BoatBanter.com

-   -   A Brazil Nut a Day... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/181625-brazil-nut-day.html)

John H.[_5_] February 12th 19 05:16 PM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

....may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

[email protected] February 12th 19 09:35 PM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:16:14 -0500, John H.
wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

John H.[_5_] February 12th 19 09:50 PM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

[email protected] February 12th 19 11:52 PM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

Alex[_17_] February 13th 19 12:27 AM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.
Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

You can probably freeze them.

Bill[_12_] February 13th 19 03:22 AM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

John H. wrote:
...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a
defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded,
which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Selenium in excess is not good. We have lots of natural selenium in the
hills above the Central Valley. Was an environmental disaster when the
field drain catchment basins had birds nesting there and having two heads,
etc. they removed all growth around so the birds would not nest in the
area.

Bill[_12_] February 13th 19 03:35 AM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a
defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be
overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

I buy the fancy mixed nuts from Costco. Has Brazil nuts as well as others.
Nice snack.

John H.[_5_] February 13th 19 11:56 AM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

Ziploc bag in the freezer.

John H.[_5_] February 13th 19 12:34 PM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 03:22:11 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H. wrote:
...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a
defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be overloaded,
which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Selenium in excess is not good. We have lots of natural selenium in the
hills above the Central Valley. Was an environmental disaster when the
field drain catchment basins had birds nesting there and having two heads,
etc. they removed all growth around so the birds would not nest in the
area.

Very true. We Brazil nut lovers must limit ourselves to only one or, at the most, two per day.

John H.[_5_] February 13th 19 12:35 PM

A Brazil Nut a Day...

wrote:

...may keep prostate cancer at bay!

https://www.drjohnlapuma.com/vitamin...ostate-cancer/

Consumer Reports latest health bulletin also pushes Brazil nuts as a
defense against Alzheimers.
Apparently selenium is some pretty good stuff, but it can be
overloaded, which is why only one or
two nuts a day is recommended.

Too bad most of them are hard to get into. If I am buying them loose I
shake every one.

I ordered a pound of shelled ones from Amazon. A pound will probably last a year.

How do you store them. I find the ones I get at Christmas are garbage
by Easter (gummy with a funny taste)

I buy the fancy mixed nuts from Costco. Has Brazil nuts as well as others.
Nice snack.

Freezing them wouldn't be a bad idea either, unless you go through them rapidly.