Default What's for Dinner

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 20:07:18 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 18:04:53 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 14:01:01 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 13:02:31 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 12:38:56 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 09:15:32 -0400, John H.
wrote:

Going to give this a shot.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...cocked-chicken

Donnie, please don't be offended. After all, it's Sunday.

Looks good. Sounds like a good place for some smoke. I end up doing
that on the gas grille but it is really not a smoker I do throw
hickory chips in there tho.
I am not that much on the breast meat tho I am a leg man so I cook
thigh quarters. It is not spatchcocking tho. I just "Obamize" them
(remove the backbone)

I'd do nothing but thighs and legs, but my wife won't eat them. She has to have the white meat.

My wife says she just likes white meat but when it is boned out, she
takes the thighs. I don't use white for any kind of soup type thing
but I do use it in parmesan

My wife makes a 'chicken chili' in the crockpot with chicken breasts. Have to admit it's pretty damn
good.

Never did chicken chili but we make turkey chili. It is the way to get
rid of a few pounds of left over turkey without eating sandwiches for
a week.

I've bought the ground turkey and used it for turkey chili several times. I prefer the beef, but
there really isn't much difference in the taste of the final product.

wrote:

[...]

That is why just about any kind of meat will work.
I wouldn't buy turkey just to make chili but we do cook a turkey
fairly often throughout the year and it is a great way to use the
leftover meat. Same with beef or pork roast.
Chili was originally just the pot that hung on the back of the chuck
wagon and they threw in whatever they came up with. It was always
cooking.

wrote:

[...]

It ****es me off that the stores carry fresh turkey only at Thanksgiving. I'd cook one three or
four times a year if they could be had. Giant will special order one, but the cost is prohibitive.
$45 for a small fresh one is ridiculous. I've got a couple in the freezer from the Christmas sales
though. Have to admit the Traeger pellet grill does a nice job on turkeys.

wrote:

[...]

We see fresh ones here from time to time off season but they are more
expensive. It is hard to beat those 49 cent/lb loss leaders on the
holidays for the frozen one. Our off season price is usually $1.49
frozen, $2.99 and up for fresh. Fresh is better but not $3+ a pound
better. In the smoker I doubt it makes that much difference anyway.
I have actually read a lot of articles that say a fresh "market"
turkey (not some designer bird) is not always better anyway. The
frozen one was flash frozen immediately after it was dressed out. That
"fresh" one might be well over a month old. "Frozen" and "fresh" are
just marketing terms anyway. You can hold a turkey for a couple months
at 26 F and still call it fresh. It will be full of ice and hard as a
carp. They also do not really have a freeze monitor on them so you are
just taking a lot of people's word for it. The main advantage seems to
be you don't have to wait for it to thaw out.

wrote:

[...]

When I was a kid, we had turkey a lot. Mostly fresh as that is what
housewife’s makes in Oakland sold. Was tasty, and reasonably priced.
And was easy to fix for a couple days meals. Will try turkey chili with
the next leftovers.

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 18:46:04 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

[...]

You guys got me thinking about turkey and I picked up a 13 pounder
today (99 cents a pound on sale)
Tim Tim is offline

7:27
You guys got me thinking about turkey and I picked up a 13 pounder
today (99 cents a pound on sale)

I’m about to get an oil boiler and do some turkeys that way. Yes, they are that cheap...

wrote:

[...]

I've done a couple of turkey breasts on the pellet grill, but not a whole bird. Reportedly, whole birds don't come out so great, as the wings and such can get leathery while the rest gets done.

I like smoking chicken wings with a little seasoning then quick frying them to get them crispy (awesome!) or just doing a whole chicken with minced fresh garlic, lemon juice, chopped fresh rosemary and olive oil rub all over. Grind some black pepper over it, put a couple of lemon halves in the cavity, and you're good to go.

Did pig candy yesterday. Gave most of it away at work today. Everyone loves me.

Tim wrote:

7:27
You guys got me thinking about turkey and I picked up a 13 pounder
today (99 cents a pound on sale)

I’m about to get an oil boiler and do some turkeys that way. Yes, they are that cheap...

They are good that way. But remember to defrost the bird first!
I use my turkey fryer mostly to boil crabs. Frying turkey is expensive if
you rarely fry them. The oil, even if not peanut oil is expensive for a 1
or 2 frying times.

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 8:40:37 PM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
7:27
You guys got me thinking about turkey and I picked up a 13 pounder
today (99 cents a pound on sale)

I’m about to get an oil boiler and do some turkeys that way. Yes, they are that cheap...

Get an injector. Turkeys are great fried. Make sure they are *completely* thawed and dried before slowly dunking them in the hot oil.

Great Dinner Keyser Söze General 19 March 12th 18 11:17 PM
Look who's coming to dinner.... True North[_2_] General 5 September 12th 14 01:29 AM
Thanksgiving dinner Frogwatch[_2_] General 6 November 24th 08 09:20 PM
Thanksgiving Dinner for under $10. Short Wave Sportfishing General 0 November 22nd 07 01:24 AM