purple_stars

Default getting invited to dinner

hi folks,

in your cruising adventures, how do you go about meeting the locals and
really getting to know some new people ? i'm interested in some of your
stories about meeting people at your various destinations, etc ...
basically, how do you get invited to dinner ? lol. it seems easy to
meet fellow cruisers at the harbor, you are all doing more/less the
same thing, there is some sense of community, and there's the radio
also to keep you talking. but what about meeting locals ?

i'm guessing that in some places this is harder than in others. for
example - small island destinations that get a ton of cruising traffic
probably treat cruisers more as customers than guests, and i am
guessing the last thing they want is another sailor hanging around
their house, they've all been there/done that. but more out of the way
places i would think would be very interested in cruisers and extend to
them some hospitality .. maybe ?

Capt. JG

"purple_stars" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, in Mallorca, we just wondered around. My pigeon Spanish was enough to
order beers and not offend too many people. We found the most amazing
hole-in-the-wall restaurant. The dish we wanted had to be ordered in
advance, so we ate something else and came back the next night. The owners
were very cordial and invited us back the third night on the house, which we
argued about for an hour before coming to a compromise. They were not that
well off.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

We're working on 6 years of full time Pacific Islands cruising and
you're right; in some places it's harder than others to meet the
locals. In any place with a population of less than 50 and somewhat
off the beaten track (there are dozens of these) you will be a major
attraction. Expect to be invited to meals and celebrations of all
kinds. The cost is that you will be expected to give a speach or sing
a song or dance a dance or in some other way provide some entertainment
for the local folk... Pictures and movies can be good too. Prepare
something in advance. In bigger places you may find that some cultures
are more interested in guests than others. In the Pacific making
genuine friends with a Tongan takes a major effort but in parts of
Vanuatu and Fiji if you show up in the same bay twice in a decade
you'll find yourself adopted into the local village...

If you are interested in local cultures it really helps to stay for
some time in the places that interest you and take the time to get off
your boat and talk to the locals! Visiting the local church or shool
can be a good way to meet folks, but making an investment of some time
is the best bet for really getting a feel for the local situation. For
example, we spent two months in Niuatoputapu this year. We were one of
the first boats of the season to arrive and one of the last to leave.
While we were there more than 70 boats came through. Most stayed for
less than 3 days, many never got off their boats and, of course, most
didn't meet any locals who weren't selling them something. By the time
we had left we had met most of the locals, had dozens of meals with
them and knew a good deal about them. By contrast, and despite the
fact that there were weekly pot lucks, where we went and took notes, we
knew hardly any of the cruisers who passed through...

-- Tom

Dennis Pogson

purple_stars wrote:
[...]

On the really remote islands, make sure you are not the meal! Very large
cooking pots are a dead giveaway!

Thomas Wentworth

This is funny. Here in New England, if you are on a boat you are just a
sucker for the local thieves [ marina's ] but in some remote island, you are
company.

And you wonder why people hate America?

===============
[...]

Bob

Hi:

Speaking of cannibals......... I had lunch with a cannibal December
1979. I was walking the beech near Vatukarasa, Fiji (big island) and
found a ball of 200 lb test fishing line that had washed up. Can't
pass up such a valuable gift when offered by Neptun Rex. I took it back
to the village, sat down under a coconut tree, and started to
straighten out the mess. Frustration was setting in quickly. One of the
Tavuto kids came over and told me that an old man in the village could
help me straighten out the tangle. Turned out the old guy was totally
blind. We sat there for most of the morning. Not a word on his part.
His fingers worked the tangles out as I coiled the line. Rather
remarkable considering he was totally blind working solely by feel. I
am not sure what they found interesting but there were always about
4-6 people just sitting around watching as we worked.

Turns out, as I was told later that night after several bowls of
yanquana with the men, he was their last living cannibal. I suppose the
village found it somewhat interesting watching him work so closely
with, in earlier times, a potential meal.

How to meet locals? Get away from your boat and loud mouth Americans
who believe all should bow before the all and mighty American dollar.
Look and act as though you are poor.

Bob

Rosalie B.

The way to get acquainted with people no matter where you are is to
get off your boat and get out into the community and talk to people
and be really genuinely interested in what they say.

"purple_stars" wrote:

[...]

grandma Rosalie