Default More of that lake city .308

wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 15:46:34 -0000 (UTC), Bill

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 04:21:24 -0000 (UTC), Bill

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 19:31:27 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Keyser Soze wrote:

I forgot...what did you do in Vietnam during that war?

I stayed in the states assigned to a military airlift wing. MAW. And
fixed airborne radar units from the transports most of the time. Also was
the ILS trained guy, but never had to work on the ground based Instrument
Landing System. Unlike you, going to Vietnam as a high paid contractor.

High paid contractor? I never heard that story. I did try to get IBM
to send me there for a while and the pay was good but they wouldn't do
it. That was probably a good thing because I would have been there for
Tet. I did room with a guy in Chicago who did go through Tet in an IBM
unit in Danang and he said it was ugly.

NCR was looking for an in country rep. My co-worker took the position.
They had NCR 500 computers at each fire base for inventory control. They
did not offer enough money, offered a 50% pay increase and $300 a month
expense money. Don said they had to raise the expense money as the rent
was higher. He probably knew the IBM rep, as it seemed all the reps
rented half a retired VN generals villa. He was there for TET, and the
Saigon attack was on the villa side. The generals wife was happy as they
never lost power at the villa as they installed one of the spare generator
for the NCR systems as backup.

IBM gave you 66% and the assignment was 18 months so you didn't pay
taxes. Expenses were actual and reasonable but they were pretty easy
going on it. He could also eat at the GI mess hall by paying ComRats.
He said he ended up pretty much banking all of the salary. He ended up
with enough to buy a house when he got back.

I wonder if he was a local to me guy. We had an IBM in country rep in my
reserve unit. E3 in reserves but in Vietnam he was equivalent of Lt.C for
access. Do not know how name. Was only at the unit one summer camp.

He was from the midwest somewhere but I don't remember where. I doubt
2 1/2 years salary would buy a house in California in 1970.

I had the same kind of thing when I went to Gitmo with IBM. I was
living in the Aviation Officers Club, I had an enlisted man ID and my
escort/driver was an E5 so I could go just about anywhere I wanted.

You could buy a decent house on 2.5 years salary. Bought my first house
in Pleasant Hill for $25,000 in 1969. 3 bedroom, 1100’, and a huge lot. I
sold it in 1979 for $80k, and my house in Pleasanton was one of the more
expensive at $138,500. Now about $1.4 million.

Keyser Soze wrote:
Back on closer to topic, for a moment, anyway...

I swapped out the stock A2 compensator on my .308 for one marketed by
Jerry Miculek, and it does seem to cut back on muzzle flip for sure
and maybe on perceived recoil, too. The fire and brimstone coming out
of it, however, seem greater than with the A2, but that may be because
of different lighting, background, et cetera.

Miculek's distributor is named...wait for it... BANG, Inc. at 310
Shootout Lane in Louisiana, east of Shreveport. It is the home of
Clark Custom Guns, a company with which I've done a little bit of
business some years ago.

Is that a union shop?

John H. wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 07:46:28 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

wrote:

Keyser Soze wrote:
I forgot...what did you do in Vietnam during that war?

I stayed in the states assigned to a military airlift wing. MAW. And
fixed airborne radar units from the transports most of the time. Also was
the ILS trained guy, but never had to work on the ground based Instrument
Landing System. Unlike you, going to Vietnam as a high paid contractor.
High paid contractor? I never heard that story. I did try to get IBM
to send me there for a while and the pay was good but they wouldn't do
it. That was probably a good thing because I would have been there for
Tet. I did room with a guy in Chicago who did go through Tet in an IBM
unit in Danang and he said it was ugly.

I figured Bilious was high again and just ignored that comment.

Why do you assume I am a drunk or druggie like you and Donnie? You must
have been a high paid consultant with your education to go search for
missing bodies.

Why? Because of the semi-literate right-wing nonsense you post. I figure
no one could be as ****ed in the head as you seem to be if they were
sober. Oh, I don't drink seriously or do drugs. I've had one of my three
beers for the year.

If, as you say, you don't do drugs, how do you come up with the totally outlandish stories you
enthrall yourself with?

It's narcissism, John.

wrote:

Keyser Soze wrote:

[...]

Bought a new house in 1973 in Loudoun County, Virginia, for $22,500. It
was a 1200-square-foot trilevel subdivision house on a nice, wooded
"almost" half-acre. Whoever owned it recently sold it this past April
for $439,000. It was a cute starter house, and it was less than half of
my annual salary at the 4A's ad agency at that time. Moved up to a new
1900-square-foot house in Great Falls, Virginia, for $79,999. It
recently resold for $779,000. Built a new, custom 7,000-square-foot home
in Great Falls in about 1981 for $339,000 + lot. Last time I checked on
Zillow, it resold about two years ago for $1,459,000. Lots of inflation,
but the most surprising was that little house in Loudoun County, from
$22 and change to $439. Yowser!

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 08:42:52 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

wrote:

Keyser Soze wrote:

[...]

I paid $31k for the house in Clinton in 1971 and I got $2000 knocked
off of the price because of a dispute on the financing. It was 4Br 2
1/2 bath (split foyer) but I am not sure what the Sq/Ft was because I
am not sure how you rate the lower floor. Most of it was finished tho.
I am guessing 1800 sq/ft finished before the addition.
Half acre lot
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/72house.jpg
after addition
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/1977%20house.jpg
Note the vintage cars ;-)

I don't have a clue what it is worth today but my ex bought the vacant
lot next door so it is now on an acre and the woods behind the house
looks like it may be woods for the foreseeable future. That goes on
for quite a ways, merging into the regional park. If they haven't
changed the rules, it is enough land to allow hunting and I am sure it
holds deer. When I was hunting I have taken rabbits and squirrels out
of there.