Default Yo Tim - or any knowledgeable individual

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:41:29 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 11/14/2018 6:23 PM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:
John H. Wrote in message:
So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the batteries were dead. The chargersaid they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the truck easily several timessince. However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I should replace them. You'vepraised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these:https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...c kType=G2The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn'twant to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. SoI could get them for about $160 each.Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's worth the extra bucks?

The batteries may have discharged due to an accessory or courtesy
light left on. A load test will tell you if your batteries are
still good. 4 years is a pretty good life span so I wouldn't
object to you changing them out if you want to. The longest I've
kept a boat starting battery in service is 9 years. That's
exceptional.

Although not a "deep cycle" marine type battery, the OEM battery in my
Ford F-250 lasted 8 years. I attribute it's long life to being part
of the "tow package" that included a heavier duty battery and alternator
to run the plow hydraulic pump.

When it went, it died a sudden death though.

I'm wondering if keeping the battery in the trailer charged and running the trailer lights, etc.,
may have shortened the life of the batteries. I suppose I could use the charger and get some more
time out of them, but I wouldn't want a repeat of the 'dead truck' when out on a camping trip
somewhere.

Besides, I'll be paying about $3500 less taxes this year, so I can afford to splurge.

Thanks, President Trump!

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 23:09:20 -0500, wrote:

https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...bloc kType=G2

The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn't
want to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. So
I could get them for about $160 each.

Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's worth the extra bucks?

===

For what it's worth, I've replaced all of the lead-acid 8D starting
batteries on our boat with pairs of AGM group 31M batts in parallel.
The 31Ms are half the weight and much easier to handle. They also
have more cold cranking amps and a higher charge acceptance rate. Last
but not least they are lasting twice as long as the 8Ds.

---
https://www.avg.com

AGM's are what I'm going with. When it comes to vehicular electronics, I don't argue with Tim much.

wrote:

[...]

Costco has AGMs and I think installation is free.

I looked here, but couldn't find any on the web. Maybe it's just my local store.

wrote:

[...]

One of my near neighbors with a pick-me-up truck similar to mine went
with an Odyssey AGM, group or size 34 something. He said it had more
cold cranking amps than the others he considered. I happened to see him
installing it last year, and just for fun I hefted it up off his garage
floor. Sucker must weigh 50 pounds.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:33:14 -0500 (EST), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 11/15/18 12:11 AM, Bill wrote: wrote: On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:39:16 -0500, John H. wrote: So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the batteries were dead. The charger said they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the truck easily several times since. However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I should replace them. You've praised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these: https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-48/p-02850748000P?sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&bloc kType=G2 The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn't want to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. So I could get them for about $160 each. Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each.

Are AGM's worth the extra bucks? === For what it's worth, I've replaced all of the lead-acid 8D starting batteries on our boat with pairs of AGM group 31M batts in parallel. The 31Ms are half the weight and much easier to handle. They also have more cold cranking amps and a higher charge acceptance rate. Last but not least they are lasting twice as long as the 8Ds. --- This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. https://www.avg.com Costco has AGMs and I think installation is free. One of my near neighbors with a pick-me-up truck similar to mine went with an Odyssey AGM, group or size 34 something. He said it had more cold cranking amps than the others he considered. I happened to see him installing it last year, and just for fun I hefted it up off his garage floor. Sucker must weigh 50 pounds.

Surprise. Batteries are pretty heavy. I hope you didn't hurt yourself.

===

A 50 pound battery is a lightweight by my standards. My old 8D boat
batteries were about 170 pounds each and had to be hoisted over large
engines. The new group 31 AGMs are about 70 lbs and considerably
easier to manage.

wrote:

[...]

Well, my recollection was that the Group 34 AGM seemed to weigh about
50% more than the last "old style" Group 34 battery I replaced in an SUV.

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you got ripped off.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:34:40 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

Well, my recollection was that the Group 34 AGM seemed to weigh about
50% more than the last "old style" Group 34 battery I replaced in an SUV.

Ahem. A "S" doesn't sound like a vowel.

:-)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:00:55 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:34:40 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

Well, my recollection was that the Group 34 AGM seemed to weigh about
50% more than the last "old style" Group 34 battery I replaced in an SUV.

Ahem. A "S" doesn't sound like a vowel.

:-)

Ahem. Always use 'an' for words which sound like they start with a vowel, and always use 'a' for
words which sound like they start with a consonant.

On 11/15/2018 2:50 PM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:00:55 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:34:40 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

Well, my recollection was that the Group 34 AGM seemed to weigh about
50% more than the last "old style" Group 34 battery I replaced in an SUV.

Ahem. A "S" doesn't sound like a vowel.

:-)

Ahem. Always use 'an' for words which sound like they start with a vowel, and always use 'a' for
words which sound like they start with a consonant.

I had to look it up. I always knew about an "a" before a consonant (did
that right!) and an "an" before before a vowel. (did that right too!)

But I never knew about the official rules about "sounding" like a vowel
or a consonant.

Musta skipped class that day.