Default Question for Fat Harry

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 19:28:34 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 8/2/18 7:15 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 18:13:44 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 8/2/18 5:29 PM, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 8/2/18 3:17 PM, justan wrote:
Wrote in message:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 11:43:38 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 8/2/18 11:25 AM, justan wrote:
Its Me Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 9:41:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 20:02:12 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Hardest part was learning how to properly
headspace a barrel. Do it wrong and possible kaboom.

More like a failure to go into battery, causing a failure to fire or
failure to extract, causing a double feed jam.

He's talking about the AR-15 he "built", and there's really nothing to headspace on one. If the barrel and receiver are properly machined to spec, it has the proper headspace built into the design. When it becomes important is when you are fitting a more traditional barrel and receiver together, and are doing the machining yourself. Let's say you have a Mauser 98 action, and you're building a 30-06 with a Shaw barrel. Then you have to check and machine in the correct headspace, and even then it's not hard to do.

Another fabricated Fat Harry story?

Barrels in sporting rifles don't headspace themselves automatically, and
it is worth taking a few minutes to check it. If JackOff wants to take
the chance of a kaboom, it is fine with me.

You still have not said where the kaboom comes from. If the headspace
is too large the extractor might not grab the rim, causing a jam or
the firing pin might not hit the primer, causing a misfire, worst case
a hang fire but they are very rare with modern primers.
If the headspace is too small the bolt won't close. No boom at all
there. A bolt action usually will not shoot until the bolt is seated
and a SA has a disconnector.

I suppose all you gun fanciers are waiting for Fat Harry's learned
response.

Ask your limited experience buddies...

What happens when excessive headspace makes the casing split, the gas in
the chamber is not sealed, and the gas is vented into the breech.

Define excessive, oh learned one.

Excessive..."too much." Got it, imbecile?

When you look at the geometry, it is going to be pretty hard to get
the headspace so far out of whack to cause a case rupture and still
allow the firing pin to hit the primer. Obviously that will have to be
a bottle neck cartridge because a straight case will not change the
gap between brass and steel at all if they are set back too far.
I have actually split cases when I was reloading with no particular
drama anyway. That is why we wear eye protection. ;-)
I had a .357 case split from the mouth almost all the way back to the
rim when I went a little too far with the wrong kind of powder.
(Bullseye). It was actually a load I read in a book (Cartridges of the
World) but there must have been a typo or something.
Lesson, always use a real reloading manual, not just an entertainment
book written by a journalism major.

It's hard to think of a journalism major who has made himself/herself an
expert in a field of interest to you who wouldn't know a lot more than you.

But, then, you think yourself a Man for All Seasons and Reasons.

I will venture to say I have head spaced more guns than you.
I could head space an M2 in the dark.
(after I put it together from a field strip)
You get bored on the ship after a few weeks at sea. ;-)

I am not talking about twilight. I mean a water tight compartment with
the lights off.

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 11:10:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 19:26:29 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Here's a URL for you...perhaps you'll understand a bit of it.

https://is.gd/5K7EXk

I still did not see a "kaboom".

And his linked article was for bolt action rifles. The only rifle he's ever talked about building and checking headspace on is an AR-15... a completely different beast.

Again, Fat Boy is full of ****, and google is not his friend.

On 8/2/18 11:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 19:26:29 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Here's a URL for you...perhaps you'll understand a bit of it.

https://is.gd/5K7EXk

I still did not see a "kaboom".

No, it was a response to Just-A-Moron, who apparently wanted to know
what "excessive headspace" was. Try to follow along, eh, fella?

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 07:17:15 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 8/2/18 11:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 19:26:29 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Here's a URL for you...perhaps you'll understand a bit of it.

https://is.gd/5K7EXk

I still did not see a "kaboom".

No, it was a response to Just-A-Moron, who apparently wanted to know
what "excessive headspace" was. Try to follow along, eh, fella?

We tried to follow along with your Vietnam story. But...it ended when questioned.

On 8/2/18 11:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 19:26:29 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Here's a URL for you...perhaps you'll understand a bit of it.

https://is.gd/5K7EXk

I still did not see a "kaboom".

No, it was a response to Just-A-Moron, who apparently wanted to know
what "excessive headspace" was. Try to follow along, eh, fella?

I was following along, waiting to hear about the kaboom you said was
going to happen. I think that is somewhere near the range fire a spark
from a BiMetal bullet started or the gas pump fire the cell phone
started.
Americans will believe anything.