Tim Tim is offline

Default My merc 85 is questionable.

It sat for a couple years. The transom wood on the pontoon is questionable. I’ve pulled it and will get one made. Pulled th plugs on the engine to do a compression test antbyhey were rusty. Not good. Engine isn’t locked but wondering if the crank and bearings are compromised. So.

On goes the 115. That’s the max the pontoon is rated For anyhow...

On 6/22/18 11:13 AM, Tim wrote:
It sat for a couple years. The transom wood on the pontoon is questionable. I’ve pulled it and will get one made. Pulled th plugs on the engine to do a compression test antbyhey were rusty. Not good. Engine isn’t locked but wondering if the crank and bearings are compromised. So.

On goes the 115. That’s the max the pontoon is rated For anyhow...

Worse comes to worse, you can always pick up another 25-year-old
outboard for a song.

Can you sing?

Oh, don't forget the spare stators.
Tim Tim is offline

10:23 AMKeyser Soze
On 6/22/18 11:13 AM, Tim wrote:
It sat for a couple years. The transom wood on the pontoon is questionable. I’ve pulled it and will get one made. Pulled th plugs on the engine to do a compression test antbyhey were rusty. Not good. Engine isn’t locked but wondering if the crank and bearings are compromised. So.

On goes the 115. That’s the max the pontoon is rated For anyhow....

Worse comes to worse, you can always pick up another 25-year-old
outboard for a song.

Can you sing?

Oh, don't forget the spare stators.

Not the dollar short but the day late. There was a guy that advertised an old Checkmate fixer upper. No title to the boat or trailer. Excellent running 115 . “Could hear it run on the muffs” $400.00

That ad lasted about 6 hrs. There’s another guy with the same situation with a 175 Black Max for $800.00 but it’s short shaft. I don’t know if my lower will fit it or not. But I’ll still investigate.

Oh well

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 08:13:12 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

It sat for a couple years. The transom wood on the pontoon is questionable. I’ve pulled it and will get one made. Pulled th plugs on the engine to do a compression test antbyhey were rusty. Not good. Engine isn’t locked but wondering if the crank and bearings are compromised. So.

On goes the 115. That’s the max the pontoon is rated For anyhow...

What was the compression? If the cylinder walls are rusty, it will be
low. A shot of oil in there will bring it up temporarily. After a
while the rings may even hone them down enough to be serviceable
again. It is actually pretty amazing how bad those old 2 strokers can
be and still run OK. My neighbor gets "dead" ones all the time and
breathes life back into them. This guy has a fleet of boats that Harry
could only imagine and he got them all free or very cheap.

I suppose you might want to go with the 115 if it is a better motor
tho. What is the weight difference?
Tim Tim is offline

11:21
wrote:

[...]

250 on the 85 and 360 for the 115. Plus the 115 is a taller 6cyl. So there’s going to be additional side rocking with it but with this tug it probably won’t matter much.

I also have the big Evinrude 125 but it’s a short shaft and I’d have to change over the controls etc.

11:21
wrote:

[...]

At least you get to be trailed by a cloud of two cycle smoke...

Tim Tim is offline

1:19 PMKeyser Soze
At least you get to be trailed by a cloud of two cycle smoke...

Well, with the new synthetic oils it’s not as bad as it used to be. What was it 60 years ago you took 5 gal of gas and mixed a quart of straight 30 weight motor oil to it?

Not many mosquitoes on the lake after running lot of that.

11:21
wrote:

[...]

Are you sure you even need the long shaft. Most of the toons I see
around here use a short shaft and mine is mounted 4" above stock.
The only place I have trouble is it can blow out on a tight turn if I
have it trimmed up too much.
Tim Tim is offline

2:18
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 11:08:00 -0700 (PDT), Tim
Are you sure you even need the long shaft. Most of the toons I see
around here use a short shaft and mine is mounted 4" above stock.
The only place I have trouble is it can blow out on a tight turn if I
have it trimmed up too much.

,,, oh yes. I’m pretty sure. I’ll send a pic to Eddie. How’s that?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 12:35:42 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

2:18
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 11:08:00 -0700 (PDT), Tim
Are you sure you even need the long shaft. Most of the toons I see
around here use a short shaft and mine is mounted 4" above stock.
The only place I have trouble is it can blow out on a tight turn if I
have it trimmed up too much.

,,, oh yes. I’m pretty sure. I’ll send a pic to Eddie. How’s that?

Sure. He doesn't tell me about all of the posts tho. I will be sure to
ask him about it.

Old merc 40 (4hp). [email protected] General 0 May 12th 08 04:30 AM
Merc 5.0: Not run since '02 Boater1953 General 4 March 27th 07 12:15 AM
200 Merc DOA blair Power Boat Racing 1 June 8th 05 06:54 AM
Merc 9.9 STILL not right Lloyd Sumpter General 2 July 4th 04 05:53 PM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM