Default Tom Francis...a bit more

Before he died, Tom asked me not to mention this because he didn't want to be
tooting his own horn. Now that he's died, I don't think it will bother him!

During the Vietnam war, Tom was a member of the United States Marine Corps Force
Reconnaissance. Force Reconnaissance (FORECON) is one of the United States
Marine Corps' special operations capable forces (SOC).

They perform the following tasks (from Wikipedia)
Special Reconnaissance
Deep Reconnaissance
Long-Range Reconnaissance
Unconventional Warfare
Direct Action
Hydrographic Reconnaissance
Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS)
Maritime Interdiction Operations (MIO)

In other words, they are the meanest, sonsabitches in the valley.

If you ever get a chance to go through the Marine Corps Museum at the Marine
Corps Base Quantico, you'll find a picture of the camoflaged Tom Francis in the
Force Recon section of the Vietnam portion of the museum.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On 3/14/2020 8:57 AM, Adorable Deplorable wrote:
[...]

Yup.

https://www.avg.com

Tim Tim is offline

John H
[...]

——-

He was involved in some pretty deep crap. Jumped into a firefight our of a Huey where the two guys in front of him were dead before their feet hit the ground. Was hi by morter fire where the percussion blew him back about 15 -20 feet and he temporarily lost his hearing. In the past few years he helped sponsor vets of all branch’s to get them specialized treatment and VA benefits the person didn’t know they were eligible for.

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 07:30:21 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
[...]

My old buddy since Cub Scouts was Recon. He was my roomie for 3 years
after and he never wanted to talk about it. That usually means it was
pretty ugly from what I know of combat guys but the recon boys were in
the grass for most of their tour. It wasn't Budweiser and pizza for
them. I never knew Tom but I hope he was able to escape the demons. My
buddy wasn't that lucky.

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:18:02 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 07:30:21 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
[...]

He had some rough times.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:18:02 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 07:30:21 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
[...]

Tom was the type of guy who took personal adversities as a reason to
help others. Even when I knew him he had some major health issues
but they never dampened his spirit.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 17:18:02 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 07:30:21 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
[...]

I saw a lot of his FB posts. He seemed to be cross linked across a
couple different groups of friends. I am sorry I never got to know him
better.

Captain Tom Francis RIP Tim General 15 March 14th 20 01:38 AM
Ping: Tom Francis Wayne.B General 2 December 28th 08 11:22 PM
CQ Capt. Francis.... Tim General 16 November 29th 08 02:04 PM
Thank you Capt. Francis! Tim General 14 November 18th 08 10:26 PM
Hey, Capt. Tom Francis Tim General 13 February 18th 07 03:59 AM