Default A Brazil Nut a Day...

On 2/13/2019 6:56 AM, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:52:52 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 16:50:15 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 16:35:44 -0500,
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:16:14 -0500, John H.
wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

Ziploc bag in the freezer.

I figure I've received a lifetime of selenium resulting from several
projects back in the 80's. I was involved in designing, testing and
running several high vacuum deposition systems that coated aluminum
drums with selenium (which is a photo receptor material) used in
copying machines used during that period. Built them for Ricoh,
A.B. Dick and other, replacement drum manufacturers. The smell and
dust buildup when you opened the deposition chamber is still burned
in my mind.

---
https://www.avg.com

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as
a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be
overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably
last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

Ziploc bag in the freezer.

I figure I've received a lifetime of selenium resulting from several
projects back in the 80's.Â* I was involved in designing, testing and
running several high vacuum deposition systems that coated aluminum
drums with selenium (which is a photo receptor material) used in
copying machines used during that period.Â* Built them for Ricoh,
A.B. Dick and other, replacement drum manufacturers. The smell and
dust buildup when you opened the deposition chamber is still burned
in my mind.

---
https://www.avg.com

Do you glow in the dark? Do you have a secret desire to sleep with
Selena Gomez?

wrote:

[...]

Hope you've not had any health problems caused by the exposure. From what I've read too much
selenium can be damn harmful.

wrote:

[...]

Doubtful. I usually wore gloves and a mask. There were materials
and chemicals used for other optical applications that were probably
more dangerous. Thorium Floride for example is used for high energy
laser coatings. Thorium itself is mildly radioactive but has a
half life of 14.05 billion years. Gonna take a while for me to rid any
exposure to it. :-)

wrote:

[...]

If you only live a quarter of its life you'll be doing pretty good.

John H. wrote:

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a
defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be
overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

I buy the fancy mixed nuts from Costco. Has Brazil nuts as well as others.
Nice snack.

Freezing them wouldn't be a bad idea either, unless you go through them rapidly.

They are salted, which helps. Plus we use for table snacks when the wife’s
SCC meets.

wrote:

[...]

Does burning up a rectifier count?
Tim Tim is offline

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 07:54:47 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"

Does burning up a rectifier count?

No, they just stink the place up

wrote:

[...]

Depends on how many I suppose. I remember as a little kid
the family Motorola black and white TV had
the selenium rectifier go bad. Nothing you had to
guess at.

---
https://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

This was a really big one. The plates were about 4" square and there
were a bunch of them, just not quite enough for 120vac in.
I think it was rated for 48v or something once I investigated it.
Then I found out a tiny silicon diode would do the same thing.
This was in the early 60s and I didn't really know much about silicon.
I never touched selenium since.
It did put on quite a show before the breaker popped and I am sure I
got a lifetime supply of selenium dioxide smoke.
The apartment needed a good airing out too.

Boatbuilding in Brazil... Caribmon Cruising 0 October 30th 04 04:55 PM
FS: Charter Sailboat in Brazil Capt. Vargas Marketplace 0 April 24th 04 01:45 PM
Anyone know about boats built in Brazil? Craig Cruising 0 January 1st 04 09:11 PM
Brazil anyone? Mike Cobbe Cruising 0 September 29th 03 11:11 AM
Building Catamarans in Brazil Caribmon Boat Building 0 July 6th 03 02:04 PM