Default Some good news for a change

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:46:23 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 06:58:29 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 20:17:02 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 14:43:59 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 14:16:30 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 08:59:01 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 20:44:28 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/14/2020 4:59 PM,
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 14:10:24 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

I'm
not. I'm just pointing out that the sharks will be making big money off
this virus.

Congress just piled up $8.5 billion in the street. Don't you think
they intended for someone to come get it? If we were still waiting for
the government, we wouldn't have any kits.

And Congress (and Trump) are about to make up to another $50 billion
available.

Tests for corinavirus will be free.

Meanwhile, over in South Korea where they've been testing away,
something like 91 percent of the tests have been negative.

Sounds like a huge waste of money unless the test also looks for C-19
antibodies, indicating you have licked it and you are no longer a
problem.

I like Luddite's idea:

Feel like ****, test is negative, go to bed for two weeks.

Feel like ****, test is positive, go to bed for two weeks.

I suppose a test in the early stages would help folks decide to go home for two
weeks even if they didn't feel bad. But from what I've heard, folks without
symtoms should not be clogging up the lines.

The only value the test would have for me is to see if it is still
safe to go to my FIL's house but I wouldn't want to give him any kind
of crud, C-19, the flu or just a nasty cold. I am really not sure what
he would do if I got sick tho. I bet it is just a matter of time
before Meals on Wheels shuts down and he is really not supposed to be
driving himself.

If you can't drive, you can't drive. But, if you're able to drive and positive,
I'd mask up and take him the food. Just don't kiss him and make sure your hands
are clean!

I am sure that is what I would do, if I had to just leave it in the
driveway.

A lady on one of the other newsgroups had an interesting idea. How do
UV sanitizers work on viruses and is there an easy way to make one?
Maybe Richard has some experience with heavy duty UV light sources and
the appropriate enclosure.

What would you sanitize with it? Sanitizing your hands at home still leaves you
able to pick up the virus from door handles, shopping carts, other food folks
have picked up and put back, and on and on. You'd surely not be carrying your UV
apparatus and zapping everything in the store you were about to touch.

I was thinking more about stuff that gets delivered to your house
while you are hunkered down. It doesn't help much to stay home if the
virus is coming in the door from a delivery man who is all over town
collecting god knows what. How often does he wash his hands?
Maybe that threat is minimal but then how much of all of this is
overblown? Logic seems to have left the building.

149 people in a room is safe but 251 is dangerous and now illegal?
Come on now.

OK. I don't know where they come up with the numbers. I do know I'm having
second thoughts about a trip to Seattle in May to go for a motorcycle ride to
California with my brother.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:49:46 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 07:02:16 -0400, Adorable Deplorable
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 21:14:51 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 01:09:18 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/15/2020 8:57 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

One of the houses we had in Florida had large UV lamps in the air
handler for the AC system.* They were on the main intake before the air
went through the filter and evaporator coil.

They were advertised as being efficient for killing bacteria but I am
not sure about viruses.

BTW ... I don't think the UV lamps in the AC system kills all bacteria
in the passing air at once. It depends on the fan running for a while
and the air being recirculated through the system many times.

I remember there was a warning label on the outside of the intake
grate that said not to stare into the plenum at the lamps.

We don't have the humidity that Florida has up here and a system
like this isn't needed. But in Florida they are somewhat common.

They do use UV to sanitize medical equipment, but is certain wave lengths.
I think really bad for humans. Maybe put it inside an air handler duct,
out if human space. I know some wavelengths are OK as they are used in
some hand driers and they used to use a UV light to sanitize bowling shoes
when I was a kid. I

I was really thinking of the things you bring into the house.

If the virus is on those things, you've already gotten it on your hands and
probably your beard.

Not it if it was delivered.

I do have pretty good discipline about not touching myself if I am
being careful. It comes from 30 years of working on line printers in a
white shirt. ;-)

:)
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:06:16 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/16/2020 11:53 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 07:33:43 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/16/2020 7:00 AM, Adorable Deplorable wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 20:57:06 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My A/C guy thinks they're great, or at least his profit margin is great, so I
let him put one in. I haven't had but one or two colds in the past eight or ten
years, so maybe they do some good. My last cold was on board a ship.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Apparently there are two major types. One type is
is a small UV lamp located near the evaporator coil and kills stuff that
condenses on it. They are not expensive.

The other type is a larger system designed to kill stuff in the
moving air when the air handler fan is running. These systems
are more costly.

I think to be effective this has to be a lot more powerful than the
black light you had in your dorm to light up the Grateful Dead
posters. I am sure a lot of the stuff they sell is not as effective as
sitting something in the sun for a few minutes.

Not the same animal. Those "black lights" are long wavelength (UV-A)
that is not harmful.

The ones used to kill germs and stuff are shortwave length. (UV-C)

In the world I came from we created UV radiation in a plasma
within a vacuum chamber. It was of wide wavelengths some of which
are harmful to eyes to look at but the type of glass used in the
"sightports" to view inside the chamber absorbed most of it.

They make LED UV lamps now for use in sanitizing systems like
those used in AC ductwork.

I thought about this a little more last night and I am thinking if I
see an old "20 pound turkey" sized microwave on the curb somewhere I
might grab it. I figure you could chuck all of the electronics inside,
keep the interlock switches. Put some reflective surfaces inside,
warped a little to spread the light around, including covering the
window on the door and put some of those U/V LEDS around inside. Maybe
a spring wound timer to run the light and off you go. Put your
packages or whatever in there and "cook" it 15 minutes or so.
If you wanted to get fancy you could have a rotating mirror array to
really spread the light around.
I do have a couple sheets of that "mirror" grade stainless in the
garage like you see in commercial bathrooms. The interlock switches
would save the user from U/V burns.

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think it's all based statistical data and the probability on one
person infecting "X" number of people.

It's a case that supports the mass testing of everyone.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Mine is the second, but I can't swear to its effectiveness. But, on the other
hand, I can't complain either!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Lamps need to be replaced on a schedule. Usually a year for the larger
systems that treat moving air.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I don't think I want to get on a plane but I never really liked
getting on planes. We always scrub up everything we can touch in a 1st
class seat. I still think there are too many people too close to me.
The more I hear about this, the more I think, I may already be social
distancing. ;-)

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The flaw in the testing is it is just a snapshot in time. If you are
not putting that person on a sterile space ship and shooting them into
orbit, they can get infected tomorrow.
I really think this is going to be like a lot of diseases and the
thing that is really important is if you had it and beat it like
Chicken Pox in our day. This virus is not going away.

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Luckily, I've never ridden in first class, so there's a lot less wiping to do.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There is zero social distancing if you are stuck in a center seat
between two 250 pound people. I didn't like that before the C-19.

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:24:02 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have a prostate problem. I always get an aisle seat. My wife gets the aisle
seat in front of me and doesn't recline her seat.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!