Default boating this weekend

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 16:55:22 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 15:51:54 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 12:50:40 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 11:53:59 -0500,

wrote:

On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 19:47:48 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 19:25:16 -0500, Alex wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 16:00:26 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 19:08:32 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:54:09 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Heading off to Half Moon Bay for the recreational crab opener in a short
time. Big party as well as able to start fishing for Dungeness crab at
midnight tonight. Some go out and drop pots then. I wait till morning.
Probably a 3 hour pot soak will fill the 10 crab per person limit.
Hope you had good luck!

Bad luck. Came home with donated crabs. We have had a problem the last
few years with pot poachers. Dropped 4 pots came back in a couple hours to
no pots. About a $500 loss. They may show up as the poachers will take
the crabs and then the pots get dropped a ways distant.
I suppose you need to carry a shotgun and anchor over the crab pots any more.

They have put new rules in place about pulling another’s pots. Makes it a
penalty via law. Before, since sport crabs can not be sold, they were
considered valueless, so there was no theft. Commercial crab pots get you
jail or big fine. Doubt the shotgun, but maybe 8oz sinkers flying through
the air.
Sinkers can work wonders!

Until you use one on a guy with a 9mm willing to send some lead your way.

... or a .308

===

I've never tried it but I'd think that getting off a well aimed shot
from a moving boat would be quite difficult.

There was a discussion about this on THT and you are right but in this
case I doubt you really want to hit the thief anyway.

A 12 gauge without shot may be the way to go.

===

Legally it would probably be considered brandishing or threatening
with a deadly weapon. Worse yet, it might justify return fire.

Joking.

John H. wrote:
[...]

A 12 ga without shot just goes "Pluah" with unburned powder falling
out of the barrel.

John H. wrote:
[...]

No bang? Damn, guess I'll never try that!

John H. wrote:
[...]

Shotgun powder is slow and without the pellets to hold the over powder
wad in it just pushes the charge down the barrel. It might all light
or not. Also if you just hit the primer of a shot shell in free air,
(like with a BB gun) it will just blow out the side of the shell.
We found a box of shells in the woods when I was a kid and we tried
all sorts of stuff until I figured out it was a perfect fit in the
pipe on the monkey bars (I had a loose piece of that).
Wedge that between a couple of logs and hit the primer with a center
punch and it will go bang. Next step was talking a plumber into
threading the pipe and giving me a cap. Drill a hole in that cap. Head
space the shell with a couple of washers and put a roofing nail in the
hole and you can get pretty dangerous ;-)

John H. wrote:
[...]

I hope the Homeland Security folks aren't monitoring your posts!

John H. wrote:
[...]

Ah, I knew I needed a .50 for something. Now if I can just convince my wife!

John H. Wrote in message:
On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 20:28:13 -0500, Alex wrote: On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 19:25:16 -0500, Alex wrote: John H. wrote: On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 16:00:26 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote: John H. wrote: On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 19:08:32 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote: John H. wrote: On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:54:09 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote: Heading off to Half Moon Bay for the recreational crab opener in a short time. Big party as well as able to start fishing for Dungeness crab at midnight tonight. Some go out and drop pots then. I wait till morning. Probably a 3 hour pot soak will fill the 10 crab per person limit. Hope you had good luck! Bad luck. Came home with donated crabs. We have had a problem the last few years with pot poachers. Dropped 4 pots came back in a couple hours to no pots. About a $500 loss. They may show up as the poachers will take the crabs and then the pots get dropped a ways distant. I suppose you need to carry a shotgun and anchor over the crab pots any more. They have put new rules in place about pulling another+AJI-s pots. Makes it a penalty via law. Before, since sport crabs can not be sold, they were considered valueless, so there was no theft. Commercial crab pots get you jail or big fine. Doubt the shotgun, but maybe 8oz sinkers flying through the air. Sinkers can work wonders! Until you use one on a guy with a 9mm willing to send some lead your way. ... or a .308Or a .50.Ah, I knew I needed a .50 for something. Now if I can just convince my wife!

Tell her it's a post hole digger.
--
..

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John H. wrote:
[...]

I think the statute of limitations ran out on things I did in the 50s.

John H. wrote:
[...]

If you are getting a .50 BMG, don't screw around with a Barrett. Get
an M2.
At $3-4 a round it does get a little spendy to shoot tho.