Default What we SHOULD be worried about...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-invade-taiwan

And a chaotic election could be just the time China decides to do it!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:15:01 -0400, John wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-invade-taiwan

And a chaotic election could be just the time China decides to do it!

Considering the world's apathy toward what's going on in Hong Kong, it
wouldn't surprise me. The only question is whether it is worth a
nuclear war over. We are not beating China in a conventional war in
their own back yard. They might be willing to lose a million soldiers
in that war. How many dead Americans would be acceptable for us,
fighting for an island most people think is part of China anyway?

Our success in non-nuclear wars with Asians has been pretty dismal.

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 13:13:29 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:15:01 -0400, John wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-invade-taiwan

And a chaotic election could be just the time China decides to do it!

Considering the world's apathy toward what's going on in Hong Kong, it
wouldn't surprise me. The only question is whether it is worth a
nuclear war over. We are not beating China in a conventional war in
their own back yard. They might be willing to lose a million soldiers
in that war. How many dead Americans would be acceptable for us,
fighting for an island most people think is part of China anyway?

Our success in non-nuclear wars with Asians has been pretty dismal.

What gives you the idea China would stop with Taiwan?
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 19:10:51 -0400, John wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 13:13:29 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:15:01 -0400, John wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-invade-taiwan

And a chaotic election could be just the time China decides to do it!

Considering the world's apathy toward what's going on in Hong Kong, it
wouldn't surprise me. The only question is whether it is worth a
nuclear war over. We are not beating China in a conventional war in
their own back yard. They might be willing to lose a million soldiers
in that war. How many dead Americans would be acceptable for us,
fighting for an island most people think is part of China anyway?

Our success in non-nuclear wars with Asians has been pretty dismal.

What gives you the idea China would stop with Taiwan?

Uh Oh the dreaded domino theory again.

How many Asian wars do we have to lose over that cold war rhetoric?

They haven't even indicated they want to take Taiwan and you already
have them in Hawaii.

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:15:01 -0400, John wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-invade-taiwan

And a chaotic election could be just the time China decides to do it!

Considering the world's apathy toward what's going on in Hong Kong, it
wouldn't surprise me. The only question is whether it is worth a
nuclear war over. We are not beating China in a conventional war in
their own back yard. They might be willing to lose a million soldiers
in that war. How many dead Americans would be acceptable for us,
fighting for an island most people think is part of China anyway?

Our success in non-nuclear wars with Asians has been pretty dismal.

China has already invaded and taken over Taiwan. The argument now is which
faction of Chinese will be the rulers of the Taiwanese.

wrote:

[...]

Read the article. You missed the point entirely.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

wrote:

[...]

I read it but I think the real result will be Japan waving a nuke or
two in the air. They are fully capable of the technology, even if the
US didn't just give them some like we did for Israel. That is a domino
that might not be so easy to topple. If we are really so worried about
Taiwan itself, why wasn't there more pressure to keep Hong Kong?
As for the Philippines, they chose to leave the US and kicked us out.
"Ya spins the wheel, ya take your chances".

wrote:

[...]

===

Blame the Brits and their 99 year lease for Hong Kong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Hong_Kong

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

Yup, a total lack of forethought not renewing that lease when they had
a shot at it after WWII. I guess the people at the time knew they
would be dead and it wasn't their problem.

wrote:

[...]

We weren't in control of Hong Kong.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!