Default Not all the news is bad

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 14:28:20 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/7/2018 11:40 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 11:14:34 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 09:35:21 -0400, UseNet wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 07:18:09 -0400, John H.
wrote:

From CNN no less...

"So why are Democrats struggling to grow their generic ballot advantage? Because they continue to
ignore three political realities: Most Americans aren't as liberal as their outraged base voters
(especially in urban areas); most voters want their taxes to go down instead of up; and most voters
want the parties to work together when it makes sense. I'll give you examples of each:"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/opini...ons/index.html

-Most Americans aren't as liberal as their outraged base voters...

Well, that's number one and I don't know if the Democratic old guard
will ever get that. Maybe, in time, they will score points with the
millenials, but in reality, they millenials will most likely become
more conservative over time. In the meantime, they are playing up to a
minority of their own party that is out of touch with damn near
everybody and everything.

- most voters want their taxes to go down instead of up

That's a pipe dream. With the raging deficit begun by Reagan and added
to each year since, especially a $1.2T debt created by the current
self avowed "king of debt," as in "I love debt...." Taxes will have
to go UP, just to pay the interest only. You can have that drunken,
feel-good, things will work out, rave... just know that the bar tab,
with interest, will come due.

What taxes 'have to do' was not the statement. Most voters do not want taxes to go up is a true
statement, even though they would like the debt to go down.

The problem is congress refuses to cut spending. Every dollar they
spend is somebody's sacred caw and that translates into votes.

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters
discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public
treasury."
"From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who
promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result
that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy,
which is always followed by a dictatorship."

We seem to be rapidly approaching that crash.

Congress has become a joke and both parties are to blame.

Saw a short interview with a couple of Jr. Senators and
Congressmen who are serving their first terms in office.

Both admitted to a rude awakening in terms of how congress
really works compared to their previous, naive expectations.
It's all about pork barrel programs intended to get re-elected.
The best interests of the country are not close to being a priority.

===

So how can we get term limits on these rascals? They're not likely to
vote them in on their own.

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 09:35:21 -0400, UseNet wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 07:18:09 -0400, John H.
wrote:

From CNN no less...

[...]

Agreed, but that wasn't the point. The point was that most voters want their taxes to go down
instead of up.

wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 09:35:21 -0400, UseNet wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 07:18:09 -0400, John H.
wrote:

From CNN no less...

[...]

Yup and they want more "free" stuff. That is exactly the point of the
piece. As long as the people are too dumb to know that is not possible
and the politicians are afraid to tell them, we are doomed.
We have 2 or 3 generations of snowflakes who think there really is a
free lunch and they have lived their whole lives with nothing bad ever
happening to them.
As the last of the depression/WWII people die off, there is not even
anyone to tell them. Bad **** CAN happen and it is very likely it
will, probably before I die and certainly in my kid's life times.
The bubble that will bring us down is debt because you can't borrow
your way out of that one and that seems to be the only tool in the bag
other than austerity, not seen since the 30s.
Prior to the depression, our money was backed by gold and silver. Now
it is just backed by thoughts and prayers.