Default Richard, Flight simulators?

On 10/22/2018 1:25 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 13:02:06 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 10/22/18 12:49 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:20:35 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/21/2018 10:32 PM,
wrote:

Is there a beginner's flight simulator for PCs that a smart kid can
run.

Don't know. I used to have some of the early Microsoft Flight Simulator
versions years ago but haven't kept up with new ones.

There's some free, online flight simulators that you use from their
specific website but the couple I've tried are really horrible. The
controls are not realistic at all.

You might want to call a local flight school and ask if they have
any recommendations. Some have some very good simulators now
and time on the simulator can count towards your log time in some
cases when taking flight instruction.

I doubt this will go as far as getting in a plane but who knows. I am
just trying to feed the quest for knowledge we have with our grand
daughter. She does seem to master anything she tries so who knows.
Thanks

A simulator is close enough for me. Decades ago, when I was involved in
a political campaign, one of the strategists had a single engine plane
he would fly to various meetings. He offered to fly me to the UP once,
but I said no. Couple of years later a mutual friend told me he died
when his plane crashed.

If that wasn't bad enough, when I was in DC I used printing company
whose owner had a "stunt plane," and he offered to take me up. Nope. He
ended up crashing it into a bridge.

Oh, I forgot...when I was in West Virginia, I took a ride in a copter
from Huntington to Morgantown. Copter had a controlled crash up near
Morgantown.

"Pilot" always ends up in the top 10 most dangerous jobs. These aren't
airline pilots, they are the guys who fly those little "Buddy Holly"
planes.
BTW I read a cool story on AvWeb this morning. A student and his
instructor put a plane down on the freeway in El Cajon, dropping it
right into traffic between cars, coasted to the ramp and rolled it off
in the (grass with a little help). The CHP reported no injuries or
property damage and minimal disruption to traffic flow.
These things can have a happy ending.

General aviation (recreational) accounts for about 98 percent of all
crashes, averaging about 5 per month.

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 1:02:10 PM UTC-4, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/22/18 12:49 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:20:35 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/21/2018 10:32 PM,
wrote:

[...]

You do seem to hang with some sketchy peeps. I've been up in numerous private airplanes and in a Zlin ("stunt plane") and a heli, and none of them have ever crashed or had an incident of any kind.

Oh, and you "forgot" that you were in a "controlled crash" in a heli. Uh-huh.

I smell more BS.

On 10/22/18 12:49 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:20:35 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/21/2018 10:32 PM,
wrote:

[...]

===

We've done a number of "adventure" flights in small planes and
helicopters, three of them in Alaska. One of the more memorable was a
flight in a single engine de Havilland Otter float plane from
Ketchikan back into the Misty Fjords region. We landed on a small
lake back in the boondocks and spent some time there before flying
back to Ketchikan to meet up with our cruise ship. It's an incredibly
beautiful area and we saw a herd of mountain goats clinging to the
side of a cliff among other things. Unfortunately several of those
planes have crashed since we were there. One flew into a clifff and
killed everyone on board, and another crash landed on a lake and
everyone was able to swim to safety.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/New-details-in-2015-plane-crash-that-killed-9-near-Ketchikan-416896613.html

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:20:35 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/21/2018 10:32 PM,
wrote:

[...]

I've suffered through many flights in a Twinn Otter. If you don't
hear parts rattleing and clunking, it means they fell
off.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 10/22/18 12:49 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:20:35 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/21/2018 10:32 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Heh. The Otter we flew in had a single, big rotary engine.
Apparently they burn or leak oil almost as fast as they burn fuel.
Last thing before take off in Ketchikan a guy came out with a 5 gallon
jerry jug and topped off the oil - even worse than a Detroit Diesel.
:-)

---
http://www.avg.com

On 10/22/18 12:49 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:20:35 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/21/2018 10:32 PM,
wrote:

[...]

We flew an Otter out to Wolverine Creek from Ketchikan. Got to sit in the
right seat. One with the old rotary engine, most have been converted to
turbines. Great viewing. A few helicopter rides. Kauai a couple months
ago and Victoria Falls, Africa. I was offered a job as a Helicopter pilot
in 1965, figured fixing ILS systems was healthier.

Witty Flight Attendant John H[_2_] General 0 January 13th 18 01:14 PM
RC B-29 Flight Poquito Loco General 20 July 12th 14 11:34 PM
Heros of flight 1594 nockers Tall Ship Photos 0 January 19th 09 01:04 AM
Flying Pig's first Test Flight Skip Gundlach Boat Building 0 January 7th 07 04:41 AM
Pre-flight check Tip Simple Simon ASA 18 August 20th 03 12:44 AM