Default Yo Tim - or any knowledgeable individual

So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the batteries were dead. The charger
said they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the truck easily several times
since.

However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I should replace them. You've
praised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these:

https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...bloc kType=G2

The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn't
want to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. So
I could get them for about $160 each.

Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's worth the extra bucks?

John H. wrote:
So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the
batteries were dead. The charger
said they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the
truck easily several times
since.

However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I
should replace them. You've
praised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these:

https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...bloc kType=G2

The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I
could do myself if I didn't
want to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll
give me another 10% off. So
I could get them for about $160 each.

Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's
worth the extra bucks?

Take the truck to the battery place that checks batteries. I had one take
down the good battery. Unfortunately I had Walmart replace the battery
while in Twin Falls, ID. Get home few days later and truck has low
battery. They replaced the good battery, not the 2011 batt. As to the
AGM, I think in our trucks, not worth it. Does the truck alternator charge
them properly?

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:29:06 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H. wrote:
[...]

Charging system seems to be working OK. Auto Zone, across the street will test the batteries, but
they have to be taken out of the vehicle. The front one's easy, the one next to the firewall is a
bitch. Hell, they're four years old. The difference in price would be around $110 for the pair of
AGM's. That's not that bad. Have to admit that the reviews I've read for AGM's sing their praises.
Tim Tim is offline

John H. wrote:
[...]

To me, AGM is the only way to go. I've bought leadd acid batteries for years, then got turned on to the AGM. They seem to be hotter and ore durable. I have a friend with an AGM in his old tractor. The machine is hardly used. He got tired of lead batteries going 'stale' so he switched to AGM. it's been in there 7 years and still starts on demand like new.

The ones I use are set with four posts. They advertise these as automotive/marine. They work good trolling or in every day driving and need no maintenance or a special charger. And if you happen to have a low battery, these recharge at a very quick rate.

The back battery in your truck is a gripe to change. For the service you're getting that's not a bad price at all

I'd go for it.

John H. wrote:
[...]

The deal has been made. Thanks.

Tim Tim is offline

John H. wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you'll be pleased with their performance, John...

On 11/14/2018 6:23 PM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:
John H. Wrote in message:
So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the batteries were dead. The chargersaid they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the truck easily several timessince. However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I should replace them. You'vepraised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these:https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...c kType=G2The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn'twant to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. SoI could get them for about $160 each.Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's worth the extra bucks?

The batteries may have discharged due to an accessory or courtesy
light left on. A load test will tell you if your batteries are
still good. 4 years is a pretty good life span so I wouldn't
object to you changing them out if you want to. The longest I've
kept a boat starting battery in service is 9 years. That's
exceptional.

Although not a "deep cycle" marine type battery, the OEM battery in my
Ford F-250 lasted 8 years. I attribute it's long life to being part
of the "tow package" that included a heavier duty battery and alternator
to run the plow hydraulic pump.

When it went, it died a sudden death though.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:39:16 -0500, John H.
wrote:

So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the batteries were dead. The charger
said they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the truck easily several times
since.

However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I should replace them. You've
praised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these:

https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...bloc kType=G2

The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn't
want to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. So
I could get them for about $160 each.

Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's worth the extra bucks?

I usually just get the regular 2 year Walmart battery. Some will go 6
or 7 years. Others crap out before the 2 years is up. That is better
because they just give you a new one.

This is the one I use in everything (it even fits the Honda)
It is bigger than the one that came with any of them but it fits in
the box. (Group 24F)

https://tinyurl.com/y9zfs5tj

wrote:

So here's the deal. Yesterday when I went to start the truck, the batteries were dead. The charger
said they were at 49% charged. They did take a charge and started the truck easily several times
since.

However, they are four year-old WalMart batteries, so I'm thinking I should replace them. You've
praised AGM batteries in the past. Sears has these:

https://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...bloc kType=G2

The guy will sell them to me for $176.99 plus $40 installation (which I could do myself if I didn't
want to help Trump's employment numbers). And, being ex-military, he'll give me another 10% off. So
I could get them for about $160 each.

Thoughts? I could get the non-AGM's for about $40 less each. Are AGM's worth the extra bucks?

===

For what it's worth, I've replaced all of the lead-acid 8D starting
batteries on our boat with pairs of AGM group 31M batts in parallel.
The 31Ms are half the weight and much easier to handle. They also
have more cold cranking amps and a higher charge acceptance rate. Last
but not least they are lasting twice as long as the 8Ds.

---
https://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

Costco has AGMs and I think installation is free.