe they
just have me in the wrong cell. They say I can't take it on the road.

On 12/25/20 10:26 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 02:04:01 -0000 (UTC), "Justan O."
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I don't like being tied to contracts. I just bought 2 unlocked phones from
Amazon and swapped out our older phones. I pay $48 a month for unlimited
talk and text with 1 gig data each. My hot spot is $50 a month with
unlimited data. I have to return it when I no longer want the service. The
travel router was $20. It will remember the WI Fi connections you make and
automatically reconnect when it can. My home WiFi is kind of goofy.
Sometimes the speed is 2M other times it's 160M. The only time I have to
manually select WI Fi is when I am connected to a router and it doesn't
have an internet connection.
It's probably very similar to Wayne's setup. His boat is probably close
enough to his house that he doesn't have to move any equipment around.

--
LATIN DEFINITION OF SINISTER ???????

On 12/25/20 10:17 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 14:07:05 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/25/20 1:53 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:12:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/24/20 8:04 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Most "modern" subdivisions, even ours, which is about 15 houses, require
utility wires to be underground. I get "four bars" out of five anywhere
in the house if the Xfinity wired network is up and running properly,
thanks to the signal booster, but it drops to "one bar" and service is
spotty if Xfinity goes down, and it goes down about once a week for a
few hours. Both Xfinity and Verizon on are above-ground lines and poles
outside of subdivisions.

wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

Check the fine print.Â* My friend had to use one until Comcast ran cable
to his house and at first he was limited and had to pay for more data.Â*
When he complained they waived that but throttled his connection after a
few GB of data to a slower speed.Â* It was a few years ago and I think he
was using Verizon.

I doubt I will ever use that much data. The bogie for me is 300GB. (I
think) before it goes to 3G and when it is 5G, that will downshift to
4G. Total is still unlimited.
I think it is going back anyway. I am not happy with the spotty speed.
It seems to swing between 25+mb and less than 8mb. Sometimes it won't
connect at all. It may be a signal strength thing and there is a port
for an external antenna but I will discuss that with the disconnect
agent and whoever they sent me to.

Just may be too many on the tower.