BoatBanter.com

-   -   Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/186804-anyone-else-using-lte-cell-based-home-router.html)

[email protected] December 25th 20 01:04 AM

Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router?

I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

Keyser Söze[_3_] December 25th 20 01:12 AM

On 12/24/20 8:04 PM, wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but my iPhone can
act as an LTE internet connection for other devices.

--
Bozo Binned: Herring, Bert Robbins, JackGoff 452471atgmail.com,
Just-AN-Asshole, Tim, and Gunboy Alex, aka the Gang of Dull, Witless,

Alex[_23_] December 25th 20 02:00 AM

wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

Check the fine print.Â* My friend had to use one until Comcast ran cable
to his house and at first he was limited and had to pay for more data.Â*
When he complained they waived that but throttled his connection after a
few GB of data to a slower speed.Â* It was a few years ago and I think he
was using Verizon.

Wayne B December 25th 20 03:33 AM

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:04:06 -0500, wrote:

I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

===

I've been using an LTE router on the boat for a long time. More
recently I've just configured my T-Mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot
which effectively does the same thing.

Alex[_23_] December 25th 20 03:58 AM

Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:04:06 -0500, wrote:

I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

===

I've been using an LTE router on the boat for a long time. More
recently I've just configured my T-Mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot
which effectively does the same thing.

The speed is less that the dedicated hot spot, right?

Wayne B December 25th 20 04:48 AM

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 22:58:46 -0500, Alex wrote:

Wayne B wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:04:06 -0500, wrote:

I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

===

I've been using an LTE router on the boat for a long time. More
recently I've just configured my T-Mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot
which effectively does the same thing.

The speed is less that the dedicated hot spot, right?

===

It depends on your location, distance from tower, etc. On average
they both offer very usable speed unless you are streaming a lot of
video.

[email protected] December 25th 20 06:53 PM

Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router?

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:12:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/24/20 8:04 PM, wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but my iPhone can
act as an LTE internet connection for other devices.

That is a hot spot, this is a regular LAN attached router with a SIM
card, just like your cable modem except LTE connected.

[email protected] December 25th 20 06:58 PM

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 21:00:42 -0500, Alex wrote:

wrote:
I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

Check the fine print.Â* My friend had to use one until Comcast ran cable
to his house and at first he was limited and had to pay for more data.Â*
When he complained they waived that but throttled his connection after a
few GB of data to a slower speed.Â* It was a few years ago and I think he
was using Verizon.

I doubt I will ever use that much data. The bogie for me is 300GB. (I
think) before it goes to 3G and when it is 5G, that will downshift to
4G. Total is still unlimited.
I think it is going back anyway. I am not happy with the spotty speed.
It seems to swing between 25+mb and less than 8mb. Sometimes it won't
connect at all. It may be a signal strength thing and there is a port
for an external antenna but I will discuss that with the disconnect
agent and whoever they sent me to.

[email protected] December 25th 20 07:00 PM

Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router?

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 22:33:49 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:04:06 -0500, wrote:

I have one on a 2 week trial. So far it is not horrible and around
twice as fast as my DSL. Tacked on our family bill, it is cheaper than
Comcast or DSL.
When 5G finally rolls out here it will really be fast.
It gives me mixed emotions now about 5G. It will kill my trusty old
flip phone but my internet will go a lot faster.
I am just not sure when all of that will happen. The last I heard, we
were not even on the schedule yet.

===

I've been using an LTE router on the boat for a long time. More
recently I've just configured my T-Mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot
which effectively does the same thing.

That is cool as long as you have your phone where you want the data
all the time and all of your devices WiFi. I like my data on my LAN.

[email protected] December 25th 20 07:03 PM

Anyone else using an LTE (cell based) home router?

Wayne B wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately that is the issue here. If my wife is watching a movie,
I want to watch a movie and I am doing anything else, the connection
is strained. If one of the movies is HD, it pretty much crashes.