Greg

Default Mercruiser V6 Alarm....

Hi

Thought I would save myself a few dollars and do a bit of maintenance on my
Bayliner 1850 yesterday and now an alarm is sounding (constant and high
pitched)and I have no idea what it is trying to alert me to. Basically, all
I did was change the fuel separator, the oil filter, the engine oil and the
oil in the leg (Alpha One). I actually put the boat in the water yesterday
afternoon and initially thought that the alarm was just the depth alarm
(this has happened before) so I made sure that the depth alarm was turned
off and the alarm was still sounding. My only thought then was that it
might be an oil pressure alarm but the oil pressure guage on the dash was
showing expected pressures (engine temp was fine also).

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Greg

JohnH

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:22:37 +1100, "Greg" wrote:

Hi

Thought I would save myself a few dollars and do a bit of maintenance on my
Bayliner 1850 yesterday and now an alarm is sounding (constant and high
pitched)and I have no idea what it is trying to alert me to. Basically, all
I did was change the fuel separator, the oil filter, the engine oil and the
oil in the leg (Alpha One). I actually put the boat in the water yesterday
afternoon and initially thought that the alarm was just the depth alarm
(this has happened before) so I made sure that the depth alarm was turned
off and the alarm was still sounding. My only thought then was that it
might be an oil pressure alarm but the oil pressure guage on the dash was
showing expected pressures (engine temp was fine also).

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Check the drive fluid reservoir. Inside mine is a floating switch. When the
fluid is low, the alarm sounds. If the float gets gunked and doesn't 'float',
the alarm will also sound. Also check to see you didn't accidentally disconnect
one of the wires coming from the bottle.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Floyd in Tampa

.. Basically, all
I did was change the fuel separator, the oil filter, the engine oil and

the
oil in the leg

Look around and see if you broke or otherwise disconnected one of the engine
sensor wires, like the heat or oil pressure wires, even though the gauges
look ok.

lomaxelectrical

Ok, So I'll own up. You may have made the same mistake I did. I changed the
oil in the my Alpha 1 leg for the first time since owning the boat. All my
previous boats were outboard and I used the same filling method as I have
always done. ie squeeze oil in via the lower plug and watch for oil from
the upper /vent plug. This had caused an air lock in the hose to the
resevoir tank in the engine bay. Filling the tank stopped the buzzer for a
while but as the air in the tube gradually rose into the tank, the oil level
dropped and the buzzer sounded again. It took about 4 top-ups over a week to
get rid of the air and silence the buzzer. DOH!
Steve
"Greg" wrote in message
m.au...
[...]

Charles Brown

Could be your vapour detector. If you get this when you first start
your engines you should be able to silence it by pressing something on
the detector but if it just keeps going, you may have a problem with a
vapour leak.