Default Today's Dinner

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 10:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 1:32:31 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 16:21:28 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Its Me wrote:
On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 7:14:20 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 19:07:29 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

6:06 AMJohn H
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...pork-bbq-sauce

Looks good. Will give it a try.

I don’t have a Traeger, but the recipe does look worthy. I’ve stored it.

John this looks like it could be a big hit at the next campsite.

It was super, even if the Traeger died after about 4 hours of smoking.
The Traeger folks said it
sounded like an 'air pocket' formed when one of the pellets blocked the
flow. This has happened more
than once. I'm not nearly as keen on Traegers as I once was.

That sounds strange. Maybe the Traeger is made really differently than
my pellet grill, but the auger on mine that feeds the pellets is about 3
inches in diameter. The opening at the top of the ramp where they come
out of the auger to fall down the ramp into the burn cup is half that
size (half a circle). There's no way a single pellet can block anything.
There's no opening anywhere near that small in the entire feed system.

If I were to let the pellet supply nearly run out in the hopper I could
see getting some gaps in the pellet auger, but I just keep an eye on the
hopper and add as needed.

Only time I had that happen, the pellets were turning in to sawdust. I
have had s couple bags of the Treager pellets do that. Contact Treager
and they will replace.

I strain the dust out before putting in the hopper.

If you have a lot of dust, the pellets are bad. Odd, to me, that the
pellets in the hopper never seem to break down, but a bag of pellets next
to the BBQ will fall apart.

Living in the south with the humidity we have, I keep my pellets in one of those plastic tubs with the sealing top and wheels, and it stays indoors except when in use. And I've settled on these pellets:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00819OICI/ref=asc_df_B00819OICI5498987/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00819OICI&linkCod e=df0&hvadid=167141575819&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvran d=3517999423968242364&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev =c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010378&hvtargid=p la-306461997271

I'll put those down for my next order. I'm using a Home Depot bucket with lid for storage. It stays
in the garage, as does the grill.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 16:21:27 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 03:26:58 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Its Me wrote:
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 10:07:30 PM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
6:06 AMJohn H
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...pork-bbq-sauce

Looks good. Will give it a try.

I don?t have a Traeger, but the recipe does look worthy. I?ve stored it.

John this looks like it could be a big hit at the next campsite.

That's smoked pulled pork with North Carolina style vinegar pepper sauce.
I have a jar of homemade sauce in the fridge that's basically the
same. Good stuff, you guys will like it.

In NC, it's traditionally served on a bun with the sauce and slaw. In
most of SC, the pork is served with a mustard based sauce. Everywhere
else it's tomato based sauce. It's all good, just different.

Of course, you could always just boil the pork with a tiny pinch of salt,
maybe sprinkle with a touch of pepper if you're feeling adventurous, and
call it Maryland fat-boy BBQ.

Yuck.

All this food talk, took a nice T-bone out of the freezer. Wife marinated
it in a healthy marinade. Friend of ours was a scientist at the Livermore
National labs. Worked on an anti cancer marinade for bbq. Supposed to
counteract some of,the stuff from the fat dripping on the fire. Also
tastes good. Does not overpower the meat. Apple cider vinegar, brown
sugar, garlic, olive oil and a touch of salt is all I think.

I've started buying beef loin steaks, boneless, or I cut out the bone.
Then I use one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Jaccard-200...70_&dpSrc=srch

or: http://tinyurl.com/ycjb5uoe

Do each side three times. You wouldn't believe how tender the steak
becomes, even if it's cheap to
begin with.

Just have the store butcher run it through their tenderizer.

That cubing machine really chews the meat up. The 48 pin tenderizer
barely leaves a mark. I use meat I hit with the 48 pin in things like
stroganoff, fajitias and country fried steak too.

Tim wrote:
6:06 AMJohn H
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...pork-bbq-sauce

Looks good. Will give it a try.

I don’t have a Traeger, but the recipe does look worthy. I’ve stored it.

John this looks like it could be a big hit at the next campsite.

Did you store it in John's dossier?

John H. wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 19:07:29 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

6:06 AMJohn H
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...pork-bbq-sauce

Looks good. Will give it a try.

I don’t have a Traeger, but the recipe does look worthy. I’ve stored it.

John this looks like it could be a big hit at the next campsite.

It was super, even if the Traeger died after about 4 hours of smoking. The Traeger folks said it
sounded like an 'air pocket' formed when one of the pellets blocked the flow. This has happened more
than once. I'm not nearly as keen on Traegers as I once was.

But, the pulled pork was spectacular. Once I wrap it in tinfoil, it goes in the oven. Can't see
using pellets for that part of the operation.

You can get a cheap remote thermometer to alert you if the temp drops
below a number you choose.

Its Me wrote:
[...]

Our local Safeway has a pin tenderizer. Does not seem to tear the meat up
like the old days.

Tim Tim is offline

Alex
Tim wrote:
6:06 AMJohn H
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...pork-bbq-sauce

Looks good. Will give it a try.

I don’t have a Traeger, but the recipe does look worthy. I’ve stored it.

John this looks like it could be a big hit at the next campsite.

Did you store it in John's dossier?

........,

Not yet. Lol!

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 20:01:08 -0400, Alex wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 19:07:29 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

6:06 AMJohn H
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...pork-bbq-sauce

Looks good. Will give it a try.

I don’t have a Traeger, but the recipe does look worthy. I’ve stored it.

John this looks like it could be a big hit at the next campsite.

It was super, even if the Traeger died after about 4 hours of smoking. The Traeger folks said it
sounded like an 'air pocket' formed when one of the pellets blocked the flow. This has happened more
than once. I'm not nearly as keen on Traegers as I once was.

But, the pulled pork was spectacular. Once I wrap it in tinfoil, it goes in the oven. Can't see
using pellets for that part of the operation.

You can get a cheap remote thermometer to alert you if the temp drops
below a number you choose.

Hell, I was at Home Depot and couldn't have done much anyway. With the Traeger controller, the
remedy is to unload everything from the grill, clean out the fire box, and go through the restart
process, all of which is another 10-15 minutes. Then the meat has to reheat.

It was easier just to wrap it and throw it in the oven. Traeger is sending another controller. We'll
see how that works.
Tim Tim is offline

John H
Hell, I was at Home Depot and couldn't have done much anyway. With the Traeger controller, the
remedy is to unload everything from the grill, clean out the fire box, and go through the restart
process, all of which is another 10-15 minutes. Then the meat has to reheat.

It was easier just to wrap it and throw it in the oven. Traeger is sending another controller. We'll
see how that works.

That sounds reasonable to finish it up. All the main work is taken care of the first round....

What's for Dinner John H.[_5_] General 29 April 17th 18 09:17 PM
Great Dinner Keyser Söze General 19 March 12th 18 11:17 PM
Look who's coming to dinner.... True North[_2_] General 5 September 12th 14 01:29 AM
Dinner has arrived Eisboch General 29 February 9th 08 03:41 PM
getting invited to dinner purple_stars Cruising 6 February 7th 06 03:07 AM