Tim Tim is offline

Default Hey, Capt. Tom Francis

http://www.marinersschool.com/

Get a Capt. license with no USCG exam.

is this like getting a medical diploma from the University of
Bohmvobia? send us the money, we send you the diploma!

???

Tim wrote:
http://www.marinersschool.com/

Get a Capt. license with no USCG exam.

is this like getting a medical diploma from the University of
Bohmvobia? send us the money, we send you the diploma!

???

It's like anything you do - you get out of it what you put into it.

A lot of the USCG testing is done by organizations like this. Some
teach their test, some teach the material and test against it.

You can learn a lot in these classes, but they are so condensed that you
end up reviewing every once in a while just to keep the knowledge ready.

I took the USCG exam years ago before the sea schools and from what I
understand, it's a lot harder than these tests. It's a matter of degree
- how much is considered acceptable in terms of error and what not.

It's one thing to be able to pass the test - it's another to have the
sea time to qualify for a particular level license. I know guys who
have 100 ton licenses and own a 20 foot bass boat. As long as you can
document a friend's boat as "experience", you can qualify.

It's an odd situation. I used to have a 100 ton license, but I
downgraded the license to 25 tons because I never used the 100 ton
license. The nice thing is that I have good endorsements which is all I
ever wanted to achieve when I first started on this path years ago.
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 17, 3:35�pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

now that you mentioned it, why the downgrade from 100 to 20 t.?

I can understand the usage, but is there an extreme cost difference
with maintaining the status?

Tim Tim is offline

now that you mentioned it, why the downgrade from 100 to 20 t.?

Sorry, 100 down to 25 ton status...

wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

Not really. I could get the recency time because one of my family
members owns a tug/barge combination and I could always get time on that
everytime it went out. It wasn't hard to keep current with the requirements.

The 25 ton Near Coastal Masters is fine. I have the sail endorsement,
radar and towing - all I need.

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

radar and towing - all I need.- Hide quoted text -

OK Tom, for you, what is the advantage of having a Masters license?

do you use it? or keep it "just in case?"

This is interesting...

Thanks!

wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

Nothing in particular for me as an individual. If you want to make a
living as a ferry operator or tug captain, charter captain, etc., then
it's required.

do you use it? or keep it "just in case?"

During the summer, yes. I'm not out of the charter business - I'm
already booked for April (or as booked as I want to be) on the Ranger
and have about half of what I want for May/June - I'm taking July and
about half of August off, then it's the Fall rush where I'm really busy
helping other captains and my regular bunch of fly fishers.

I have contacts with charter captains around here who occasionally need
a day off or want to operate more than one boat on any particular day -
that kind of thing.

I use it on the larger boats that go out further or perhaps on a
multi-day run to the Canyons where I split the duties with the owner -
that kind of thing. I do a on-water training cycles - basic boat
handling, that sort of thing for a couple of dealers. I even do a
trailer towing course for four hours with hands on backing, manuevering,
etc.

I suppose I could get away with an OUPV with the same endorsements, but
I've had the Masters license since like forever.

This is interesting...

I guess.

wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

That is an impressive credential Tom. I guess I will have to call you
Captain from now on. ;-)

Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 17, 5:45 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

This is interesting...

I guess

To me it is. Very!

Thanks!

Capt. JG's Christmas List? Ellen MacArthur ASA 0 December 24th 06 10:08 PM
Capt. Neal's baby... Lady Pilot ASA 11 August 8th 06 01:48 AM
Capt. KNEEL® Marley Cruising 8 May 1st 05 06:42 PM
Capt. Mooron, a pale shadow of a man? Capt. Neal® ASA 5 April 6th 05 11:11 AM
Capt. American at the bar.... Capt. Mooron ASA 1 July 22nd 03 10:15 PM